ChipDerby

National Cinema Derby | Week 34

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

Holy shit I got a top 3 score that's as good as winning for me!

Unfortunately too optimistic on BB, as I was on Strays. @TalismanRing simply unbeatable this time, insane score 👊

54 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

No idea what to expect this week. I think I'll be way off no matter what I put for each movie because of NCD. I'm half expecting Barbie to return to #1.

I just had a quick check on NCD 2022 scores and they weren't pretty! And similar methodology will be useless this year I guess given it's not falling on Labor Day weekend and Sun vs Sat :thinking:

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

On 8/22/2023 at 1:38 PM, Hilts said:

Unfortunately too optimistic on BB, as I was on Strays. @TalismanRing simply unbeatable this time, insane score 👊

I just had a quick check on NCD 2022 scores and they weren't pretty! And similar methodology will be useless this year I guess given it's not falling on Labor Day weekend and Sun vs Sat :thinking:

giphy.gif

Also $4 vs $3 tickets to take into account

• Thanks 1

Since tickets are $4 if admissions for Sunday are at 8m, then Sunday gross will be $32m, which would be up from Sunday's, although Gran Turismo and a few others are opening this week so I'm expecting most holdovers to be flat ish from last week on Sunday, some like Barbie increasing and some like Blue Beetle likely decrease

Edited by Bob Train

9 hours ago, M37 said:

Just out of curiosity, anyone want to share their process for estimating the NCD weekend? (And just winging it is always an option)

I did about 80% of the IMs for last time (adjusting for adult vs family/kids etc) since it's Sunday and no holiday Monday.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 8:09 PM, TalismanRing said:

I did about 80% of the IMs for last time (adjusting for adult vs family/kids etc) since it's Sunday and no holiday Monday.  🤷‍♀️

My convoluted method: estimated Fri + Sat using typical % drops/IM method. Then cut 10% off estimate of that to account for some demand being pulled to NCD on Sunday.  For NCD, started with a baseline 10% drop from last Sunday (for ~$25M aggregate and presuming there would be some correlation to day of week), then made adjustments for genre, like boosting family films up more, lowered some others

Wasn't perfect, but seems to have mostly balanced out in the end

Tom Cruise Sunglasses GIF by Top Gun

• Astonished 1

I would say it's quite impressive for admissions to be $500k above last years considering

a) late night business is way weaker on Sunday

b) Tix are $4 instead of $3

c) Announced on a quite short notice

More appealing product probably helped. Last year it was movies everyone already watched like Top Gun or No Way Home. It could have been higher imo if theaters didn't waste so many screens on Mario/TLM which weren't so full.