cookie

Cookie Does Requests or Whatever (Cookie's Corner Y6) - Unlike Garfield, this thread doesn't hate Mondays

29 minutes ago, cookie said:

* checks queue *

Gonna do everything up until the Shuri sextet tonight, but I’ll be switching its place with Super Red Luigi Bros. so I can make that the main event.

Big gulp

Oh yeah, I was supposed to review stuff.

The Feminist

One day, God was very bored, so he decided to rip a hole in the space time continuum and merge Pureflix and Feminist Frequency together so that they would create a singular contraption of contradiction: Pureminist Flixquency. God then dropped a story treatment for an adaptation of the Book of Judges at their feet, commanding them to make the most generic but oddly gory and weirdly short version of it they possibly could.

Pureminist Flixquency then wrote a screenplay and, at the behest of God, borrowed a bucket of leftover blood each from the sets of Odyssey: Homecoming, The Scavenger Wars Part II and The Epsilon Syndicate. The three buckets were offered as a gift to the executives of New Journey Pictures, busy picking their teeth with Daniel Henney's Oscar statuette. who greenlit the movie for thy be God's will.

God, pleased with this random task being fulfilled, rewarded his studio followers with a lone badass nail and hammer scene onto the script, then commanded them to make the movie. Thus, The Feminist, a 76-minute blood and gore fest with a girl power message tacked on at the end, was conceived.

C+

Edited by cookie
  • Haha 3

de Blob

Not sure if mixing your social inequality metaphor with the Invasion of the Starfish Nazis was the best move to make, kinda muddies what story the film is trying to tell.

Other than that... it's fine. Colorful, sometimes funny and pretty energetic, but with not too many surprises. A bit like last year's Splatoon.

B-

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cookie said:

de Blob

Not sure if mixing your social inequality metaphor with the Invasion of the Starfish Nazis was the best move to make, kinda muddies what story the film is trying to tell with.

Other than that... it's fine. Colorful, sometimes funny and pretty energetic, but with not too many surprises. A bit like last year's Splatoon.

B-

I'll take it.

The Adventures of Shuri, Nazi Scammer (and five other stories, I guess)

I've got one more movie after this before I head to bed, so I'll make this quick:

Shuri good. Stories fun, if some are a bit too brief for my taste. Not sure if the bookend was really needed given how none of the stories connected outside of the central theme, and is unfortunately the weakest part since Shuri's apparent split personality was kinda confusing. Alt-righters getting comeuppance always fun to watch, but Mulaney doesn't get much to do.

Could've either just been the stories (and thus make room for more of them) or had a stronger bookend.

B/B-

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

Super Italian Communist Plumbers: Da Movie (the one without Eddie Valiant)

Spoiler

I'll be honest, I was trepidatious to Oscar Isaac being cast as Mario. Can't really see him doing the WAHOO, or the YAHOO, or the MAMMA MIA, or the AH, RAVIOLI and all other assorted Charles Martinet sound clips.

Jay Baruchel as my green boi is near perfect casting tho, so Luigi wins again by doing absolutely nothing.

Okay, serious review time.

I... kinda loved this? ...Up to a point?

To explain what I mean by this, one thing I should start with is that the movie handles its themes of immigration and treatment of outsiders much better than you'd expect at first glance, and the movie provides a pretty strong emotional core for both Mario brothers to hold on to. It's also pretty good at handling its source material in a way that creates a fun narrative, and for the first two acts the pacing was very smooth and the movie avoided numerous pitfalls it could've made. As a plus, the numerous Toads are far less annoying than they could've been.

Unfortunately, once Bowser finally bursts in and kidnaps Peach the movie gets hit by a serious case of what I shall now call the Green Lantern Corps syndrome (this is the second time I've referenced Green Lantern Corps this year and it may not be the last).

I assumed by that point we were at the end of the second act, it sure felt like it. Turns out we weren't, and now an additional and frankly unnecessary half-hour is tacked on where the plumbers and a remorseful Daisy (her subplot is really good, but it feels like it begins and resolves twice) go on a rather lengthy adventure together. Honestly, that should've been saved for a sequel, or at least cut out the entire cactus desert bit since it honestly doesn't lead to much and the actual third act ends up very rushed as a result.

It's really a shame because @YourMother the Edgelord had something really strong going with those first two acts, and he probably could've cut out a huge chunk of the last forty-five minutes or at least chopped it down so that they arrive at Delfini beach much earlier. Even at two whole hours, the film feels like it's moving way too fast in its last half.

I gave Green Lantern Corps a pretty big pass because what I felt it did right, it did right. Super Mario Bros. is even more so, and what could've been close to a straight A (seriously!) sadly drops down to a:

B/B+

Sorry.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I understand perfectly. In hindsight I did wonder if it was too long but I’m glad you at least liked it.

I mean, Mario is my favorite video game franchise of all time next to Zelda, so I was never going to hate it. I even have a huge soft spot for the live-action movie, despite how much it botches the source material.

I think you really were on the right track but decided to overstretch yourself just as you were supposed to wrap everything up. It happens.

Edited by cookie

Just now, cookie said:

I mean, Mario is my favorite video game franchise of all time next to Zelda, so I was never going to hate it. As much as the live-action movie butches the material, I have a huge soft spot for it still.

I think you really were on the right track but decided to overstretch yourself just as you were supposed to wrap everything up. It happens.

How does it compare to my other animation.