Pypa94

Poland Box Office | Avatar: The Way of Water is HUGE

Weekend numbers (23-25 January 2015 )

1. Wkreceni 2                                   138 362 / 361 497
  2. Legend of the NeverBeast                48 340 / 166 691
  3. Carte Blanche                               48 261 / 48 862 ( NEW)
  4. Taken 3                                         38 026 / 344 000
  5. Paddington                                     31 547 / 483 760
  6. Mortdecai                                       26 229 / 26 229 (NEW)
  7. Seventh Son                                   26 212 / 26 212 (NEW)
  8. Hobbit 3                                         25 979 / 2 157 138
  9. Exodus                                          19 333 / 218 471
  10. Birdman                                          18 702 / 20 963
  11. Hiszpanka                                       16 576 / 16 576 ( NEW )
Total admissions : 506 895

This weeks box office summary I will start with special mention of Hiszpanka. Last week I predicted it to BOMB and but I didn't expect it to BOMB this hard. This is probably in top 3 Flops of All-Time for a Polish production. Wow, just wow. :blink:

Okay let's get back to top 10.

Wkreceni 2 had a superb -10% drop this weekend and are 52k admissions ahead of the original at the same time period. Next few weeks will show if it will manage to stay above the original movie. If yes then it might have a chance to pass 1 milion admissions.
Legend of NeverBeast will not repeat The Pirate Fairy success but it's still a moneymaker for Disney.
Carte Blanche - a local movie based on a real story didn't do great but I think it's a good opening. It actually did a little better then I expected ( I thought it would do around 35k admissions on OW )
Taken 3 - big drop this time. Should end up around 400k admissions.
Paddington - I expected better holds for this movie but it looks like kids want to see Pinguins more.
Mortdecai and Seventh Son - weak openings and weak runs ahead of them. Will be suprised to see them in TOP 10 next week. Seventh Son has many TV ads so it's marketing was pretty visible.
Hobbit 3 - another big drop and I'm not sure if it will manage to pass Bogowie after all. It's drops post post New Years weekend are terrible.
Exodus - a multplier of 3 is happening. That's a suprise when you consider WOM.

Upcoming weekend releases.
Ziarno Prawdy - local movie distributed by Next Films. This guys have a really good time and it looks like they might have another hit on their hands.
Pinguins of Madagascar - if previews are not a smoke bomb then this could open big and I mean Big.
Theory of Everything - don't expect to much from this one.

Paddington does well during the week. Remember about that. 600k is still easily possible. 

Also taken only dropped 49%. That's still a good hold. It will easily go above 400. The only question is will it go above 450k. If the trend continues it will make ca. 60k for the week + the weekend. That gets it to a bit over 400k. Then it will probably do 20-30w+w and then 10-15w+W. That still means it's 435-460k viewers. More if other movies underperform. 

Sad that Mortdecai and Seventh Son opened so low.

Compared to foreign results of Mortdecai I say it's a success. The movie opened to 4mil in the US? It's like opening <10k viewers in Poland. Hell it's probably like opening to 6-8k.

Paddington does well during the week. Remember about that. 600k is still easily possible. 

Also taken only dropped 49%. That's still a good hold. It will easily go above 400. The only question is will it go above 450k. If the trend continues it will make ca. 60k for the week + the weekend. That gets it to a bit over 400k. Then it will probably do 20-30w+w and then 10-15w+W. That still means it's 435-460k viewers. More if other movies underperform. 

Compared to foreign results of Mortdecai I say it's a success. The movie opened to 4mil in the US? It's like opening <10k viewers in Poland. Hell it's probably like opening to 6-8k.

It opened to over 31.500 adm here. Also, Seventh Son opened with 60.700 adm and this market's size is about 1/3 (maybe even 1/4) of the Poland's one. That's why it seemed low :lol:  

It opened to over 31.500 adm here. Also, Seventh Son opened with 60.700 adm and this market's size is about 1/3 (maybe even 1/4) of the Poland's one. That's why it seemed low :lol:  

Romania? You are an exception and I think there is much less competition. UK/US/FR all failed hard.

• Like 1

Romania? You are an exception and I think there is much less competition. UK/US/FR all failed hard.

I don't think it was because of the lack of competition. Mortdecai opened the same weeked as BH6, American Sniper, Ubroken and another adult drama. The main reason for it doing well is because Depp is very liked here. He can open strong pretty much any movie.

Concerning Seventh Son, it's a medieval fantasy action spectacle. That is the very definition of a successful movie here. The legs are a different problem tho :lol:

So far Pinguins of Madagascar look like a 150-200k opener. 2D copies have very good reservations but 3D copies are just doing decent. All depends on the walk in business which is usually pretty good for kid movies.

Ziarno Prawdy is not doing good based on reservations. Looks like it won't get close 100k.

Wkreceni 2 look better then Ziarno Prawdy so they might actually have a good drop this weekend.

I don't think it was because of the lack of competition. Mortdecai opened the same weeked as BH6, American Sniper, Ubroken and another adult drama. The main reason for it doing well is because Depp is very liked here. He can open strong pretty much any movie.

Concerning Seventh Son, it's a medieval fantasy action spectacle. That is the very definition of a successful movie here. The legs are a different problem tho :lol:

I'm not saying OW. I'm saying in Romania you have fewer movies released every year than in Poland. Our market got really cluttered in the last few years. It means that you not only have to compete with what's opening but what's opened in the previous weeks. Movies in Poland don't get as high results as 3-4 years ago even though we had a record year exactly because of that. Finding a good date for a movie now is actually a decision of which date is the least problematic, not which one is good. Such thing doesn't exist in Poland anymore.

Edited by norbar

I'm not saying OW. I'm saying in Romania you have fewer movies released every year than in Poland. Our market got really cluttered in the last few years. It means that you not only have to compete with what's opening but what's opened in the previous weeks. Movies in Poland don't get as high results as 3-4 years ago even though we had a record year exactly because of that. Finding a good date for a movie now is actually a decision of which date is the least problematic, not which one is good. Such thing doesn't exist in Poland anymore.

Well, everything released internationally is also released here. We have around 35 movies in release each week. We have few local movies because the don't do well. What more there is?

Deadline can suck donkey balls with their preditions.

Pinguins of Madagascar had a superb opening weekend with 351 892 admissions. With previews it has 464 284 admissions. Total gross with previews  9 715 452 PLN ( 2.493 milion $ )

Edited by chimpo
  • Like 3

Well, everything released internationally is also released here. We have around 35 movies in release each week. We have few local movies because the don't do well. What more there is?

From studios yes but how many movies from euro, uk and other independents you get? Seriosuly look at your blackhat review and compare it to anywhere in the world. Your market is very differen to most of the ones in EE.

I was wondering which movie will have a chance to beat Pinguins of Madagascar OW this year and only movie that I could think of was new Bond movie. But then I checked 50 Shades of Grey reservations and I'm just shocked. Holy crap! I knew this book was popular but this is just ridiculous. Valentine's Day showings are packed already, but Friday and Sunday is also doing very well for reservations.

This looks like a 500k+ opening just from reservations because even small towns have pretty good reservations at this point. Norbar any buzz about it at your place?

• Like 3

Weekend numbers (30 January-01 February 2015 )

1. Pinguins of Madagascar              351 892 / 464 284 (NEW)
  2. Wkreceni 2                                   90 059 / 514 152
  3. Ziarno Prawdy                              66 764 / 67 118  (NEW)
  4. Carte Blanche                               38 984 / 138 433
  5. Legend of the NeverBeast                38 017 / 242 832
  6. Theory of Everything                       25 429 / 25 429 (NEW)
  7. Paddington                                    20 046 / 541 173
  8. Taken 3                                         18 495 / 384 114                                  
  9. Seventh Son                                   16 181 / 61 194
  10. Hobbit 3                                         14 756 / 2 200 259
Total admissions : 768 749
January 2015 - 4.889 milion admissions
January 2014 - 5.099 milion admissions

Small drop year to year. I think that if Hiszpanka didn't BOMB so hard it could have been pretty much the same as last year. February should be good this year.

Pinguins of Madagascar - huge opening! This is our first 1 milion admission movie of the year. I knew that Madagascar movies were popular and that Pinguins cartoon show was popular but I didn't expect it to do this well. It seems Poland still loves Dreamworks Animation movies. Right now it's looks like 1.4-1.5 milion finish but all will depend on next two weekends because weekdays should be strong for this one.
Wkreceni 2 - I have to say that this series has some really good legs. First one had a 7x multiplier and this one looks like it will have at least 6x multiplier. Next two weekends will be crucial for it if wants to pass 1 milion admissions.
Ziarno Prawdy - it did okay I would say. Next Film didn't manage to make it into another huge hit for them. I gave this movie a chance for a milion but it's won't happen now. Not sure if 400k will happen at this point.
Carte Blanche - great hold. Should do well in next 2 weeks.
Legend of NeverBeast - It's going to end above 300k admission and Disney will swim in money once again.
Theory of Everything - this year awards are not helping any movie in getting people in the seats.
Paddington - whle the hold was pretty good against direct competition, I think 600k is probably all it will do.
Taken 3 -  it should end up around 420k admissions.
Seventh Son - suprise! It's still in top 10. But next weekend it won't be on the list. It might end up around 100k admissions.
Hobbit 3 - the winner of 2014 after a very close battle with Bogowie. But it's great to see two movies doing over 2.2 milion admissions in such a short time :D

Opening on Friday :

Warsaw by Night - I expect 100k+ opening and anything below will be disappointing.
Jupiter Ascending  - I have no idea
Polskie Gówno - I have no idea
another Barbie movie - some are you kidding me numbers
and another few movies nobody will care about ;)

• Like 4