Eric Duncan

OMG IS MARVEL DYING?????????????????????

I wish it were true but its as strong as it has been. Ant-Man 2 opened to just 76m despite opening between 2 mega Avengers movies. But Ant-man 3 is behaving like a prequel to Avengers Kang Dynasty. Let us see how things go but Guardians 3 will explode out of the block and despite Marvels looking weak, the predecessor opened > 150m and grossed > 400m. Let us actually wait for a non event(s) from MCU before even consider this as a possibility.  

18 minutes ago, Eric Crowe said:

For people who feel they absolutely need to argue if MCU is dying or not, like the world will explode if they don't, just do it over here. We're done with this clogging up the Ant-Man thread.

I don’t think it’s dying but I do think certain highs may not be reached mainly due to portions of the GA leaving but the MCU still has a large fanbase. It reminds me a lot of Pixar in the 2010s. The movies will still be big with the big ones exploding but it may not be as big as its prime. The main thing to watch for is WOM, while I don’t think they’re hated, 3 of the 7 Phase 4 film had mixed WOM and if the problem persists this Phase it could be a problem, though as of now no. If Phase 5 has the problem, then we will worry.

59 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think some of you take things too literally when some said MCU is in trouble despite 800-900M grossers. 

Yes, the box office is steady and big, but that's only one data and this alone doesn't proof things are in great shape. What we're looking here is how these movies on Phase 4 are having pretty bad legs and it's still having good numbers because they open too big, because people still have good will with the brand, but they're getting meh to bad WOM, bad legs which leads to lower grosses than it could get. 

This happened with 4 out of 7 movies on Phase 4, it is obviously something that can't keep happening or the good will i mentioned will start to fade. 

If Quantumania ended up having mixed reviews and meh WOM, it will be the fifth time in a span of less than 2 years (and i'm not even counting the TV shows which mostly also have meh to bad WOM). 

I do think the "MCU is dead" statements are absurd, but it is in a big trouble thinking in the long term which is the goal with an cinematic universe, deny this isn't less absurd than saying it's dead, they need to fix their quality control and i think fans should be very vocal about this. 

This statement best summarizes it better than I could.

• Like 1

They just need to be making better movies (and tv shows).

They have just seem to have gotten a bit lazy or have creatively just hit a wall. Releasing even more content has just turned something special into a bit of a chore.

People responded to billion grossers like Avatar 2, Top Gun: Maverick because of the care and attention put into them. It doesn’t seem Marvel care, as long as it’s serviceable they just release it and hope for the best. That’s how it feels to me anyway.