Crunching the Numbers: Year 6

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

14A.

Reveal hidden contents

14B.

Hide contents

Green Arrow

Did I still get a point here because I guessed Green Arrow at #15?

Edited by cookie

59 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

THE GREAT TOP 10 REVEAL

First, let's get two things out of the way:

Reveal hidden contents

Now that that is taken care of, the task is simple. Guess the remaining films of the Top 10, including their placement. As before you get 1 point for correct film, and 3 points for a correct placement. Instead of GIFs though, the clues will be songs and or clips. Please note that some of these clues require knowledge of the clip in context, or a logical link between an element of the video and the film title, or just a similar mood/theme So lets get started.

No Gateways, time to panic

In order of the songs/clips:

Borrasca (#9)

Chuck Norris & Liam Neeson (#2)

Paradise Island (#1)

The Trapped Keeper (#6)

Gateways (#4)

Lumberjanes: Secret of the Eye (#5)

Walking With You (#7)

Thirsty (#10)

Edited by cookie

I like the U2 song and the Heart song!

I see that Borrasca, Aeroplane, and Children of Eden are definitely there... I'm stumped by the others. Haven't read Paradise Island yet so the first thing that came to my head for #3 was Ancient Magus' Bride--I would be very surprised if that made any top ten, so I doubt that, personally...

A few people already know a certain opinion of mine, so I will share it now for full disclosure.

THE MOST DISAPPOINTING FILM OF THE YEAR

In The Aeroplane Over the Sea

I appreciate the thought and attention and craft that went into making this movie. It is competently constructed, well paced, and features dynamic integration of music. It has foundations for something pretty good.

But there is a problem. A major problem.

The film is centered on a romantic relationship between a guy in his mid-20s and a hallucination of an Underage teen ghost and exploits both erotic and Holocaust exploitation imagery to say that it's okay because it helped create an iconic music album. Yeah....no. I can't buy into the film's tacit approval and shrug at it. There's no judging, no condemnation, no concern, no nothing. It's depicted as a strange quirk that led to something great, and every other character in the movie is a flat sounding board that exists purely to validate the main character's music with only one person expressing the slightest skepticism.

It's not something that sits well with me at all. And it's because of that that I consider the film the most disappointing, as early reactions from some people here led me to believe that perhaps the film delicately and smartly navigated a premise that from day one had me somewhat concerned. Sadly, it does not.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

A few people already know a certain opinion of mine, so I will share it now for full disclosure.

THE MOST DISAPPOINTING FILM OF THE YEAR

In The Aeroplane Over the Sea

I appreciate the thought and attention and craft that went into making this movie. It is competently constructed, well paced, and features dynamic integration of music. It has foundations for something pretty good.

But there is a problem. A major problem.

The film is centered on a romantic relationship between a guy in his mid-20s and a hallucination of an Underage teen ghost and exploits both erotic and Holocaust exploitation imagery to say that it's okay because it helped create an iconic music album. Yeah....no. I can't buy into the film's tacit approval and shrug at it. There's no judging, no condemnation, no concern, no nothing. It's depicted as a strange quirk that led to something great, and every other character in the movie is a flat sounding board that exists purely to validate the main character's music with only one person expressing the slightest skepticism.

It's not something that sits well with me at all. And it's because of that that I consider the film the most disappointing, as early reactions from some people here led me to believe that perhaps the film delicately and smartly navigated a premise that from day one had me somewhat concerned. Sadly, it does not.

Thank you for this. If you believe that I failed to say there was something perverse and wrong with Jeff's situation, and if you believe the way I wrote it gave the impression that the situation was excusable for the purpose of making good music, then you have every right to call the film out for that reason. That is absolutely not what I was trying to suggest, but if the film can be seen as having suggested that, then that speaks to the shortcomings of the film as well as my own. I had good intentions, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

10. Borrasca 

7. Trapper Keeper

9. Thirsty

2. Gateways

4. Children of eden 

8. He Man IV

1. Paradise Island

3. Lumberjanes

Change He-Man to Skeletor IV and you might be on to something :jeb!: