sfran43

Monday Numbers

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not so sure what you mean exactly by that, yes the bechdeltest is a bit ridiculous, Gravity does not pass the test, Transformer 4 do under some criteria, but the point remain that I do not think it was by false play (despicable me 3 pass the test quite cleanly and is also missing).

It could be too, maybe they knew putting Transformer 4 on that list could make it look ridiculous, but living only one out would be too suspicious....

I am not interested enough to read through those lists and the comments/discussions per title, but as the Transformers discussions shows, there are - in my POV - big reasons to not include it on the list.

To speak about something else, is in my POV not that sole exchange (plus even if not also adding to a 'speak' the male in that scene adds to that IMHO) = that sounds to me like 'The weather is wet?' 'Yes.' It is not 'speak about something beside men' it seems more like one person asking for confirmation (unneeded, as a 'joke'?) not to another female, but to a male and a female co-car-driver (term?), and so on.

Despicable Me is animated? The text is also about certain groups,.... trying to convincing the old white men (as a cliché, there are other too, I am aware) to dare to try to change and cast more females?

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Despicable Me is animated? The text is also about certain groups,.... trying to convincing the old white men (as a cliché, there are other too, I am aware) to dare to try to change and cast more females?

Now I am curious sure you have actually did go read the actual study refereed by deadline you posted ? It is at the bottom of the article:

https://shift7.com/media-research

Zootopia & Dory are on the list.

5 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

big reasons to not include it on the list.

Yeah maybe they did lie on purpose on all the movies that made a billion passed the Bechdel test or knew it would show that the metric was ridiculous if they would have shown to the reader that does not know much about the subject that this criteria would include a movie like T4.

But yes, your trying to convince (clear agenda) critics you make of the exercise look like it is true.

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Now I am curious sure you have actually did go read the actual study refereed by deadline you posted ? It is at the bottom of the article:

https://shift7.com/media-research

Zootopia & Dory are on the list.

Yeah maybe they did lie on purpose on all the movies that made a billion passed the Bechdel test or knew it would show that the metric was ridiculous if they would have shown to the reader that does not know much about the subject that this criteria would include a movie like T4.

But yes, your trying to convince (clear agenda) critics you make of the exercise look like it is true.

Aehm I do not see a lie, I think we do not speak about the same

As said, I am not interested enough to read it, as far as I can see its about differences in BO results if or if not females speak... blabla,

The titles you named were as far as I know (I do not follow animated) successful enough to be added, but were not for some reason or the other (I really do not care), hence I do not understand what you are speaking about. I checked only bcs you quoted me (and I respect you very much) and explicit mentioned Transformes,... read up, saw there are strong reasons to not include it and therefore see that there might be reasons to exclude a movie beside being successful enough to even further the cause.

I am all for including way more females in the not cliché way, I posted the link only bcs I find it interesting that there seem to be a difference at all (not even interested into how high said differences are) and someone thought about to check for that.

IMHO the 'test' is too vague in general for using it for more anyway, hence my not existing interest for more

12 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Aehm I do not see a lie, I think we do not speak about the same

I think you didn't follow.

They say every of the 11 movie released between 2014 to 2017 that reached 1 billion did pass the bechdel test. I look up on Mojo and I see that 14 movies reached 1 billion, not 11 movie making their statement strange.

I look the list, seem to be missing 3 movies and like I said I do not think they lied about it or didn't put in there intentionally because they do pass the Bechdel test. But if such a glaring error about something so easy to look (the list of movie reaching 1 billion over 3 year's of theatrical release), what else could it be wrong ? They do not show the data they use, we need to rely on the work quality and that big of a mistake show up by just a simple quick read. And it is not like deadline would do much validate work of something before quoting it.

Then you answer you should read the comments under Transformer 4 bechdel test card, implying I imagine that maybe they did lie and leaved out of the list intentionally I imagine (or I am not sure what you wanted to add here).

17 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

IMHO the 'test' is too vague in general for using it for more anyway, hence my not existing interest for more

It try to really not be vague (and it is in part why it tend to look ridiculous), it is rather strict and easy to automatise in a quasi systematic way. It is just that it is testing for something a bit ridiculous that make Gravity fail and the reverse bechdel test (do 2 male talk alone not about the protagonist....) tend to fail often as well because if the movie isn't made by Tarantino it is quite common for supporting character to have very little dialogue without a main one and to be about the main characther if they have a dialogue. The test do not add that much information versus simply a % of movie with a lead female character.

20 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

and someone thought about to check for that.

Yep, it was interesting and why I did try to check, but sadly seem really complicated, they do not share their data make it a bit useless in regard of a quick check and where the data came from need paid accounts (probably why they cannot give us the data used).

• ...wtf 1