kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

Very conflicting feelings re Twisters. Great that it seems to be overperforming expectations domestically but it's doing awful everywhere else. I guess it's a good thing the budget apparently wasn't as big as was previously reported.

Just now, AniNate said:

Very conflicting feelings re Twisters. Great that it seems to be overperforming expectations domestically but it's doing awful everywhere else. I guess it's a good thing the budget apparently wasn't as big as was previously reported.

yeah I think it will do 200 domestically easily 

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

yeah this might be the biggest domestic/international split in a while. Wonder if international trailers focused too much on the “country” aspect and not the disaster element 

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Between this and the recent Ghostbusters movies being nonstarters overseas, I'd say its more a limit on 80s/90s IP that have been inactive for decades. I would expect Beetlejuice Beetlejuice to be very domestic heavy as well.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Between this and the recent Ghostbusters movies being nonstarters overseas, I'd say its more a limit on 80s/90s IP that have been inactive for decades. I would expect Beetlejuice Beetlejuice to be very domestic heavy as well.

disaster movies tend to do do better overseas than domestic so this is a weird anomaly 

Just now, filmlover said:

I mean I guess? But Twister was a big hit OS back in the day. At 254M, it was only behind Independence Day and Mission: Impossible for movies that year. And like obviously Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt are great, they weren't Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson-level movie stars that sold the film on their presence.

Just seems weird to me that tornadoes would be totally cool and exciting outside of America back in 1996, but then only appeal to Americans in 2024. Maybe the country music is to blame here? Or maybe WB just didn't know what they were doing?

• Like 1

I imagine the novelty hook isn't there anymore and there's no "relatability" hook like there is in the NA heartland

The disaster movies that do big business overseas usually hook people with images of famous distinctive city landmarks getting destroyed (even Inception kinda leaned into that with the scene of Paris getting bent). You don't really have that with Twister(s) where most of the action takes place in empty grasslands

Edited by AniNate

Regardless of how it does overseas, I'm just glad that Twisters isn't underperforming like other wild cards like Furiosa did. Next weekend's drop won't be pretty obviously due to the fact it's being forced out of the bigger auditoriums, but luckily after that it has a pretty clear runway until September in terms of direct competition with the closest to such being Borderlands (which looks like an inevitable flop) and Alien (which is rated R) so it should be fine after that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I imagine the novelty hook isn't there anymore and there's no "relatability" hook like there is in the NA heartland

The disaster movies that do big business overseas usually hook people with images of famous distinctive city landmarks getting destroyed (even Inception kinda leaned into that with the scene of Paris getting bent). You don't really have that with Twister(s) where most of the action takes place in empty grasslands

I agree this is a film that appeals to the american heartland where Twister is seen as a classic

Simple as that. 

I guess the overseas theatrical market isn't as fragile as domestic right now, and Uni has Minions money to dry their tears so they're probably not sweating it.

Does look like another promotional misfire for Warner though, but honestly anything that helps get Zaslav out faster is probably a net positive.

Just noticed how light the studio slates are once the summer is over. Universal only has three remaining movies for the rest of the year after this weekend is over (Speak No Evil, The Wild Robot, Wicked) while WB has 4 (Trap, Beetlejuice, Joker, the animated Lord of the Rings movie) left in the can, possibly 5 since Eastwood's Juror No. 2 is likely ready. Definitely seeing the effects of last year's double strikes right there.

10 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Light but a lot of individual heavy hitters. Uni also filling in the gaps with Focus label awards bait.

Yeah, but even from what I saw, they only have two Focus releases for the remainder of the year that are going wide. The Pharrell Williams biopic, Piece by Piece, and Robert Eggers' Nosferatu. Outside of those and the last three Universal releases (Speak No Evil, The Wild Robot, and Wicked), they don't have much else that's really noteworthy until 2025.

The end of year slate isn't really complete until post-TIFF. Lots of stuff is still yet to be acquired, dated and delayed depending on how it plays.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, AniNate said:

yeah they probably should have at least had a scene (maybe there is one, haven’t seen it yet) of tornados ravaging a bunch of evacuated buildings to appeal more to disaster fans