Eric the Fall Guy

The Creator (2023)

The Creator (2023)  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

Starts off strong and interesting, flags a little as it turns a little formulaic, then does that thing in early 00's movies where they drag out the third act, when really, one of these setpieces could have been cut.

I have never seen a movie with John David Washington until now and I think he was cast because they thought his subtle-but-almost-nonexistent emoting acting worked for the character, but it just looked like he wasn't responding to anything. He doesn't get better when he's trying to be charismatic and make jokes in the beginning, but when he's just trying to protect her and let the emotions do the acting, it works.

Wish there was more about the AI instead of "Westerners fear it."

Gareth Edwards' "The Creator" is a refreshing stand-out in today's often repetitive sci-fi landscape. What sets "The Creator" apart, for me, is the fact that we have an unique property in a genre filled with adaptations and sequels, a fact that alone makes it worth watching. Edwards is an underrated director, with a good track record of deftly balancing rich storytelling with technical prowess.

John David Washington delivers a strong performance, complemented by a surprisingly adept young "robot" co-lead (I don't know her name). The duo's on-screen chemistry is palpable, adding depth to the film's action sequences, which are as riveting as they are well-executed.

I also really enjoyed the world, the plausible backhistory of the story, and the movie's technology (military, AI, and other types) which felt both innovative and believable, contributing to the story rather than overshadowing it.

I found this to be exquisitely made (and very much worth seeing on an IMAX screen) but also emotionally hollow and highly derivative of other sci-fi movies. Gareth Edwards is quickly picking up a reputation as a filmmaker who favors style over substance, and it's hard to disagree with that notion when I could never fully invest in the fates of Joshua or Alphie, even though the audience is clearly supposed to bond with them. Large part of that problem is that the movie suffers from having a void at its center in the form of John David Washington, giving his latest in a series of bland performances since his BlacKkKlansman breakout. He appears even further outclassed whenever seasoned pros like Allison Janney and Ken Watanabe appear.

That said, it's never boring and the visuals are absolutely stunning (you can see where the economical by 2023 standards $80M budget went), making this worthy of seeing on the biggest screen you can find. For those, this gets a light recommendation. It's just too bad that it's held back from approaching greatness due to undercooked elements in other domains.

B-

• Knock It Off 1