cannastop

When will Secret Life of Pets OW ($104.4m) for an "original" movie be beaten?

One might assume it would be another animated movie, because this record used to the the domain of Pixar. However, if an Avatar-sized original concept comes along... maybe?

However, inflation is inflation so perhaps this record can be beaten sooner rather than later. I think the soonest even possible candidate is Pixar's Elio, though there are many reasons to doubt that it can reach the same heights. It's completely unproven and Pixar (and the owner of Pixar, Disney) have stumbled. Still, my bet is on Pixar to claim this record again, sometime this decade.

note: for the purposes of this, an original movie is one that is not based on any previous IP, including sequels.

I think we gotta be at least half a decade removed from COVID and the animation market in general in a healthy place before this is even like a 10% possibility. So whatever it is we probably don't know what it is yet, though I expect it would have to be a similarly high-concept idea boosted by Illumination's singular ability to promote it to multiple age demographics.

I don't see any kind of Pixar movie being able to achieve that kind of immediate mass interest in the foreseeable future, they're currently struggling to figure out how to get half that amount of people to show up opening weekend.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

this thread was more interesting before someone mentioned NolanI thought this was asking about an original animation movie opening above Pets

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Perhaps a Christopher Nolan original could do it someday, with a few more years of inflation. Maybe if he ever joins forces with DiCaprio again. 

True I didn't consider Nolan. Still if Oppenheimer couldn't do it... (I know it's not a true original though)

Secret life of pets stealing this record from Inside Out is fucking criminal.

Unfortunately I'm not really sure what could even beat it. Nolan seems like the most likely candidate as Cameron's blockbuster efforts will be focused on Avatar. I don't see an original animation ever beating this number.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cannastop said:

strong words. Never ever?

Original animation just seems to be on a descending path and it's hard to imagine it getting enough hype to beat this number, though I also still can't believe fucking life of pets got to such a number to begin with so maybe I'm just that out of touch.