Eric the Marxist

House of the Dragon | GOT Spin-off | Season 2 June 2024

21 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Well, George RR Martin posted a blog post today where he heavily critisized the showrunner Condal for his handling of certain aspects of the story and what they might mean for future seasons. He deleted the blog post just hours later, so make of that what you want.

In any case, George isnt all that happy with Season 2.

I know it’s George’s story, but things inevitably get streamlined in adaptations, and I’m sure that Condal and the writing team will have planned how they’re ending the show and taken into account which characters they need. They’ll have a much easier job of it than the GoT showrunners did considering Fire & Blood actually has an ending. Not entirely sure what George was hoping to achieve here.

Condal has taken extreme liberties with the source material and this season suffered a lot because of it. Many of the changes were unnecessary and did not make sense even in the show's context. Martin has seen the outlines of 3rd and 4th seasons and suggests that they are even worse in that regard. By going public with the post, Martin is trying to prevent the show from going that route (since privately it seems the showrunners ignore his counsel).

5 hours ago, nox said:

Condal has taken extreme liberties with the source material and this season suffered a lot because of it. Many of the changes were unnecessary and did not make sense even in the show's context. Martin has seen the outlines of 3rd and 4th seasons and suggests that they are even worse in that regard. By going public with the post, Martin is trying to prevent the show from going that route (since privately it seems the showrunners ignore his counsel).

Changing the source material for whatever reasons or just to prove points and it's a trend that needs to stop, authors and creators like George need to put more attention in how they make their deals.

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

According to whom?

I mean i personally think Season 2 has way more good than bad, but the online reception of the season is certainly very mixed. Plenty of fans (especially many book fans) have criticism towards the season. Reception to Season 1 was way more positive in comparison.

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

I mean i personally think Season 2 has way more good than bad, but the online reception of the season is certainly very mixed. Plenty of fans (especially many book fans) have criticism towards the season. Reception to Season 1 was way more positive in comparison.

And there's a difference between what you said and our old pal lordmandeep claiming that the show is now a smoking crater that is an affront to Martin's work

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

And there's a difference between what you said and our old pal lordmandeep claiming that the show is now a smoking crater that is an affront to Martin's work

Wait? Is @Torontofan actually Lordmandeep?? LOL suddenly a ton of things (posts) would make way more sense

8 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

According to whom?

The reception of season 2 is a big step down from season 1.

Season 2 seems like season 6-7 of GOT

I think Martin and other GOT fans are worried this turn into a Season 8 trainwreck which I think no one wants for latter seasons. 

I doubt it gets that bad but yeah the show reception is down quite a bit from season 1. 

Edited by Torontofan

6 hours ago, Torontofan said:

The reception of season 2 is a big step down from season 1.

Season 2 seems like season 6-7 of GOT

I think Martin and other GOT fans are worried this turn into a Season 8 trainwreck which I think no one wants for latter seasons. 

I doubt it gets that bad but yeah the show reception is down quite a bit from season 1. 

Season 2 would have had the same kind of reception as Season 1 if they’d not cut the season short and moved the big battle to next season. Season 2 for me was just as strong as season 1. Granted, I’ve not read the book, but I really don’t get this narrative that it was a nosedive in quality.