Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

You are gonna like this Fullbuster!  ;)

2014 Top Ten WW Movies:

How much did the gross in Latin America (by country):

X-Men:DoFP TASM 2 CA: TWS GotG Rio 2 Maleficent Trans4mers HTTYD 2 Godzilla DotPotA Year 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 Latin America 88.1 83.6 86.2 68.3 114.3 142.4 114.1 79.7 43.3 84.0 Argentina 4.9 4.6 4.6 4.7 9.6 11.0 9.9 6.2 2.8 6.2 Bolivia 0.6 0.8 0.8 0.8 1.2 1.1 1.5 0.5 0.4 0.7 Brazil 28.8 24.9 28.3 16.8 28.5 33.3 27.5 24.8 8.1 24.3 Chile 3.0 3.1 2.3 2.7 5.6 3.8 6.7 5.6 2.3 4.2 Colombia 5.9 4.7 4.6 3.8 9.6 8.8 9.9 4.8 2.4 5.7 Ecuador 1.9 2.2 3.1 1.6 3.0 3.1 3.1 1.2 1.3 1.7 Mexico 24.6 28.5 25.7 19.6 30.9 46.2 33.5 19.9 16.5 24.6 Peru 2.8 3.4 3.1 3.5 4.2 4.8 5.9 2.4 2.2 6.3 Venezuela 12.3 7.3 10.1 11.4 15.9 25.5 12.7 10.6 3.3 6.0 Uruguay 0.2 0.4 0.2 0.2 0.9 0.6 0.3 0.7 0.2 0.3 Other Markets (Est) 3.1 3.7 3.4 3.2 4.9 4.2 3.1 3.0 3.8

Annabelle did already around $50m in LA (better than Godzilla), 33% of its OS gross!!

Wow that's a great job Henry, that seems so professional B) B) B)

I didn't count Annabelle's numbers because it's very leggy and far from over but your number is impressive, particularly the LA's share :o

• Like 1

Star Trek, Gravity, Wall-E and Inception all flopped here, Revenge of the sith and Fantastic Four sold around the same number of tickets for fuck's sack.

The only exception that I can think of is Avatar... And Transformers, that alone tells a lot about brazillian audiences

Star Trek, Gravity, Wall-E and Inception all flopped here, Revenge of the sith and Fantastic Four sold around the same number of tickets for fuck's sack.

The only exception that I can think of is Avatar... And Transformers, that alone tells a lot about brazillian audiences

Gravity was not a flop here, it did 8.8m in sessions only subtitled. This is far from a flop.

Rise and Dawn of Planet of Apes Were success here

inception did 10M here, not incredible but not a flop.

Edited by MazeRunner23

Gravity was not a flop here, it did 8.8m in sessions only subtitled. This is far from a flop.

Why were there only subtitled sessions though?

it was a flop compared to its performance in the rest of the world.

Apes 2 was a success, sure, but then again Apes 2 is not very sci-fyish, it's more of a post apocalyptic film

it was a flop compared to its performance in the rest of the world.

Apes 2 was a success, sure, but then again Apes 2 is not very sci-fyish, it's more of a post apocalyptic film

The rest of world had only subtitled sessions? Non english speakers countries?

Still a sci-fi.

It depends on what means "fail" for you. 10M would be fail for you? 15M?

Why do you ask my opinion of what a fail is? Box office runs are relative. you can't have a fixed number like 10M and say if a certain movie does not gross that amount in a certain country then it's a flop. It has to be judged against the runs in other countries. In a country where the box office is as big as it is in Brazil, I don't know how you can say a sub $10 million gross  for films like inception and gravity is anything other than disappointing, especially when you consider how big the other genres are there, and also how much those movies grossed in similar sized markets.  Judging from the close-to-zero anticipation vibe I'm getting for interstellar in Brazil, I'm sure it will be a similar scenario (although I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong). All countries have genre's they prefer or dislike, I'm not sure why you're trying to argue that sci-fi is one that is preferred in Brazil.  

• Like 3

Why do you ask my opinion of what a fail is? Box office runs are relative. you can't have a fixed number like 10M and say if a certain movie does not gross that amount in a certain country then it's a flop. It has to be judged against the runs in other countries. In a country where the box office is as big as it is in Brazil, I don't know how you can say a sub $10 million gross  for films like inception and gravity is anything other than disappointing, especially when you consider how big the other genres are there, and also how much those movies grossed in similar sized markets.  Judging from the close-to-zero anticipation vibe I'm getting for interstellar in Brazil, I'm sure it will be a similar scenario (although I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong). All countries have genre's they prefer or dislike, I'm not sure why you're trying to argue that sci-fi is one that is preferred in Brazil.  

Given how big the movie is and the size of this market I think something under 15m would be a disappointment.

• Like 1

Given how big the movie is and the size of this market I think something under 15m would be a disappointment.

None moment I said that.

You do not understood anything i said, did you? It was an irony.

10M here for a movie like inception, 8.8m here for a movie like gravity are not a flop. Of course every country has its preferred genre and that you have to take into consideration when calling a movie of flop.but that does not mean that other genres can not match those numbers of preferred genres of here. This will not be the case for interestellar. main reasons:

Weak Trailer - Trailer is very important with movies here and the trailer is not the least bit attractive.

Nolan who? - Nolan does not have a large fan base here.

Fun> Quality. Here, quality

can generate legs, but not high numbers OW. Fun gains more in OW. interstellar is far looking like a fun movie.

Etc

Edited by MazeRunner23