cookie

Cookie Does Requests or Whatever (Cookie's Corner Y6) - Unlike Garfield, this thread doesn't hate Mondays

Mass Effect: Ascension

Spoiler

Spoiler

So remember how I said the first Mass Effect was basically Mission: Impossible in space? Ascension is still that but mixed in with a bit of Jack Ryan

Spoiler

Spoiler

and Iron Man 3, for reasons that won't be spoiled

for good measure. This has its benefits and its drawbacks at the same time.

One of the things that impressed me with the first film was how brisk it felt in terms of pacing. It was sort of relentless, worked fast and was a pretty easy watch. Ascension is slower and a bit more intimate, and it takes a fair while for the game to reveal itself. That, on the one hand, is good because the film, in general, feels more confident in regards to its characters and allows them room for development that would've been otherwise taken up by action sequences (not that there aren't a fair amount of them, but they're smaller in overall scale than the first film). This does also mean that the pacing isn't as tight as the first film.

I think the movie starts to stretch itself going into the last third. I love me some Garrus, but the whole ten minute bit of him and Shepard snooping around in the Citadel trying to figure out something the audience already knows, on top of his late introduction, is where the film gets long in the tooth for me. I honestly think that segment could've been streamlined where the culprit is revealed to them much quicker since it's already been revealed to us.

Pacing issues aside, the strength of this film still lies on the report between the various members of the Normandy crew, but this time they're joined by a subplot involving two psychic-powered teenagers that becomes a bigger and bigger factor as the story proceeds. It gets to that point where it starts to maybe risk overshadowing the lingering dynamic between Shepard and Banes (spoilers, he's back, whatever), but the movie does make up for it with an extended final showdown between the two.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Not sure if leaving Banes alive so he can return a third time won't be cause for diminishing returns, so I hope the succeeding films keep him more in the background.

Mass Effect's ambitions have admittedly never been on the same level as the likes of SparkVoltron or Scavenger Wars in the space opera pantheon, at least not at the moment, but there is something to be said about the niche its carved for its own in that realm. Since it appears that the overarching storyline is soon going to be overlap with the games, though, that appears it's about to be rectified — and if it follows through, rectified big time.

Spoiler

Spoiler

And Don Draper as Illusive Man is hype

A-/B+

To address my earlier posts:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I started thinking this was going to be a bit similar to Scavvies 2 in some areas (the split narrative between a troubled space officer and a psychic teenager gave those vibes), but I'll freely admit I jumped the gun on that front since the movie went off in a very different direction.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, cookie said:

Reveal hidden contents

The last part is somewhat a problem for GLCH. Even though it’s basically Sinestro’s origin.

Shit.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

23 minutes ago, cookie said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

So remember how I said the first Mass Effect was basically Mission: Impossible in space? Ascension is still that but mixed in with a bit of Jack Ryan

Hide contents

Spoiler

and Iron Man 3, for reasons that won't be spoiled

for good measure. This has its benefits and its drawbacks at the same time.

One of the things that impressed me with the first film was how brisk it felt in terms of pacing. It was sort of relentless, worked fast and was a pretty easy watch. Ascension is slower and a bit more intimate, and it takes a fair while for the game to reveal itself. That, on the one hand, is good because the film, in general, feels more confident in regards to its characters and allows them room for development that would've been otherwise taken up by action sequences (not that there aren't a fair amount of them, but they're smaller in overall scale than the first film). This does also mean that the pacing isn't as tight as the first film.

I think the movie starts to stretch itself going into the last third. I love me some Garrus, but the whole ten minute bit of him and Shepard snooping around in the Citadel trying to figure out something the audience already knows, on top of his late introduction, is where the film gets long in the tooth for me. I honestly think that segment could've been streamlined where the culprit is revealed to them much quicker since it's already been revealed to us.

Pacing issues aside, the strength of this film still lies on the report between the various members of the Normandy crew, but this time they're joined by a subplot involving two psychic-powered teenagers that becomes a bigger and bigger factor as the story proceeds. It gets to that point where it starts to maybe risk overshadowing the lingering dynamic between Shepard and Banes (spoilers, he's back, whatever), but the movie does make up for it with an extended final showdown between the two.

Hide contents

Spoiler

Not sure if leaving Banes alive so he can return a third time won't be a cause for diminishing returns, so I hope the succeeding films keep him more in the background.

Mass Effect's ambitions have admittedly never been on the same level as the likes of SparkVoltron or Scavenger Wars in the space opera pantheon, at least not at the moment, but there is something to be said about the niche its carved for its own in that realm. Since it appears that the overarching storyline is soon going to be overlap with the games, though, that appears it's about to be rectified — and if it follows through, rectified big time.

Hide contents

Spoiler

And Don Draper as Illusive Man is hype

A-/B+

To address my earlier posts:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I started thinking this was going to be a bit similar to Scavvies 2 in some areas (the split narrative between a troubled space officer and a psychic teenager gave those vibes), but I'll freely admit I jumped the gun on that front since the movie went off in a very different direction.

I can understand the third act feeling a little drawn out. In hindsight I could have trimmed a little of the Detective Sessions.

As for a certain thing you mentioned. It honestly came down to a metaphorical coinflip. On mobile so creating spoiler tags is a bit difficult so it can wait for when I get home. Unless you want to take it to PMs.

• Like 1

Sorry @4815162342, last thing I will say about Sp4rk:

For people who haven't read it this contains spoilers.

Regarding the soltarans post Xevarre's face turn, I tried to frame it so that Xevarre didn't want to defeat the resistance but was going to be put under immense pressure by Dheamus. (He should have had a bit more screen time i admit).

Thus, IMO Xevarre's heel face turn isn't truly set in stone until she destroys the oscillator once and for all. The finale was definitely a bit interestingly structured in how it zig zags on who the real threat is, but I think this point could boil down to a creative risk that wasn't quite smoothly executed.

Per Everett...I admit he was the one character that I almost wanted to cut entirely but given what I set up in the past, I admit that Everett kinda got shorter ends of the stick than other characters, as he was one character I never really felt confident in resolving.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cookie said:

Deleted scene from Most Wanted Man in Britain:

Spoiler

Hide contents

giphy.gif

Hmm

Edit: I know what cookie is referring to and it disproves Anton Ego's claim in Ratatouille.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

Wilmot goes to fetch his horse, and finds that the blacksmith for some reason is stalling. However, two and two clicks, and Wilmot asks the blacksmith “What did you do?” The blacksmith says he did what he had to. The blacksmith grabs a hot iron from a fire and points it at Wilmot and says they’ll wait here for the soldiers. Wilmot replies “Not fucking likely” and grabs a nearby hammer, dodges the stab of the red-hot iron, and smacks the blacksmith in the head with the hammer. The blacksmith crumples to the floor. Wilmot straightens out his jacket and calmly exits the building, climbs onto his horse, and rides off.

This scene is fucking awesome and I legit laughed out loud as it happened.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

He's Ramsay Bolton, Jarek and a reddit troll all rolled into one. He's amazing.

I actually toned down a couple things from my initial draft.

He's a completely invented character to give some additional drama and tension to the movie, since in real life it was more of just a general manhunt with no real organization to it.

Edited by 4815162342

The Most Wanted Man in Great Britain

Spoiler

Spoiler

This is the third installment in Numbers 'history' trilogy, which so far has hade quite the stellar track record (And the Band Played On and Fortnight were my #1 picks of their respective years). Does this third installment, depicting a young Charles II's escape from a Cromwell-ruled England, stack up to such high expectations.

Let me just go ahead and say that for whoever vies my #1 spot this year already has tough competition, for yep, this was awesome.

I think the most surprising part is how fun and funny a lot of it is. Even if it's mostly a straightforward drama, there are more than a few randomly awesome bits that not only I think would really go down well with a big crowd, but also make the movie feel very breezy even against its historical backdrop.

And even outside the awesome bits, it's genuinely engaging. I don't know how much attention @4815162342 paid to historical detail, but as a story, it's really engrossing and you come to care about the characters involved. Tom Holland and Florence Pugh have nice chemistry

Spoiler

Spoiler

and I felt genuinely sad when Pugh revealed that baby was stillborn even if we had just met its parents two minutes earlier

and Sam Heughan is a real dark horse as Wilmot. That hammer scene is cinematic perfection.

But my god, as brief as his scenes are, just hand Best Supporting Actor to Dan Stevens as The Colonel right now. He's such a shithead that the combined jealousness coming from Ben Foster, Justin Theroux and Boyd Holbrook can be smelled from the next town over. There's not a single moment he isn't a massive turd, and my new headcanon is that he was just born that way. Seriously, Stevens is a riot whenever he's on screen and if there's anything I wish this movie had more of was more scenes of him being a complete bastard.

I don't actually have that much else to say that wouldn't just be me heaping praise at this point, so here's the grade:

A

Congratulations on three home runs in a row, @4815162342

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 2