Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | The Wild Robot and The Substance rule the weekend

On 10/7/2024 at 3:02 PM, Carlangonz said:

Oct 31 will see another horror release with Terrifier 3 which is being handled by a bigger distributor than Part 2 and shall see a wider launch; perhaps will open north of $20M. Could be bigger but this one is getting a C-Rating compared to B-15 for Longlegs or Smile 2 for example.

I'll have to eat my words on this one. Despite first Smile being rated B-15, the second part has got a more intense C-Rating; an unexpected move, it must be gorier.

This decade the only titles to surpass $100M with that rating are Deapool & Wolverine and The Suicide Squad; and The Substance will join soon there as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

Amazing performance, the buzz in social media is off the charts.

Mexicans will handle Demi Moore's awards campaign.

Hats off to Mubi for taking advantage of the organic WOM and boosting business. A x10 multi is insane but reaching it after the third weekend is mindblowing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

As per @elapanco looks like third weekend to weekend increase for The Substance :ohmygod:

$200M+ final are on the table

Incredible story, the best story of the year , i think.

10 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

Amazing performance, the buzz in social media is off the charts.

$10.8M for The Wild Robot, ~205M lc. Beetlejuice 2 reached $19.0M. And Joker 2? $7.4M. Oomph.

Good hold for TWR. Return on the top i think . No comments for Joker 2.

• Like 1

OCTOBER 10-13 WEEKEND.

1. The Wild Robot - $46.4M/$214.3M (+1.75%)
2. The Substance - $29.7M/$120.7M (+18.8%)
3. Joker: Folie a Deux - $22.6M/$144M (-74.41%)
4. My Hero Academy: You're Next - $10.3M
5. Un Viaje al Corazón - $8.5M
6. Woman of the Hour - $7.9M
7. Beetlejuice Beetlejuice - $7.2M/$378.1M (-45.86%)
8. Speak No Evil - $4.4M/$88.4M (-42.86%)
9. Dragonkeeper - $4.2M
10. Jungkook: I Am Still (Re-issue) - $3.8M/$52.2M

This is the lowest weekend in a month but still strong going into a powerful end of year. Top 2 sees increases! The Wild Robot is way up from estimates benefiting from a good screen count and no direct competition as well as a very warm reception. Is now running 7.6% behind Elemental at the same point of release with a weekend 12% bigger. Looks like $350M+ final may be achievable indeed.

Third weekend increase for The Substance did happen! In USD that's a bigger weekend than US/CAN and even bigger in admissions considering ATP is lower here. Is now going towards $200M+ amidst huge social media noise and over 2M admissions which would be bigger than US/CAN which is insane for a non-local release.

MUBI has made a wonderful job compared to their DOM counterpart given their strategy release: limited on a holiday, wide presence after and then expanding it weekend to weekend as buzz grows, went from less than 300 on first day to 2,000 by now.

Joker plummets harder than The Flash (-57%) and The Marvels (-61%) and looks like won't even make it to $200M. In both lc and admissions is aiming to drop over 80% from original Joker.

Special mention to Speak No Evil which keeps legging towards $90M becoming the fifth biggest horror pic of the year only behind A Quiet Place: Day One, Alien: Romulus, The Substance and The First Omen. A whopping 6x from opening weekend.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2024 at 10:33 AM, Grand Cine said:

Incredible story, the best story of the year , i think.

It is and will be until the end of the year unless any of the major tentpoles beat Inside Out 2 or Terrifier 3 grosses over $300M. Of course I don't expect any of those things to happen.

Edited by Carlangonz

22 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

CANACINE's numbers up to the 14th, very close between Lupita and Demi for #1 on Monday!

Wild Robot 219.5M lc, Substance 125.5M lc and 1.6M tickets, Joker 2 145.4M lc and 1.8M tickets, Beetlejuice 2 378.9M lc.

That's Mon to Mon increase for both of them, magnificent WOM.

Later tonight will open Smile 2 with Wed Night Previews; not expecting much due to show limitation; perhaps $2M-$3M for $30M-$35M weekend. Don't know how affected could be by C-Rating but The Substance and Deapool & Wolverine have overcome that obstacle already ths year so we'll see.

@Carlangonz are you planning to give us an update on Venom The Last Dance pre sales in Mexico.

I’m randomly getting loads of stuff from Mexico, since biggest influencers with over 10M followed on TikTok to even major Mexican soccer clubs. Sony seems to be going pretty wild for Latin America marketing.