Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | $83.1M total up to Monday for Inside Out 2; here come the Minions!

OPPENHEIMER OPENING DAY - T-6 DAYS

Title Number of shows Sold Total Available Growth from T-7 Occupancy
Oppenheimer 41 419 6604 22.87% 6.91%

Cool start going by limitations in shows due to the runtime. We'll see if it accelerates this weekend or it'll be more backloaded.

I'll keep IMAX numbers separated from these ones but still do updates.

1,856 / 3,652 - 50.82% occupancy 

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

$250M seems locked for Barbie unless something catastrophic happens.

$50M for Oppenheimer with IMAX shows filling up more and more. Above Dunkirk adjusted and maybe above Interstellar as well ($60M)

250M incl. previews?

1 hour ago, Bob-omb said:

Oh, I see thanks. So how does it work in Mexico? Are thursdays included in the weekend? 

Yes. They used to be accounted separately because 4-Day weekends used to be a thing only depending on the season or title but now everything all the time releases on Thursday.

Wednesday night previews are now what midnight shows used to be.

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2023 at 12:42 PM, Carlangonz said:

BARBIE OPENING DAY - T-6 DAYS

Title Number of shows Sold Total Available Growth from T-13 Occupancy % of comp Comp in lc
Barbie 105 12557 23117 20.09% 54.32%    
Spiderverse 84 8692 19284 15% 45.07% 144.47% $65.01M

BARBIE OPENING DAY - T-3 DAYS

Title Number of shows Sold Total Available Growth from T-6 Occupancy % of comp Comp in lc
Barbie 105 15226 23117 21.26% 65.86%    
Spiderverse 84 9797 19284 12.71% 50.8% 155.41% $69.93M

The comp is just getting bigger and bigger! Remaining shows should start to be added as soon as tonight but nearest locations to those among the sample are getting all the spillover already.

Matinee shows at VIP locations are pretty much done with PLFs looking to be at least to 50% full and traditional screenings doing great numbers as well.

Will wait for final allocation but this may be closer to Mario's TFSS than expected.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 3

On 7/14/2023 at 4:46 PM, Carlangonz said:

OPPENHEIMER OPENING DAY - T-6 DAYS

Title Number of shows Sold Total Available Growth from T-7 Occupancy
Oppenheimer 41 419 6604 22.87% 6.91%

I'll keep IMAX numbers separated from these ones but still do updates.

1,856 / 3,652 - 50.82% occupancy 

OPPENHEIMER OPENING DAY - T-3 DAYS (NON-IMAX SHOWS)

Title Number of shows Sold Total Available Growth from T-6 Occupancy % of comp Comp in lc
Oppenheimer 41 771 6604 84.01% 12.71%    
Indiana Jones 5 60 323 11086 NA 2.91% 238.70% $14.8M

Tricky comparison because itself because Barbenheimer is boosting numbers so I don't think it'll go as high but anyway magnificent prospect if pace holds and somewhat finishes around $10M for the day.

OPPENHEIMER OPENING DAY - T-3 DAYS (IMAX ONLY)

Title Number of shows Sold Total Available Growth from T-6 Occupancy
Oppenheimer 12 2514 3652 35.45 68.84%

Incredible figure. I'll probably track some other IMAX locations to see how's behaving but feels like the overall weekend could add $6M-7M in the format alone.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 2

45 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

BARBIE OPENING DAY - T-3 DAYS

Barbie 105 15226 23117 21.26% 65.86%    
Spiderverse 84 9797 19284 12.71% 50.8% 155.41% $69.93M

The comp is just getting bigger and bigger! Remaining shows should start to be added as soon as tonight but nearest locations to those among the sample are getting all the spillover already.

Matinee shows at VIP locations are pretty much done with PLFs looking to be at least to 50% full and traditional screenings doing great numbers as well.

Will wait for final allocation but this may be closer to Mario's TFSS than expected.

Any numbers for full OW?

4 hours ago, Bobzaruni said:

Any numbers for full OW?

Not doing anything concrete until we hit final allocation. As I said earlier seems like $250M is locked. Could see a path for $350M which would be just hitting $20M USD but my current ceiling is at $320M

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 1

Cuernavaca is a city in the state of Morelos which is next to Mexico City. For several reasons people travel a lot between cities and because you gotta take highway to get to each other there's not really public transportation and instead you have to get a bus that doesn't make any stop and travels from a Grand Central to another.

These trips are so common and crowded that you can easily get a bus every 20-30 minutes so there's a saying that is "Como autobús a Cuernavaca" / "(Scheduled) Like a bus to Cuernavaca"

I'm seeing first full schedules for the weekend at some places and seems like Barbie is ruled by that saying.

As expected all Little Mermaid, Spiderverse and the few shows remaining for Guardians and Fast X are gone.

Flash and Transformers are still holding sharing one screen at complexes. 

Elemental taking a hit at smaller theaters having to share shows with either Barbie or Dead Reckoning but still surviving at bigger multiplexes (14+ screens)

Insidious and Dead Reckoning seem to be the better positioned with at least one screen per theater. 

Of course if Barbie shows strength is done for Flash/Transformers/Elemental and if Oppenheimer breaks out then is done for Insidious and Dead Reckoning.

VIP are looking to be devoted entirely to Barbenheimer with some shows for MI7 and Insidious.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

I may take Friday data. Seeing insane sales at some theatres in the sample.

I've been thinking since April that Beauty and the Beast and Joker would be appropriate comps in terms of buzz and phenomenon. I think I should've been looking higher.

39 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

I may take Friday data. Seeing insane sales at some theatres in the sample.

I've been thinking since April that Beauty and the Beast and Joker would be appropriate comps in terms of buzz and phenomenon. I think I should've been looking higher.

Which cities / CDMX areas do you scan? And which chain Cinepolis or Cinemex?

And the Top 10 of the year before Barbie's invasion.

TOP MOVIES 2023 (lc)

01     1,541,000,000  The Super Mario Bros. Movie

02        667,000,000  Fast X

03        641,000,000  Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3

04        491,400,000  Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

05        363,000,000  The Little Mermaid (2023)

06        340,600,000  Transformers: Rise of the Beasts

07        330,055,000  Ant Man & The Wasp: Quantumania

08        325,200,000  The Flash

09        278,100,000  Elemental

10        259,000,000  John Wick IV

• Like 2