kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

2 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Deadpool & Wolverine has been a true event movie domestically imho

DS2 could've been a true event movie if reception was good. 

DPW has sales below DS2 mostly but now it's gonna beat it by 50% DOM, that's the difference between an A and a B+

Something needs to be said about how the ‘insider’ grift played a major role setting people up for misguided expectations with Multiverse of Madness.

I’m more harsh on Multiverse of Madness than most people, I like to call it the biggest B movie of all time, but that’s in my opinion the most Sam Raimi film we got since literally Dark Man. The crazy rumors with people using fucking blurry Marvel’s Avengers game screenshots as proof that Tom Cruise was playing Superior Iron Man in that film still pisses me off how gullible and how dumb the social media discourse has become when it comes to non sense fake film rumors. 

Even with all its flaws, Doctor Strange came at a time when Marvel Studios weren’t as bullish with rumor mongers. Now Marvel isn’t fucking around AND that they are all grifters it’s known.  

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Something needs to be said about how the ‘insider’ grift played a major role setting people up for misguided expectations with Multiverse of Madness.

Nah the movie just wasn’t good.

• Like 7

If it does $28M FRI, here is the potential second weekend using the Second Weekend/Friday multiplier of other summer MCU movies

Ant-Man 1: $96.17M

Ant-Man 2: $96.64M

Thor 4: $94.75M

GOTG 1: $95.81M

Edited by HummingLemon496

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

??? He hasn’t had a single success outside of Deadpool lol. And his career as a producer is non-existent.

Damn, I wish I was as unsuccessful as he was.

Also, Maximum Effort is his production company.

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

If it was good it would've made $600M+ DOM and $1.35B+ WW without China

Those numbers are high but the hype was absolutely massive

2 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I still think it’s the best Sam Raimi film since Dark Man. It’s flawed, but an interesting PG-13 horror romp in the MCU. Flawed, sure, but I wouldn’t call it a bad film. It’s a Sam Raimi’s joint through and through. 

17 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

??? He hasn’t had a single success outside of Deadpool lol. And his career as a producer is non-existent.

Free Guy was a success and that movie wasn't based on an IP. It was almost purely relying on his star power/charisma to carry it. 

• Like 1

They absolutely fumbled Wanda who was the biggest draw of the movie. Chavez wasn’t handled great either, nor was the multiverse. Fake cameo rumors didn’t help but it could have gotten an A anyway with a strong script

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

It was also badly marketed. It's called Multiverse of Madness, yet there's hardly any multiversal adventure. And don't they only visit one parallel Earth?

Across the Spider-Verse is the true Multiverse of Madness

Actually, no scratch that. Beyond the Spider-Verse will be the true Multiverse of Madness.

Just now, Cooper Legion said:

They absolutely fumbled Wanda who was the biggest draw of the movie. Chavez wasn’t handled great either, nor was the multiverse. Fake cameo rumors didn’t help but it could have gotten an A anyway with a strong script

Then how did No way Home get an A+?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

If it was good it would've made $600M+ DOM and $1.35B+ WW without China

Those numbers are high but the hype was absolutely massive

I think this is another stance that it’s harmful to the film industry and movie theaters to a larger extent. It’s about insane expectations and moving goal posts. It’s a Doctor Strange sequel that made more money than a Batman reboot, advanced the MCU further and it has a 74% RT critics score and a 85% audience score.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/doctor_strange_in_the_multiverse_of_madness

I’m more harsh on this film than most, but it made a shit load of money during a time that the movie theaters were still very much in recovery of the COVID years. It is a good film and it was definitely well received by any metric that you could possibly use data with. Insane expectations to the MCU lead to harmful rhetoric that keep people at home watching their Netflix slob. We want people at the movie theaters, not watching whatever Netflix and the other streaming platforms feed them. The very discourse that cinema is dying is part of the competition that movie theaters face, because the truth is tech companies are competing with movie theaters not for our money, but for our time, which has become the most valuable currency there is.

• Like 2

Just now, Cooper Legion said:

Same beats, better script? Still a B+. I didn't want Strange and Chavez vs. Wanda. I wanted A Multiversal chase after Baron Mordo!

I watched Madvocate's video criticizing No Way Home and honestly I can't think of a counter to any of his critiques. Madvocate is really good at analyzing scripts and he's one of the most knowledgeable people in the EFAP group. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I watched Madvocate's video criticizing No Way Home and honestly I can't think of a counter to any of his critiques. Madvocate is really good at analyzing scripts and he's one of the most knowledgeable people in the EFAP group. 

If madvocate said so I’m not sure why are we even discussing. I’ve seen the errors of my ways now. :sadfleck:

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Then how did No way Home get an A+?

T&A of course

plus it did actually deliver on the other nostalgia appearances people wanted with the villains and gave them decent arcs