Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

Remove the high crime rate (I think), and the rest applies perfectly to India as well. High inflation, slow growth since 2011, standards of living slipping.

The high crime rate is an important factor, the powerful gangs want to use these games to interfere with the government.

I'm not an expert about Brazil, let alone India so I couldn't do a list of their differences but I still think you can't compare them despite some common points due to the fact they are developing countries.

Politically speaking Brazil is more prone to revolt and riots than India. India is the land of pacific resistance after all, with Gandhi as a symbol :P

X-MEN MOVIES IN BRAZIL

X-MEN : $6m

X-MEN 2 : $7.4m

X-MEN 3 : $11.2m

X-MEN ORIGINS WOLVERINE : $14.1m

X-MEN FIRST CLASS : $15.2m

THE WOLVERINE : $21.4m

Woah! Brazilians love X-Men movies, every one of them improved over the previous one, even the stand-alone movies o_o

It's a good omen for X-MEN DOFP!!

Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy will come here to promote X-Men!!

Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy will come here to promote X-Men!!

Indeed, I read that on adorocinema, it should help the movie, and it's clearly one of the biggest markets for X-Men movies, they can't afford forgetting it.

• Like 1

Indeed, I read that on adorocinema, it should help the movie, and it's clearly one of the biggest markets for X-Men movies, they can't afford forgetting it.

If was Hugh Jackman would make more effect because he is very well known here even so will be great!

The high crime rate is an important factor, the powerful gangs want to use these games to interfere with the government.

I'm not an expert about Brazil, let alone India so I couldn't do a list of their differences but I still think you can't compare them despite some common points due to the fact they are developing countries.

Politically speaking Brazil is more prone to revolt and riots than India. India is the land of pacific resistance after all, with Gandhi as a symbol :P

Brazil has a high crime rate, but not as high as South Africa from 4 years ago, and criminals main concern is making money, they don't have an interest in attacking just to get at the government.

India actually has a lot more political violence than Brazil, from both Islamists and communists.

Brazil has a high crime rate, but not as high as South Africa from 4 years ago, and criminals main concern is making money, they don't have an interest in attacking just to get at the government.

India actually has a lot more political violence than Brazil, from both Islamists and communists.

Indian homicide rate : 3.5 per 100,000 inhabitants

Brazil : 21.8 per 100,000

You can't compare.And by the way the recent events prove you wrong, riots happened this week and the government lost his battle to get rid of these gangs in the favelas.

Indian homicide rate : 3.5 per 100,000 inhabitants

Brazil : 21.8 per 100,000

You can't compare.And by the way the recent events prove you wrong, riots happened this week and the government lost his battle to get rid of these gangs in the favelas.

I was talking about political violence, I know Brazil has a higher overall crime rate than India, but South Africa has a homicide rate of 31.8 per 100,000, and that went fine. People visit Brazil in normal times, and these kind of events are generally the safest time to visit a country.

I don't think homicide rate is a problem for the World Cup, thefts will probably be a major problem for tourists, though. Criminals don't want to kill tourists, just steal them.

$30 must be all-you-can-eat, Here in my state a pizza costs about $ 9, I do not think is very different there.

And yes, electronics here are very expensive

$9 is pretty cheap, I paid $16 for a large pizza last month, I could totally see people paying 20 bucks for a large pizza in São Paulo. But if your paying $30, you're probably eating in a really fancy restaurant.

Holidays really helped the movies last weekend. Monday was also a holiday, and school's out Tuesday and Wednesday in Rio. Plus, no big release this weekend, so I guess all movies will benefit from that. Rio 2 can finish with 27m~28m, I want that to happen so that my prediction doesn't look too bad...

I was talking about political violence, I know Brazil has a higher overall crime rate than India, but South Africa has a homicide rate of 31.8 per 100,000, and that went fine. People visit Brazil in normal times, and these kind of events are generally the safest time to visit a country.

If a police very heavily armed cannot bring peace into these favelas before the event, and it's their mission to do it, how could they do it during?

And you probably don't understand it's not just about crime but public infrastructure as well, they're very lacking in this field...Can these cities bear such an influx of tourists?

According to Mojo, ASM did 30 mill in Brazil.  Any idea what it will do this time?

Technically it should have better numbers but given the exchange rate is quite disadvantageous it's likely to have the same gross or slightly better.

• Like 1

I don't think homicide rate is a problem for the World Cup, thefts will probably be a major problem for tourists, though. Criminals don't want to kill tourists, just steal them.

$9 is pretty cheap, I paid $16 for a large pizza last month, I could totally see people paying 20 bucks for a large pizza in São Paulo. But if your paying $30, you're probably eating in a really fancy restaurant.

Holidays really helped the movies last weekend. Monday was also a holiday, and school's out Tuesday and Wednesday in Rio. Plus, no big release this weekend, so I guess all movies will benefit from that. Rio 2 can finish with 27m~28m, I want that to happen so that my prediction doesn't look too bad...

Still, it's quite expensive in a country like Brazil where salaries are still low.

Certainly! What is very expensive here are electronics. Are crazily expensive.

If a police very heavily armed cannot bring peace into these favelas before the event, and it's their mission to do it, how could they do it during?

And you probably don't understand it's not just about crime but public infrastructure as well, they're very lacking in this field...Can these cities bear such an influx of tourists?

I don't think tourists will be going to the favellas very much, so I don't that it's relevant how much crime there is over there.