Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

If you don’t get what I mean with Mermaid vs. Beauty, just look at how gender split for LA remakes was 60% for BatB vs 70% for Mermaid. And I’d argue BatB was only that high bc it made a point to target YA females way more than the animated film ever did and emphasize the romance element. I think BatB the animated film is relatively 50/50 in its gender appeal. 

8 minutes ago, YM! said:

Mario skewed 60 male/40 female OW by the way. By no means am I implying Luca would be as big as Mario but your argument feels like a lot of ridiculous hyperbole.

And I would argue that’s likely due to attracting older males more than older females. I bet the kid gender demo was fairly even. Beyond that, I don’t consider 60% to be a drastic skew. I’m talking about like the 70%+ movies. Luca and TR would have both been that imo. 

40 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Big disagree with TR being better received by audiences than any recent DWA. PiB 2 is arguably one of the strongest animated word of mouth hits ever, and Bad Guys WOM was pretty good as well. I honestly don’t think TR would have matched either’s WOM bc it is too niche with being very tween girl aimed in its target audience (though certainly would have had a better opening than those). 

Also, big shame Ruby seems to be back to same old, same old mid DWA. I was really impressed with them with the aforementioned 1-2 punch and was hoping it was signaling a real shift in higher quality from them. 

Wait, you said many times during the weekend how Elemental going to around 5x multiplier isn’t anything special WOM-wise to be celebrated the way we’re doing and it‘s just a course correction because the opening is too low 

But you think The Bad Guys with 4.2x multiplier coming off a even worse OW is pretty good WOM? 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

How are Mario or Spiderverse near as boy centric as Luca? Luca just feels like a stereotypical “boy’s movie” through and through in a way those don’t at all. It’s kind of like how Little Mermaid has always felt stereotypically “girl’s movie” in a way Beauty and the Beast doesn’t. 

Luca is not a boys movie, Luca is a queer movie and we love it for that 

I’ll never forgive Disney for not letting me watch a boy mermaid discover his first ambiguous friendship in the big screen

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Wait, you said many times during the weekend how Elemental going to around 5x multiplier isn’t anything special WOM-wise to be celebrated the way we’re doing and it‘s just a course correction because the opening is too low 

But you think The Bad Guys with 4.2x multiplier coming off an es even worse OW is pretty good WOM? 

Yes because that’s not summer and there’s no brand name power with DWA. Everything is dependent on WOM, “course correction” based off of name isn’t a luxury for them. Are we also going to just ignore Bad Guys was still coming off of covid recovery? No Way Home had only reignited the box office a mere few months earlier, we weren’t out of the woods yet. 

Edited by MovieMan89

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yes because that’s not summer and there’s no brand name power with DWA. Everything is dependent on WOM, “course correction” based off of name isn’t a luxury for them. Are we also going to just ignore Bad Guys was still coming off of covid recovery? No Way Home had only reignited the box office a mere few months earlier, we weren’t out of the woods yet. 

Do you know how rare it is to get a near 5x multiple in summer for animation? There’s only been two examples in the past 23 years.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

I’ll never forgive Disney for not letting me watch a boy mermaid discover his first ambiguous friendship in the big screen

Oh how I would have killed for Luca to come out when I was a kid. Would have put a lot into perspective for me much earlier.

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

As a gay cis-male, I must say… this is the first time I have ever heard anyone cite Luca as an lgbtq film. Also, saying it’s big among people who identify as gay males doesn’t diminish it being a “boys” skew movie…

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yes we were, everyone was vaccinated and theaters was fully open and it didn’t have any competition for 2 months when Lightyear dropped (it did faced DS2 but that doesn’t really aim the same audience and still dropped 2 full weeks after Bad Guys).

We literally had Minions 2 doing nearly a billion 2 months after that come on now

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Yes we were, everyone was vaccinated and theaters was fully open and it didn’t have any competition for 2 months when Lightyear dropped (it did faced DS2 but that doesn’t really aim the same audience and still dropped 2 full weeks after Bad Guys).

We literally had Minions 2 doing nearly a billion 2 months after that come on now

Yeah, summer is when we officially hit “out of the covid woods” territory at the box office. Before that in 2022 was still recovery phase  

23 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And I would argue that’s likely due to attracting older males more than older females. I bet the kid gender demo was fairly even. Beyond that, I don’t consider 60% to be a drastic skew. I’m talking about like the 70%+ movies. Luca and TR would have both been that imo. 

It’s very very hard for animation to do 70/30 males to females (or the reverse tbh) without adults outside the family demographic showing out in full force. I agree Luca would skew way younger than Mario and Across but it would not be enough for that split.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

As a gay cis-male, I must say… this is the first time I have ever heard anyone cite Luca as an lgbtq film. Also, it still counts as a “boys movie” if we’re saying it’s big among people who identify as gay males. 

It counts as boys movie, is a joke. 

But yeah, it’s very embraced by the LGBTQIA+ community. There’s nothing explicitly said like Nimona that just dropped on Netflix (great movie btw), but it clearly have this subtext in the whole movie. 

I remember Pixar staff said last year how DIS makes them get back when it comes to create clear queer characters in their movies, my best bet it that the movie in question was Luca since the movie already have this subtext  under the surface.

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

It counts as boys movie, is a joke. 

But yeah, it’s very embraced by the LGBTQIA+ community. There’s nothing explicitly said like Nimona that just dropped on Netflix (great movie btw), but it clearly have this subtext in the whole movie. 

I remember Pixar staff said last year how DIS makes them get back when it comes to create clear queer characters in their movies, my best bet it that the movie in question was Luca since the movie already have this subtext  under the surface.

I can see it now that you bring it up, but still hadn’t had it brought up to me before. I still say the kids who know they identify as female would not have had nearly as high of interest in Luca. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, summer is when we officially hit “out of the covid woods” territory at the box office. Before that in 2022 was still recovery phase  

LOL 

We literally had Sonic 2 doing nearly 200M DOM few weeks before it (and yes it was a kids movie, it dropped along the spring break in many schools and nearly half of the OW came from people under 17 years old)

I could maybe buy dismissing Elemental as a "course correction" if it were doing like a normal 3x multiplier but it's doing a lot more than that and a lot more likely than two previous Pixar movies. This feels like just trying to downplay its performance for the sake of downplaying it.

If you insist on harping on the lack of precedence for its terrible opening weekend you also have to acknowledge the lack of precedence for its legs. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 9

Just now, AniNate said:

I could maybe buy dismissing Elemental as a "course correction" if it were doing like a normal 3x multiplier but it's doing a lot more than that and a lot more likely than two previously Pixar movies. This feels like just trying to downplay its performance for the sake of downplaying it.

3x?!? How on earth would it open to 29m as a Pixar film in summer with no following direct competition and do only 3x? Barring toxic WOM, which I think we all agree didn’t happen. 

15 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Oh how I would have killed for Luca to come out when I was a kid. Would have put a lot into perspective for me much earlier.

Right? It’s such a sweet movie, reminded me a lot of my youth, it was very emotional. 

I think is very nice that we’re getting so many quality animations about many subjects these days. From Soul and Spidey to black and afro-latino communities, Luca and Nimona to queer people, Turning Red was massive with adolescent girls and seems to had a very emotional impact on Asian-American people (especially because it dropped with EEAAO that discuss some of the same things). Even Elemental is also very obviously about immigration.

I think animations is doing a way better job when it comes to diverse stories than live action blockbusters.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

3x?!? How on earth would it open to 29m as a Pixar film in summer with no following direct competition and do only 3x? Barring toxic WOM, which I think we all agree didn’t happen. 

I think toxic wom would still mean dropping fast, especially with another acclaimed PG rated option out in Spiderverse. "Ok" would be 3x. I don't know why but you keep dodging the point that it's doing absolute gangbusters in Korea even by regular Pixar standards and might possibly do the same in other markets as well, you can't chalk that up to everyone just thinking it's "ok". 

Edited by AniNate