Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

It's too early but I can see FD outgrossing IA5 here, FN was really popular here while the popularity of IA is decreasing..

Finding Dory bigger in Brazil than Ice Age 5? Are you serious? I mean, I'd love this very much but it seems so unlikely imo..

I will resume my updates concerning this list :

LATIN AMERICA'S WEIGHT ON THE FOREIGN BOX OFFICE MARKET (UPDATED)

I decided to start a new kind of category given the Latin America's BO list is already huge, it's now time to show how big it is on the OS market, to compare it with the rest of the world.

You need to remember : OS/Foreign BO = Markets outside North America / Domestic BO.

Let's start with 3 movies :

The Avengers

Foreign : 895.2m
Latin America : 192.6m
Latin America's share : 21.5%

Despicable Me 2
Foreign : 602.7m
Latin America : 190.6m
Latin America's share : 31.6%

Ice Age 4
Foreign : 715.9m
Latin America : 179.4m
Latin America's share : 25%

Titanic (+ Titanic 3D)

Foreign : $1.528B
Latin America : 166.5m
Latin America's share : 10.9%

Foreign : $2.03B
Latin America : 161.4m
Latin America's share : 8%

Iron Man 3

Foreign : 806m
Latin America : 152m
Latin America's share : 18.9%

Maleficent

Foreign : 516m
Latin America : 137.8m
Latin America's share : 26.7%

Toy Story 3

Foreign : 648.2m
Latin America : 134.1m
Latin Americas share : 20.7%

Ice Age 3

Foreign : $690m
Latin America : $130.5m
Latin America's share : 18.9%

Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2

Foreign : $537m
Latin America : $120.3m
Latin America's share : 22.3%

Monsters University

Foreign : $475m
Latin America : $112m
Latin America's share : 23.6%

Transformers 4

Foreign : $842m
Latin America : 110.6m
Latin America's share : 13.1%

Rio 2

Foreign : $362m
Latin America : $109.3m
Latin America's share : 30.2%

Shrek Forever After

Foreign : $513.9m
Latin America : $108.9m
Latin America's share : 21.2%

Harry Potter DH2

Foreign : $960.5m
Latin America : $108.3m
Latin America's share : 11.3%

Madagascar 3

Foreign : $530.5m
Latin America : $106.3m
Latin America's share : 20%

Fast & Furious 6

Foreign : $550m
Latin America : $101.3m
Latin America's share : 18.4%

Pirates of the Caribbean 4

Foreign : $804.6m
Latin America : $97.5m
Brazil's share : 12.1%

Frozen

Foreign : $873.5m

Latin America : 90.3m
Latin America's share : 10.3%

Tangled

Foreign : $391m

Latin America : 75.6m

Latin America's share : 19.3%

Wreck-It Ralph

Foreign : $281.8m

Latin America : 66.2m
Latin America's share : 23.5%

Edited by Fullbuster

Brazil was in a terrible situation before, but with the financial crisis in China it could be worse...I just learned Brazil lost 111,000 jobs in June and 160,000 in July, it's quite harsh...And of course that could affect the Brazilian box office despite it's already quite hit.

• Like 1

Brazil was in a terrible situation before, but with the financial crisis in China it could be worse...I just learned Brazil lost 111,000 jobs in June and 160,000 in July, it's quite harsh...And of course that could affect the Brazilian box office despite it's already quite hit.

That's bad for all 2015 films.

Star Wars won't reach $20M and HG won't hit $35M

:wacko:  :unsure:  :(  :angry:

What about SW?

Well, nobody expected SW to be huge in Brazil anyway, that doesn't change much, as long as it's huge in the US...SW will become increasingly bigger over time in Brazil, a bit like THG but with slightly bigger numbers.Something like $18m for SW7, $32m for SW8 and $50m for SW9.

For people interested :

As the plunge in Chinese stocks rattles global financial markets, Beijing’s economic slowdown is stoking fears of more dismal times to come for Latin America’s sluggish economies, many of which have come to rely increasingly on China as a financial lifeline. If the recent tumult in global financial markets is an indicator of deeper economic problems in China, that could have serious reverberations in Latin American countries in the months to come, analysts said.

http://www.ibtimes.com/china-black-monday-latin-america-brazil-venezuela-mexico-among-economies-showing-2065933

And :

SAO PAULO--Economists reduced their view for Brazil's economic performance for this year and next, as confidence among consumers and business people remains weak.

Brazil's gross domestic product is expected to contract 2.06% this year, according to a weekly central-bank survey of 100 economists. That compares with a contraction of 2.01% expected last week. The forecasts for this year marked the sixth-consecutive downward revision by economists.

For next year, economists reduced their view for the country's economy and now expect a contraction of 0.24%, compared with an expected contraction of 0.15% last week. Brazil's economy grew 0.1% last year, according to the country's statistical bureau, the IBGE.

Well, nobody expected SW to be huge in Brazil anyway, that doesn't change much, as long as it's huge in the US...SW will become increasingly bigger over time in Brazil, a bit like THG but with slightly bigger numbers.Something like $17m for SW7, $28m for SW8 and $38m for SW9.

That seems more realistic and by the way MJ2 may not be the end of the HG Cinematic Universe.Since Lionsgate understood that they can't make any money from that Divergent(it doesn't deserve any money anyway)they will try to create more films based on the HG Universe.

:D

Edited by PierreHP
  • Like 1

That seems more realistic and by the way MJ2 may not be the end of the HG Cinematic Universe.Since Lionsgate understood that they can't make any money from that Divergent(it doesn't deserve any money anyway)they will try to create more films based on the HG Universe.

:D

Well, why not. I'm more optimistic because unlike THG Star Wars already has a fanbase in Brazil, THG had nothing and that's why it got $10m despite a very advantageous exchange rate at that time, that's why I'm confident about SW.