Eric is Quiet

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

They do usually show something at Cinemacon, typically the first thirty minutes.

Gotta say The Flash screening there in full makes me a little more nervous about the competition, but I guess they would still have time to bump the movie back if it turns out Flash does get raves (or otherwise stay put if it ends up getting mid or worse reactions). Still think a Cannes/Annecy bout would be helpful.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Just now, AniNate said:

They do usually show something at Cinemacon, typically the first thirty minutes.

Gotta say The Flash screening there in full makes me a little more nervous about the competition, but I guess they would still have time to bump the movie back if it turns out Flash does get raves (and otherwise stay put if it ends up getting mid or worse reactions). Still think a Cannes/Annecy bout would be helpful.

Cannes, Annecy, and Advanced Screenings would help.

I think it's a given that The Flash is going to open at #1 (and with all the raving James Gunn has been doing, it's gotta be good). But... IF Elemental has strong word of mouth (Inside Out, Coco, etc), it could have stronger legs. 

But if I were Disney, I'd be doing all I can to raise awareness and put this people's radar.

• Thanks 1

The Little Mermaid put out their 1-minute TV spot 100 days before the film's release, and I think that's going to be Disney's plan for all their Disney-branded movies. In Elemental's case, that would be March 8. Probably not a full trailer, but a 1-minute advert that teases the world and characters a touch more feels right, followed by a trailer in time for Mario.

16 minutes ago, AniNate said:

We are about due for a new trailer. Typically Disney would have something biggish in March to attach one to but they don't have that this year. I'd rather they not wait until Mario to start more promotion.

To be fair, they usually wait until March to drop the second trailer for Pixar movies. That said, I do expect them to push it in ads.

If this sticks to June 26 I'm hoping we get a Monsters University/World War Z situation where both this and Flash flourish. Those two both opened on June 21, 2013 and Monsters finished with around $82M and WWZ around $66M.

For the record I'm not talking about doing the same numbers. The numbers will be different but I hope both are strong. In this case though it will be the live action (Flash) opening over the Pixar movie. Imagine something like $100M+ for Flash and $50M+ for Elemental. I think is box office nerds could really use a fun weekend like that!

More and more I'm hoping that Disney is bold enough to let Elemental stick to that date.

Edited by Verrows
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 12:38 PM, Eric the Velocipastor said:

The Little Mermaid put out their 1-minute TV spot 100 days before the film's release, and I think that's going to be Disney's plan for all their Disney-branded movies. In Elemental's case, that would be March 8. Probably not a full trailer, but a 1-minute advert that teases the world and characters a touch more feels right, followed by a trailer in time for Mario.

lion-king.gif

• Like 1

They really need to push this back to June 23 just to get some breathing space from The Flash and Spiderverse 2 (June 2), along with getting some PLF screens.

June 23 weekend right now is completely dead.

Edited by Mojoguy

15 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

They really need to push this back to June 23 just to get some breathing space from The Flash and Spiderverse 2 (June 2), along with getting some PLF screens.

June 23 weekend right now is completely dead.

The only downside is that it'll be opening a week before Indy 5.

The season is definitely packed but I'd be very surprised if it gets moved at this point. There's a pride factor to consider now too. Disney just doesn't move their films to avoid competition, the competition moves to avoid them. Do think if Flash turns out to justify its hype it might be a good idea to push this to early July.

I guess we will have to wait till Mario for more footage.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1