Eric Duncan

American Underdog: The Kurt Warner Story | December 25, 2021 | Lionsgate | It's about a dude named Kurt Warner

And everybody who is not a National Football League fan goes "Who".

Just saw Warner covering the Superbowl this weekend.

This news will make all the Arizona Cardinals fans happy, though and if nowhere else, will do big business in Phoenix, where  Warner is still a hero for his superbowl win.

Edited by dudalb

40 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And everybody who is not a National Football League fan goes "Who".

Just saw Warner covering the Superbowl this weekend.

This news will make all the Arizona Cardinals fans happy, though and if nowhere else, will do big business in Phoenix, where  Warner is still a hero for his superbowl win.

Warner got the Cardinals to the Super Bowl (a minor miracle, considering the franchise) but they lost to the Steelers. He did win the ring with the Rams once and got to three Super Bowls in total. I guess they still like him in St. Louis, or are they too bitter about the team leaving?

Anyway, this will be faith based and by the producers of I Can Only Imagine:

• Astonished 1

18 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Warner got the Cardinals to the Super Bowl (a minor miracle, considering the franchise) but they lost to the Steelers. He did win the ring with the Rams once and got to three Super Bowls in total. I guess they still like him in St. Louis, or are they too bitter about the team leaving?

Anyway, this will be faith based and by the producers of I Can Only Imagine:

So the sequel will feature Drew Brees!

This film is listed as still in post-production on IMDb, but there's a scenario in my head where this film finishes (or has already finished) post-production before the IATSE strike occurs and is subsequently able to do an American Sniper-ish sight-unseen box office run in the absence of bigger holiday blockbusters. I would be very happy about this film doing well and I think it would've had potential to overperform regardless of the strike since it's the kind of feel-good film people are claiming to want at this time.

I admit, if this movie gets a discount for the holidays, I'll buy tickets...it's the perfect heart-warming story you like at Xmas, and it's seasonally appropriate with football...

That said, I know the story, thus why I'd probably need a discount to get off the couch b/c I've got Spidey (and my kid is pitching Matrix), so i may already have 2 visits for the holidays...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

...it's the perfect heart-warming story you like at Xmas, and it's seasonally appropriate with football...

Your guess could be right. When I checked the presales for WSS today (ok for day 1 I would say) I saw that American Underdog has Early Access shows (they were listed in the first line, otherwise I would not have noticed it).
It doesn't have showtimes (yet) in all of my 7 theaters, only in 4, and gets only 1 showtime in each but in sum it had already sold close to 100 tickets for December 17 (ca. on par with WSS for December 9). Some small cinema halls show the status "Almost full" so maybe they will add some shows soon. 
And e.g. in my usual theater in Arizona it has so far no showtimes but I checked three others which were listed below, Superstition East 12, Mesa Grand 14 and Ahwatukee 24 and it had combined 104 sold tickets in those three too. It also had no showtimes in the AMC Fresh Meadows but 35 sold tickets at Lincoln Square 13. Not bad at all for the moment.

I searched for a while till I could find the presales of Overcomer back then: It had miserable 91 sold tickets on its final day for its Thursday previews and even worse 34 for Friday (and still an OW of 8.1M). I Still Believe (9.1M OW) had 7 respectively 8 days before the release 15 and 3 sold tickets.
So... maybe this movie will - maybe with A Journal for Jordan (Sneaks December 4) - work quite well around Christmas. At least better than I thought.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1

Surprise...the trailers for this are showing up during NFL games.

Interesting they are really playing down the "faith" angle and playing up the "most sucessful undrafted player in NFL history" angle.

I think they might want a film that can appeal to both the fiath and secular audiences. That might not be easy.