Pypa94

Poland Box Office | Avatar: The Way of Water is HUGE

50 Shades of Grey - what I predicted has happend - we have a new opening record. Now it will drop hard over next few weeks but it should reach at least multiplier of 2 ( it's still a terrible multiplier for Polish Box Office )

I hope that after shitty reviews and WOM 50 shades of crap will do not more than 150k (at least 80% drop) I will be satisfied seeing that xd

I hope that after shitty reviews and WOM 50 shades of crap will do not more than 150k (at least 80% drop) I will be satisfied seeing that xd

The reviews are not as bad as you think. Around 1/3 of them are ok. Some people like the movie. The drop will be steep because the movie was very frontloaded but 80% is not realistic. Last year a polish comedy went -81% but that movie was a huge marketing lie and people wanted their money back in large groups. I'd say you should expect Twilight drops so the movie should be at 250-300 next weekend. If you adjust for valentines it can go in the low 200s but lower would be really strange.

Which movie had best multiplier?

A few of the good ones in recent years:

The best offer - close to 10x (8.4k opening, 81k total)

La Grande Belazza over 20x (4.1k opening 83k total)

Cristiada 30x (4.1k opening 122k total)

But those were small ones. From the big ones:

Now you see me was 6.5x (87 to 557)

Intouchables was over 10x (68 to over 760)

Bogowie was also slightly below 10x

Overall good liked movies do between 6-10 depending on the competition and dates.

The reviews are not as bad as you think. Around 1/3 of them are ok. Some people like the movie. The drop will be steep because the movie was very frontloaded but 80% is not realistic. Last year a polish comedy went -81% but that movie was a huge marketing lie and people wanted their money back in large groups. I'd say you should expect Twilight drops so the movie should be at 250-300 next weekend. If you adjust for valentines it can go in the low 200s but lower would be really strange.

A few of the good ones in recent years:

The best offer - close to 10x (8.4k opening, 81k total)

La Grande Belazza over 20x (4.1k opening 83k total)

Cristiada 30x (4.1k opening 122k total)

But those were small ones. From the big ones:

Now you see me was 6.5x (87 to 557)

Intouchables was over 10x (68 to over 760)

Bogowie was also slightly below 10x

Overall good liked movies do between 6-10 depending on the competition and dates.

Thanks for info ;) if only BOTFA had that Bogowie multiplier haha

Thanks for info ;) if only BOTFA had that Bogowie multiplier haha

The movie wasn't liked enough. Also the market has changed and making any significant number over 2mil is hard because there is much more competition and higher ticket prices also price out some viewers.

Pypa94 have some faith. More people in cinemas is good thing. We are talking Box Office here.

I know that 50 Shades of Grey is crap but I'm actually happy that it broke records because that's what Box Office is all about If last years up in attendence will change into a growing trend then FSOG records could be broken very fast because more tickets sold will mean that more 500k or more 1M+ movies will have to happen each year. Looks like we will already have two 1.5 milion+ admission movies in 2 months and I have a feeling that Disco Polo will make over 1 milion admissions too ( unless it's a huge crap ).

And look at opening weekends in last few years and just this year. We already had 2 huge openings and we at least have 3 more to come this year ( Spectre, SW:Episode VII and Mocking Jay p2.) that should do 300k+ just on OW.

• Like 1

Pypa94 have some faith. More people in cinemas is good thing. We are talking Box Office here.

I know that 50 Shades of Grey is crap but I'm actually happy that it broke records because that's what Box Office is all about If last years up in attendence will change into a growing trend then FSOG records could be broken very fast because more tickets sold will mean that more 500k or more 1M+ movies will have to happen each year. Looks like we will already have two 1.5 milion+ admission movies in 2 months and I have a feeling that Disco Polo will make over 1 milion admissions too ( unless it's a huge crap ).

And look at opening weekends in last few years and just this year. We already had 2 huge openings and we at least have 3 more to come this year ( Spectre, SW:Episode VII and Mocking Jay p2.) that should do 300k+ just on OW.

The movie (DIsco Polo) is good but you may be overexaggerating. Look at presales for this weekend. 750k.

So far Disco Polo previews have similar popularity as Bogowie in the cinemas I checked. Next weekend will be crucial, this one could only help spread WOM if the movie is good.

Yes but there is far less of them. Also you also assume the movie has great legs. 

Weekend numbers (20-22 February 2015 )

1. 50 Shades of Grey                        242 044 / 1 388 491
  2. The SpongeBob Movie:SOOW        105 953 / 105 953 (new)
  3. American Sniper                            102 844 / 103 473 (new)
  4. Pinguins of Madagascar                    97 835 / 1 429 997
  5. Shaun the Sheep                           40 571 / 122 937
  6. Wkreceni 2                                    24 502 / 718 514
  7. Kingsman: The Secret Service           20 847 / 85 739
  8. Barbie in Princess Power                   15 139 / 100 577
  9. The Loft                                        13 593 / 13 593 ( new )
  10. Ziarno Prawdy                                 12 851 / 251 956

Total admissions : 767 869 admissions

50 Shades of Grey -  huge drop as expected. If it will managed to cut those drops to 40-50's then it should reach 2 milion admissions, but at this point I'm not sure if it will manage to do it, at least not after this 72% drop.

SpongeBob Movie - very good opening with a very good avg per copy. This should do 500k+ since it's a kids movie based on popular character and kids movie always have good legs.

American Sniper - also a very good opening. This will be only Oscar contender that will actually have a decent box office result.

Pinguins of Madagascar - another good hold. If it will manage to keep those good holds then I think finish should be somewhere between 1.8-2.0 milion admissions.

Edited by chimpo
  • Like 2