Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

Again, it wasn't groundbreaking because ALL THOSE THINGS WERE IN THE MARIO GAMES FOR DECADES.

Do people on here have this shallow a reference pool that they trust randos in the Nazi bird app over the actual history of the games?! It's not like Mario is some obscure book written by a banned Iranian author or something.

Who said anything about Mario being groundbreaking? I said Peach wasn't media hype/talking point. Only some individuals got their panties in a twist before seeing the movie just like they did about D&D trailer ("D&D hates men!" "Oops I saw the movie have to retract it, it's awesome!"). But there's no question that Lightyear was hyped as groundbreaking in media not just by individuals. Big difference. 

Lightyear was hyped as groundbreaking AFTER Disney decided to oppose Don't Say Gay, not before.

Even that didn't unring their actual original sin that probably upset the animators (cancelling Nimona). Neither Illumination nor Sony Animation cancelled Nimona and therefore never got blowback for it.

Edited by MightyDargon

3 minutes ago, YM! said:

Tbh I think Lightyear and Strange World’s problems were more so that both sucked and felt like copies of the usual formula rather than minimal LGBT representation that got a media spread. Disney has been doing the first gay character for years now, since like Beauty and the Beast and that did 1.2B, and even on the less discourse side and while it didn’t have LGBTQ representation was still scrutinized by the right Captain Marvel did 1.1B. Barbie is looking to be one of the biggest films of the year and is also getting shitted on by the right. 

Exactly. that's what I'm trying to say. when a movie sucks (Lightyear, Strange World) people zero on miniscule (not what movie's about) controversy. when a movie is great (AtSV) they don't notice or don't care to think about it cause all the rest is more important and this also goes for well-liked not so good movies (BatB).

Edited by Valonqar

12 minutes ago, Elden Lord said:

It actually came out in Oct 2021, and while I agree with your sentiment that we weren't at the height of the Pandemic lockdowns in Oct 2021, there were still a lot of restrictions in place that greatly limited theater attendance. Many states and countries were still limiting the amount of people a movie theater could put in a screening. Including requirements of "x" amount of seats and rows in between groups that were not of the same household. Masking was still a requirement in the vast majority of areas, and people were still scared shitless as the spike associated with the cooler months was starting to hit. 

So the "day for date" and continuing pandemic restrictions and mood went hand in hand in giving people the excuse to stay home and watch Dune via HBOMAX. An excuse they did not have if they wanted to watch Sang-Chi as it was well known before hand that Sang-Chi was going to have a 45 day Theatrical run before being released to Disney+ or Black Widow which had the premier access fee attached to it on top of the Disney+ membership. 

Now, I am not saying Dune would have done just as well as Shang-Chi or Black Widow had Dune been released in similar manners. However, I think that it is at least clear that if it wasn't for the day to date release that gave people the excuse to stay home and avoid all the pandemic restrictions and anxiety, it would have done much, much better in the theaters (at least domestically). 

Ya, still no. It opened late October and played into Nov. International covid restrictions were pretty much nonexistent.