Eric Deetz

Fourth of July/Despicable Me 4 Weekend Thread | 122.61M 5-Day Opening

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, AniNate said:

The only real point I was trying to make was that gladiator's audiences wasn't necessarily limited to old white people. I don't know if there will be a consensus meme label for it, just that they could both still benefit from double feature viewings if reviews are there.

Sure, that’s a possibility. It’s also possible that it doesn’t happen, at least not enough to have any meaningful impact. Disagreeing with that doesn’t mean people “have it out” for a film, it just means they disagree with you. Not like you’re the first person who thought of that or I’m the first person who disagreed.

Edited by Speedorito

20 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Beverly Hills Cop 4 came out on Netflix this weekend. Should it have gotten a theatrical release? Not necessarily on this weekend. The original BHC was actually a bigger hit than the original Top Gun but unlike that movie, already had sequels.

MV5BMDVhYWNkNTUtZWVjMC00Y2M1LWEzNmItZjFi

Considering the adjusted gross of the original, yes. I felt the same way with the Road House remake. I feel there was enough interest in Mcgreggors debut to give that movie a profitable run. Now both are joining a long list of movies that are forgotten a week after release 

12 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Sure, that’s a possibility. It’s also possible that it doesn’t happen, at least not enough to have any meaningful impact. Disagreeing with that doesn’t mean people “have it out” for a film, it just means they disagree with you. Not like you’re the first person who thought of that or I’m the first person who disagreed.

That wasn't what you disagreed with though, you harped on the "cringey meme" part which gave me the sense you were just looking for a weak point in my post to pick apart. And given how much negative energy you have devoted to this one specific film I'm frankly not all that convinced by your "I'm actually kinda looking forward to it" defense. You really do not have to pick a fight with every little positive post about the movie, especially since it's not even on topic for this thread. You said you were gonna stop talking about it so please for the love of God actually do so.

If we're still talking about Gladiator 2, I am just going to say I got bad vibes from it. $100m Dom could be doable though, considering what Napoleon did ($60m Dom)

57 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

The problem with Wickiator or Gladicked or whatever people call it is that it feels forced and inauthentic. I’ve already seen plenty of people reject it. When the trades and pundits were already pushing it mere hours after Wicked moved, and even as they reported that it moved, it came across as sad and desperate. (Was Barbenheimer really organic? Probably not entirely, but people felt like it was).

For me, when Jon M. Chu embraced it, it felt like when Hilary Clinton brought the whole “Margot Robbie was robbed at the Oscars” discourse to a screeching halt when she weighed in.

Plus there’s the very real possibility that Wicked is no Barbie and Gladiator II is no Oppenheimer.

Barbieheimer was organic because from the start of the year, they were clearly the only 2 interesting movies of the sunmer for adults and they both happened to be released on the same day. 

To me, wicked and gladiator can both be a success but unlike Barbieheimer, it will be the R rated film that wins the weekend. Theres far more interest in it. Obviously this could change with a terrible trailer and bad reviews but I'm going out on a limb and predicting a good movie.

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

That wasn't what you disagreed with though, you harped on the "cringey meme" part which gave me the sense you were just looking for a weak point in my post to pick apart. And given how much negative energy you have devoted to this one specific film I'm frankly not all that convinced by your "I'm actually kinda looking forward to it" defense. You really do not have to pick a fight with every little positive post about the movie, especially since it's not even on topic for this thread. You said you were gonna stop talking about it so please for the love of God actually do so.

Yes, I was talking about Gladiator II and Wicked together, not Gladiator II itself. I disagreed with you for the same reasons others disagreed and you didn’t that like that. That’s all. You have to anticipate some pushback when you put ideas out. I didn’t even bring up Wicked or Gladiator but I’m allowed to talk about it.

And I am looking forward to it if Scott pulls it off, I just don’t think he will based on his track record. I like Gladiator, I like Paul Mescal, Pedro Pascal, Denzel Washington, and Joseph Quinn. That doesn’t automatically mean I have to believe a film will make a ton of money out will be good. I don’t see why you have a problem with that when others agree with me and it’s totally normal for people not to high on every film. People were looking forward to Furiosa but didn’t think it would do well, people were looking forward to Inside Out 2 and didn’t think it would do well (even less that The Little Mermaid), etc

Anyway I’ll just end it with this:

18 minutes ago, cannastop said:

If we're still talking about Gladiator 2, I am just going to say I got bad vibes from it. $100m Dom could be doable though, considering what Napoleon did ($60m Dom)

Careful. You don’t think it’s going to be the best film ever and make 2 billion dollars, so you’re starting to sound like you “have it out for the film”

• Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Yes, I was talking about Gladiator II and Wicked together, not Gladiator II itself. I disagreed with you for the same reasons others disagreed and you didn’t that like that. That’s all. You have to anticipate some pushback when you put ideas out. I didn’t even bring up Wicked or Gladiator but I’m allowed to talk about it.

And I am looking forward to it if Scott pulls it off, I just don’t think he will based on his track record. I like Gladiator, I like Paul Mescal, Pedro Pascal, Denzel Washington, and Joseph Quinn. That doesn’t automatically mean I have to believe a film will make a ton of money out will be good. I don’t see why you have a problem with that when others agree with me and it’s totally normal for people not to high on every film. People were looking forward to Furiosa but didn’t think it would do well, people were looking forward to Inside Out 2 and didn’t think it would do well (even less that The Little Mermaid), etc

Anyway I’ll just end it with this:

I must say, Furiosa and gladiator 2 aren't even close to be the same thing. Fury Road was loved by a small minority, it didnt have anywhere near the lasting impact and commercial success of gladiator and they didn't even give audiences the Mad Max sequel the few of them actually wanted. It was a case of the studio hugely misjudging the general audience based off online conversations

Just now, Jaxon5 said:

I must say, Furiosa and gladiator 2 aren't even close to be the same thing. Fury Road was loved by a small minority, it didnt have anywhere near the lasting impact and commercial success of gladiator and they didn't even give audiences the Mad Max sequel the few of them actually wanted. It was a case of the studio hugely misjudging the general audience based off online conversations

I like how Fury Road went from “it didn’t break even but it made an incredible amount of money in post-theatrical” to “Fury Road was a niche indie film that no one has ever heard of and that’s why Furiosa bombed”

It made 400M back in 2015. It wasn’t Fast and Furious but that’s not some tiny audience. The complete 180 surrounding the film from people online after Furiosa bombed is kinda funny.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I like how Fury Road went from “it didn’t break even but it made an incredible amount of money in post-theatrical” to “Fury Road was a niche indie film that no one has ever heard of and that’s why Furiosa bombed”

It made 400M back in 2015. It wasn’t Fast and Furious but that’s not some tiny audience. The complete 180 surrounding the film from people online after Furiosa bombed is kinda funny.

Yes and gladiator made 460m dollar 15 years prior with no 3d and a multiplier near 6. I must be onto something or Furiosa wouldn't have made less than the Mean girls musical remake. Numbers don't lie.

I'm not doing a 180 as I always believed Fury Road was massively overrated by cinephiles and the recent flop only confirmed it.

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

Longlegs is actually selling pretty well near me. Given that Neon's only $20M+ grossers are Parasite and I Tonya, entering the top 3 would be a pretty huge achievement for them.

It would be a great achievement for Neon. But with those trailers and those reviews, I’m hoping this could be a breakout

1 hour ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

I don’t think anything was pointing to a 30m 2nd weekend for A Quiet Place tbh. Even that highest prediction I saw was in the mid 20s range.

I know. It was totally my own optimism.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

At this point, can we just say that Mad Max: Fury Road was an anomaly in and of itself. On paper, it shouldn't have been a film that would break even in theaters and find even more life in post-theatrical. Let alone be so good that it convinced an entire studio to greenlight a prequel to it.

Thankfully it happened, but it's obvious that even general audiences who saw Fury Road in 2015 didn't give a single crap about a Furiosa prequel. 

Also, a movie that makes $45M on its opening weekend should never be considered an indie film. If there's anyone out there who actually said something like that, they literally have no idea how the box office or just movies in general work. 

Edited by Ryan C

5 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

Yes and gladiator made 460m dollar 15 years prior with no 3d and a multiplier near 6. I must be onto something or Furiosa wouldn't have made less than the Mean girls musical remake. Numbers don't lie.

I'm not doing a 180 as I always believed Fury Road was massively overrated by cinephiles and the recent flop only confirmed it.

I wasn’t even really trying to draw a direct parallel between Gladiator and Furiosa (though they do have similarities). My point was that looking forward to a film doesn’t mean you believe it’ll make a ton of money at the box office.

Also just because a film was big decades ago doesn’t mean the sequel/prequel will be big either. We’ve seen that with Independence Day Resurgence and we’ll see it again in two weeks with Twisters.

The Mean Girls musical also made 104M while Furiosa made 172M. No idea where you got your numbers from.

13 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

While is true that Fury Road was hardly a niche movie doing ~400M in 2015 with IMAX and 3D, it’s also very far from a movie that made nearly 500M back in 2000 

They’re just not comparable at all

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Also, a movie that makes $45M on its opening weekend should never be considered an indie film. If there's anyone out there who actually said something like that, they literally have no idea how the box office or just movies in general work. 

Fury Road was the 21st highest grossing film of 2015. It made more than The Good Dinosaur, The Maze Runner, and Pitch Perfect 2. Now it’s a film only “a small minority” have heard of.

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

While is true that Fury Road was hardly a niche movie doing ~400M in 2015 with IMAX and 3D, it’s also very far from a movie that made nearly 500M back in 2000 

They’re just not comparable at all

And like I said, I wasn’t drawing a direct parallel between the films. Why do people think I brought up Inside Out 2 as well?

8 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I wasn’t even really trying to draw a direct parallel between Gladiator and Furiosa (though they do have similarities). My point was that looking forward to a film doesn’t mean you believe it’ll make a ton of money at the box office.

Also just because a film was big decades ago doesn’t mean the sequel/prequel will be big either. We’ve seen that with Independence Day Resurgence and we’ll see it again in two weeks with Twisters.

The Mean Girls musical also made 104M while Furiosa made 172M. No idea where you got your numbers from.

Domestic is where im getting my numbers from. Yes it could pull a Resurgence but I think we can all agree Emmerich never made a good film after ID4 whereas Scott is still a respected filmmaker capable of a banger. The cast is also convincing me that it wont be some disaster either whereas Liam Hemsworth replacing Smith just never inspired me with much confidence. Just having Denzel alone insured an opening over 30m. Im going all out predicting a 100m opening though and will happily be embarassed if I'm well off

• Like 1