BadOlCatSylvester

Weekend Thread (5/17-19/2024) | WEEKEND ESTIMATES: $35M for IF, $12M for Strangers, $2.85M for Back to Black, $26M for Apes

$35M seemed rather rosy based on the Fri Number.
But good recovery Mav. Garfield on the way.

18 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Oof, seems they did overshoot IF quite a bit

Just now, kayumanggi said:

Dropped from estimates, but I'm still okay with this. Projections before the weekend had 25M as the maxed number.

Very instructive and interesting replies to this tweet. This is not Clay endorsing these people or their responses. But in a world where it seems most people don't think like we do about either entertainment or politics, the responses really are an instructive cross section.

• Like 1

IF has really been a rollercoaster. Down then up then down again.

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Very instructive and interesting replies to this tweet. This is not Clay endorsing these people or their responses. But in a world where it seems most people don't think like we do about either entertainment or politics, the responses really are an instructive cross section.

Twitter really sucks but a lot the things in the replies are things people here have said constantly (and gotten pushback for).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Instructive I guess in the way they emulate the usual cynical, willfully uninformed discourse on the industry

I don't really care to get on the IF defense train, I didn't see it and I probably won't. But just because people say stuff doesn't mean that's what they actually feel, it's more what gets the most brownie points within cynical, willfully uninformed social circles

Edited by AniNate

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Instructive I guess in the way they emulate the usual cynical, willfully uninformed discourse on the industry

I don't really care to get on the IF defense train, I didn't see it and I probably won't. But just because people say stuff doesn't mean that's what they actually feel, it's more what gets the most brownie points within cynical, willfully uninformed social circles

I don't really see how any of the takes are inaccurate, tbh. I mean obviously I disagree vehemently with the actual politics of many of them, but in talking with enough friends of that ilk, tens of millions of ticket-buying Americans genuinely do feel that way. The other takes about consumption habits all feel very true and believable to me. But just my two cents.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't really see how any of the takes are inaccurate, tbh. I mean obviously I disagree vehemently with the actual politics of many of them, but in talking with enough friends of that ilk, tens of millions of ticket-buying Americans genuinely do feel that way. The other takes about consumption habits all feel very true and believable to me. But just my two cents.

People have complained about things being too expensive since the dawn of time, it's not all that illuminating a complaint in itself. The live entertainment industry is very much alive and far more expensive than movies are. It's all about how much people actually value what the cinema experience is these days. 

Clearly, based on Deadpool presales, they're still willing to show up for the right familiar IP. 

Edited by AniNate

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Yeah I don’t believe the politics stuff or “lost the trust of the American public” whatever that means (especially since there’s nothing “political” about IF and Barbie was Introductory Feminism: The Movie and made 1.6B), but the stuff about prices, streaming (especially streaming), IP, etc are all stuff I hear in the real world.

6 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Yeah I don’t believe the politics stuff or “lost the trust of the American public” whatever that means (especially since there’s nothing “political” about IF and Barbie was Introductory Feminism: The Movie and made 1.6B), but the stuff about prices, streaming (especially streaming), IP, etc are all stuff I hear in the real world.

Oh I hear the former stuff allll the time sadly, especially from old high school friends. The King Charles painting has been shared by multiples of people I know about the satanic pedophile influence in the world media. I think that about 40% of America or more now believes that all institutions, including Hollywood, are run by satanic pedophiles. I genuinely believe that Alex Jones belief has gone from fringe to as large as any political party or ideology. It's completely crazy and I think we are losing control of our society. I wish I did not see these things or believe them but even among my mostly liberal friendgroups, outside the ultra professional class, all I hear is conspiratorial bullshit and crazy theories.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

IF has really been a rollercoaster. Down then up then down again.

Twitter really sucks but a lot the things in the replies are things people here have said constantly (and gotten pushback for).

I agree.

Price isn’t a factor for me, the actual effort needed to go and travel to the cinema and then the time eaten out of my day watching the movie is a big turn off me. I did not have this issue pre-pandemic. Why spend the effort going out to the cinema when I can watch it at home in 3 weeks? Also if I do go out with friends/family I’d rather be talking than watching a giant TV.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I buy a loss of romanticism for the theatrical experience, and I do think streaming/PVOD is understandably a much more desirable option for large families these days. But I'm not sure IF's slight overestimate is cause to go on a another doombinge since it is still a step up for original family films post-COVID.

Edited by AniNate