Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

Big disagree with TR being better received by audiences than any recent DWA. PiB 2 is arguably one of the strongest animated word of mouth hits ever, and Bad Guys WOM was pretty good as well. I honestly don’t think TR would have matched either’s WOM bc it is too niche with being very tween girl aimed in its target audience (though certainly would have had a better opening than those). 

Also, big shame Ruby seems to be back to same old, same old mid DWA. I was really impressed with them with the aforementioned 1-2 punch and was hoping it was signaling a real shift in higher quality from them. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Big disagree with TR being better received by audiences than any recent DWA. PiB 2 is arguably one of the strongest animated word of mouth hits ever, and Bad Guys WOM was pretty good as well. I honestly don’t think TR would have matched either’s WOM bc it is too niche with being very tween girl aimed in its target audience (though certainly would have had a better opening than those). 

Also, big shame Ruby seems to be back to same old, same old mid DWA. I was really impressed with them with the aforementioned 1-2 punch and was hoping it was signaling a real shift in higher quality from them. 

I mean just because it’s more female skewing doesn’t mean kids wouldn’t dig it. Otherwise no Disney Princess movie would be a big hit. It was one of the most watched movies on the plus, second to Encanto. Think it’d at least match Bad Guys WOM.

• Like 3

you can't use streaming numbers to assume a film would be a gigantic hit in theaters since a lot of those numbers are from the same parents just showing the film to their kids over and over again. In a theater they will likely only go once

26 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I expect DoD to not hang on to showtimes as much as something like Armageddon could though…

yeah lol... it's not going to get a 5.5x multiplier. It's just not going to happen.

Just now, YM! said:

I mean just because it’s more female skewing doesn’t mean kids wouldn’t dig it. Otherwise no Disney Princess movie would be a big hit. It was one of the most watched movies on the plus, second to Encanto. Think it’d at least match Bad Guys WOM.

It’s much different though to be more female skewing and more mature vs feeling pretty exclusively aimed at more mature female audiences (or adult male audiences). I just don’t think an animated Pixar film would have blown up at the box office under those circumstances. It’s really the same for Luca, except to boy skewing. Although in that case, it was still aimed more at kids at least. 

Just now, Eric Jones said:

Feels like we do this "are Turning Red/Luca/Soul really hits tho" stuff every month now. We need new material here pronto.

I think most people here just want a world where they were in the cinemas.

Onward was looking likely for a very Ratatouille/Coco run before the pandemic hit. Might have ended up their highest post TS4 grosser so far. 

uhh I don't know how on earth you could have said that... that movie's whole release was under the specter of COVID.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Onward was looking likely for a very Ratatouille/Coco run before the pandemic hit. Might have ended up their highest post TS4 grosser so far. 

I'm very curious to how a non-pandemic Onward would have fared (and yes I know that it did very on streaming/digital when it dropped early). It had solid WOM (A- Cinemascore, 4.5/5 PostTrak and 4/5 from kids) but not on the same level as something like Elemental's WOM is at. But it also had the benefit of seemingly no competition so it could have been the default option for families.

We'll never truly know though.

3 minutes ago, screambaby said:

This comment comes at random

I like Armageddon 98.

I say that with no sense of shame.

Look man, I rip on Bayformers but outside of those films I'm generally a Bay defender and I think Armageddon is one of his best. Great blockbuster.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

uhh I don't know how on earth you could have said that... that movie's whole release was under the specter of COVID.

Yes, but the initial WOM from metric sites was very strong if I remember correctly. It also didn’t have the issue of feeling like it was too adult or too niche to one specific demo like most of their other ones we’re discussing. Likely add another 10m onto OW and maybe a 4x multi with no pandemic. 

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It’s much different though to be more female skewing and more mature vs feeling pretty exclusively aimed at more mature female audiences (or adult male audiences). I just don’t think an animated Pixar film would have blown up at the box office under those circumstances. It’s really the same for Luca, except to boy skewing. Although in that case, it was still aimed more at kids at least. 

So by that logic, if Luca was too boy-skewing, the SpiderVerse movies or Mario movies or shit even Sonic movies wouldn’t do well. I do think Turning Red may have played more mature than the usual Pixar but not something that’s be too off putting for families. Right now it’s a lot of maybe or maybe not because none of the three Plus Pixar had theatrical but I think all would’ve at least outdone Elemental based on reception.

5 minutes ago, YM! said:

So by that logic, if Luca was too boy-skewing, the SpiderVerse movies or Mario movies or shit even Sonic movies wouldn’t do well. I do think Turning Red may have played more mature than the usual Pixar but not something that’s be too off putting for families. Right now it’s a lot of maybe or maybe not because none of the three Plus Pixar had theatrical but I think all would’ve at least outdone Elemental based on reception.

How are Mario or Spiderverse near as boy centric as Luca? Luca just feels like a stereotypical “boy’s movie” through and through in a way those don’t at all. It’s kind of like how Little Mermaid has always felt stereotypically “girl’s movie” in a way Beauty and the Beast doesn’t. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

How are Mario or Spiderverse near as boy centric as Luca? Luca just feels like a stereotypical “boy’s movie” through and through in a way those don’t at all. It’s kind of like how Little Mermaid has always felt stereotypically “girl’s movie” in a way Beauty and the Beast doesn’t. 

what on earth are you talking about lol

• Like 3

Just now, cannastop said:

what on earth are you talking about lol

That those movies feel like they were aimed at boys/girls more extensively. Especially a lot of stereotypical boy/girl things, which is how a lot of audiences respond. Mario for example has been culturally relevant across generations and both genders for decades. What a strange thing to say it’s “boy centric.” 

That those movies feel like they were aimed at boys/girls more extensively. Especially a lot of stereotypical boy/girl things, which is how a lot of audiences respond. Mario for example has been culturally relevant across generations and both genders for decades. What a strange thing to say it’s “boy centric.” 

Mario skewed 60 male/40 female OW by the way. By no means am I implying Luca would be as big as Mario but your argument feels like a lot of ridiculous hyperbole.

Edited by YM!