Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Inside Out 2 reaches $70M

JUNE 20-23 WEEKEND. 

1. Inside Out 2 - $392.6M/$1,172.7M (-28.49%)
2. Bad Boys: Ride or Die - $33.7M/$219.9M (-30.23%)

3. Hitman - $9.7M

4. The Bikeriders - $8.1M

5. Ghost: Rite Here Rite Now - $6M

6. Exhuma - $4.9M

7. The Strangers: Chapter 1 - $4M/$15.3M (-45.95%)
8. Amelia's Children - $2.8M 

9. Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes - $1.6M/$336.1M (-62.79%)

10. La Règne Animal - $0.93M

Inside Out 2 scores the highest second weekend ever in both TFSS and FSS frames over Super Mario Bros and Toy Story 4 respectively. It's the fourth largest 4-Day weekend ever only behind its own opening frame and those of Multiverse of Madness and Age of Ultron; for animations is the fourth largest weekend ever as well below its last weekend opening, Toy Story 4 and Super Mario. 

Its drop is similar to that of Mario's second frame and way better than Woody and Buzz's 44% dip which sets for better legs. Important to remark the spectacular Saturday and Sunday that it had; if it had followed Mario's way it would've been the initially forecasted $320M weekend so that.

Both Sat and Sun are the best for a second weekend (est. $124M/$139M) and as for Sunday, is the 5th biggest ever below those of Endgame, Toy Story 4, Inside Out 2 (first Sunday) and Infinity War.

We'll see how it holds before Despicable Me 4 arrives but should be o/u Mario's $1.55B by next week's report on its way to become the first $1.7B and $1.8B lc and $90M USD grosser.

Bad Boys manages a great hold once again and is aimed to surpass For Life as the most successful release of the franchise. Nonetheless surviving and working as the perfect counter programming for Inside Out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

For family animation, there's ground to say it's at the top.

And horror is typically also biggest market. Sadly is been down this year.

Top 2 OS market this year for Panda 4, Garfield and Inside Out 2. Biggest market for Robot Dreams surpassing both US/CAN and its home country Spain; big things ahead for Despicable Me 4 and Moana 2.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

$2M Tuesday for IO2, total is now $68.4M. ER has fluctuated so much in the past days, total in lc should be between 1.245 and 1.25B lc.

$1.252B. Tuesday is -49% from past Tuesday; once again a great hold and Wednesday should get a increase to reverse the trend and show a softer drop.

Thinking -40% to -45% for the weekend taking it to $1.53B by Sunday. Mario shall fall by Monday and No Way Home by the moment DM4 opens.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2

A QUIET PLACE: DAY ONE (OPENING DAY) - T-19 HOURS

Title Seats sold Seats available Occupancy

A Quiet Place

1,504 30,522 4.93%

Just for future reference. I don't really have anything to compare it with.

FWIW is ahead of The Marvels and Indiana Jones. Considering horror is pretty walk-up friendly, I think it can challenge $60M-$70M with a high ATP as it seems to skew big cities.

• Like 1

DESPICABLE ME 4 (OPENING DAY) - T-8 DAYS

Title Seats sold Seats available Occupancy

Despicable Me 4

2,212 56,610 3.91%

Comps at the same point before release

Title Seats sold Seats available Occupancy Growth from T-6 Comp in % Comp in lc
Little Mermaid 1,092 17,685 6.17% +40.36% 202.56% $47.8M
Inside Out 2 5,645 56,067 10.07%   39.19% $41.15M

Very promising at the moment. Should at least open on par with both Minions and above Despicable Me 3 set for a potential $300M start and the best of the franchise.

Important to notice seats available as of this moment is a higher tally than that of Inside Out 2 so Universal may be preparing Illumination for their first 5,000+ screens start as Mario and previous Gru installments opened to *just* 4k-4.5k.

However, taking such number of screens will directly impact negatively on Inside Out 2 and remaining holdovers would be basically wiped out. Maxxxine is opening on July 4th too but not expecting it to go wide.

30 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

However, taking such number of screens will directly impact negatively on Inside Out 2 and remaining holdovers would be basically wiped out.

Digging some more I found everytime a Despicable Me title -besides the first one- has faced a Pixar one; the Pixar one takes a huge hit: both Inside Out and Cars 3 dropped 75% and Monster's University did a bit better with a 69% slip.

• Like 1

The Quietverse

With higher ticket prices, Day One should have the biggest OW/total of the franchise; audience-wise, aiming to reach Part II levels.

Movie  OW lc   OW Aud   Total lc   Total Aud 
A Quiet Place $41,970,887 752,399 $139,464,212 2,687,635
A Quiet Place Part II $40,469,527 582,836 $132,694,218 2,025,578