cookie

Cookie's Re-evaluation Corner - New reviews of CAYOM films of old

I think back in Y5 I said something in the vein that my attitude towards reviewing films had changed a bit since I and most of CAYOM's current inhabitants first started back in Y1. Part of that is because we naturally grow as people and gain new understandings and appreciation of things, but I think it's also because I had somewhat different priorities back then than I do in recent years.

In fact, I recently went back and read some of my old reviews, and while I stand by more than a few of them and think a fair amount have held up okay... others kinda haven't. I think, in admittance, that I got more easily hung up on certain elements and let those dictate my verdict, plus I tried maybe a little too hard at times to be humorous at the cost of actually having anything to say, though even now I resort to memes and jokes when I really don't have much to say about something.

Since much of CAYOM is pretty much in waiting right now and tends to move at a snail's pace otherwise, I figured I'd do something fun/interesting to pass the time, plus I need breaks from writing every one in a while.

Basically, this thread is for suggestions for me to go back and re-read any particular film I've reviewed and re-review with the benefit of hindsight. I could change my mind on something I've previously loved/hated or take the opportunity to expand on the opinion I already have were it to remain the same.

Note that I say suggestions, not requests. I'm more looking for ideas on what I should revisit rather than gather any concrete list. Everything I do in this thread will be based on what I feel like doing at the time, and it could take weeks or even months in between reviews, especially during CAYOM's more active periods. The idea is for this thread to keep going for as long as my engagement with CAYOM 3.0 itself keeps going.

Also, I'm not going to revisit any films from Y6 or beyond (future proofing this thread is a big brain move). This is for Y1 to Y5 only, and if I'd prioritize anything it'd be earlier years. If I feel like reading 2.0 stuff they might pop up here, but this is mainly 3.0 for now.

So if you have any ideas on what I should revisit, let me know.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cookie said:

I think back in Y5 I said something in the vein that my attitude towards reviewing films had changed a bit since I and most of CAYOM's current inhabitants first started back in Y1. Part of that is because we naturally grow as people and gain new understandings and appreciation of things, but I think it's also because I had somewhat different priorities back then than I do in recent years.

In fact, I recently went back and read some of my old reviews, and while I stand by more than a few of them and think a fair amount have held up okay... others kinda haven't. I think, in admittance, that I got more easily hung up on certain elements and let those dictate my verdict, plus I tried maybe a little too hard at times to be humorous at the cost of actually having anything to say, though even now I resort to memes and jokes when I really don't have much to say about something.

Since much of CAYOM is pretty much in waiting right now and tends to move at a snail's pace otherwise, I figured I'd do something fun/interesting to pass the time, plus I need breaks from writing every one in a while.

Basically, this thread is for suggestions for me to go back and re-read any particular film I've reviewed and re-review with the benefit of hindsight. I could change my mind on something I've previously loved/hated or take the opportunity to expand on the opinion I already have were it to remain the same.

Note that I say suggestions, not requests. I'm more looking for ideas on what I should revisit rather than gather any concrete list. Everything I do in this thread will be based on what I feel like doing at the time, and it could take weeks or even months in between reviews, especially during CAYOM's more active periods. The idea is for this thread to keep going for as long as my engagement with CAYOM 3.0 itself keeps going.

Also, I'm not going to revisit any films from Y6 or beyond (future proofing this thread is a big brain move). This is for Y1 to Y5 only, and if I'd prioritize anything it'd be earlier years. If I feel like reading 2.0 stuff they might pop up here, but this is mainly 3.0 for now.

So if you have any ideas on what I should revisit, let me know.

One piece would be interesting 

10 hours ago, Reddroast said:

One piece would be interesting 

Since you have a sequel set for Y7 I’ll likely check it out as a point of comparison.

10 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Can you review Can You Imagine as I don’t believe you reviewed it, even though it was ranked in the top 25.

I’ll definitely consider it, again especially with a sequel coming.

Edited by cookie

I'd love to see you reevaluate some older films like The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair and the adaptation of Life is Strange.

I also think Leviathan from Y4 would make for a good reevaluation.

Edited by SLAM!

5 hours ago, SLAM! said:

I also think Leviathan from Y4 would make for a good reevaluation.

That one is literally a copy-paste of the Wikipedia summary of the book so there's not really anything to say about it.

• Sad 1