Tár (2022)  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

A must-see for anyone with a stake in the “art versus artist” debates. One of the most finely-crafted films of the year, with Cate Blanchett just embodying the film. A film with a lot to say that, for the most part, succeeds in saying it.

Shout-out to any Monster Hunter fans who get surprised by the final scene…

Anyway, this gets an A.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 1

As writer-director Todd Field’s first film in a whopping 16 years, Tár proves to be worth the wait for Field’s return. In what feels like the Eyes Wide Shut co-star’s most Kubrickian effort to date, Field delivers a mannered, meticulously constructed character study that finds ways to make even long conversations and static shots feel urgent. The film is demanding in its approach and subject matter, and it will undoubtedly inspire some discourse over its decision to center on an unlikable protagonist whose behavior results in her public downfall. However, for viewers who can immerse themselves in the study of a troubled character, it is a fiercely compelling film that arrests the attention and will leave viewers with plenty to ponder about its themes and implications afterward. Though it may be just a tad hasty to make such a statement about such a renowned actor, I really think that Cate Blanchett’s performance in the title role marks a new career best. Blanchett commands viewers’ attention every second of the way with a performance that masters both her big, showy moments and the more subdued, internalized touches. It’s vivid, masterful, and wholly lived-in work that remains mesmerizing from the first scene to the last. Blanchett is also great at leaning directly into Tár’s less savory qualities, while also providing just enough humanizing touches for viewers to pity her to some extent as her long-overdue public reckoning unfolds. There will be plenty of thinkpieces on what this film is saying about cancel culture, but Blanchett’s performance is so tapped into the nuances of the character and her situation that the film feels like an even-handed examination of power, consequences, and humiliation. Much of the film belongs to Blanchett, but the cast around her is also in fine form, with the supporting highlight coming from Portrait of a Lady on Fire star Noemie Merlant in an internalized but stirring performance as Tár’s faithful but put-upon assistant. Tár will not be everyone’s cup of tea with its deliberate pacing and unflinching look into the life of a troubling character, but for those who can allow themselves to connect with Field’s very finely tuned direction and Blanchett’s magnificent performance, it is a riveting experience that ranks among the best films I have seen this year.

A

Finally saw this. It's a very well-made movie that tackles timely and relevant subject matter (cancel culture, abuse of power, etc.) in an understated and nuanced way, which I appreciated, but I couldn't help but feel slightly let down after all the hype. Also definitely don't think this needed to be nearly 160 minutes long, as it can drag at times. But Cate Blanchett assures it's riveting at all times. I wouldn't call this the best performance of her career (for my money, that remains either Blue Jasmine or the limited series Mrs. America), but she does an incredible job capturing the unraveling of this powerful individual. B+

The ending was priceless though. How the mighty have fallen.

Enjoyed this and was mostly engaged throughout but my interest did start to wane eventually. It's not a slog by any means, just kinda slow and cerebral for me. I need more excitement or humor or something if a movie's gonna be this long and slow paced. 

The ending was fun and the dubstep song during the end credits suggested the film wasn't taking itself as seriously as the lead character takes herself. I feel like the movie overall could've benefitted more from that kinda humorous tongue in cheek tone.

Edited by MOVIEGUY