kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

7 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

So it will end up 393-398 million domestic overall by Monday when the weekend actual numbers are out?

It could reach 400 million domestic by Sunday or Monday depending on the 2nd weekend.

Edited by Migs20242

1 minute ago, Migs20242 said:

So it will end up 393-398 million domestic overall by Monday when the weekend actual numbers are out?

It could reach 400 million domestic by Sunday or Monday depending on the 2nd weekend.

I know what I have to do but I don't know if I have the strength to do it. . .

Are you u/Old-Score-3295 on Reddit?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Migs20242 said:

Two things

1. I'll let you be the first one to post the tweets from now on. The worse is that they come in by a few more seconds, but I just get so excited when I see them posted that I feel the need to put them on here as fast as possible. 

2. The fact that this has a legitimate chance to hit $100M for its entire second weekend is astounding. Looks like Inside Out 2's fate as the highest-grossing film of 2024 domestically might not be entirely sealed yet. 

Also, if D&W manages to hit $29M on Friday and have the same IM as Ant-Man and the Wasp, then it'll just barely hit $100M for the weekend. Out of all the MCU movies released in July, Ant-Man and the Wasp had the biggest second weekend IM out of all them, so that's the only way it can get to the century mark this weekend. That, or Saturday just goes crazier than expected. 

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 1

Top Opening Grosses after 7 Days in Release

Avengers: Endgame - $473,894,638

Star Wars 7 - $390,856,054

Spider-Man: No Way Home - $385,865,477

Avengers: Infinity War - $338,332,540

Deadpool & Wolverine - $298,575,919

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

Here's something interesting worth bringing up.

If these numbers for Deadpool and Wolverine stick, then the chances of it being #1 next weekend are still very likely. 

It Ends with Us will definitely go crazy next weekend (I can't believe $50M is possible for that one), but I do see that being a lot more frontloaded and I don't think that film's target demo are the ones who are showing up in droves for Deadpool and Wolverine. Especially if this movie is holding that well this weekend, I can only imagine how well it can possibly hold next weekend. 

The only thing that sucks is that Borderlands will take away some of the PLFs from D&W, though I did see at least near me that Deadpool and Wolverine will still be playing in the prominent PLFs like IMAX and Dolby. You can tell how much theater owners/exhibitors don't want to show Borderlands in those PLFs because they know where they will be making their money with.

Outside of that, it's a likely threepeat for the Merc with a Mouth and Wolverine until Alien: Romulus. 

How funny is it that people were declaring 2024 to be a terrible year at the box office because of the impact of the strikes and yet we may have two movies (and released by Disney no less) that will or might outgross the entire domestic run of Barbie ($636.2M) from last year.

I'm not saying these two movies singlehandedly saved what was a bad start to the year and a terrible May, but I just want that to sink in. Insane!

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

How funny is it that people were declaring 2024 to be a terrible year at the box office because of the impact of the strikes and yet we may have two movies (and released by Disney no less) that will or might outgross the entire domestic run of Barbie ($636.2M) from last year.

I'm not saying these two movies singlehandedly saved what was a bad start to the year and a terrible May, but I just want that to sink in. Insane!

Yeah as one of those ragging on the year earlier, Jan-may were indeed BLEAK but IO2+DPW doing like 1.3 DOM when it could conceivably have been like 750 is a pretty real boon

• Like 4

Deadpool is demolishing DS2, just look at this lmao: DPW % of DS2

Friday - 106%

Saturday - 107%

Sunday - 138%

Monday - 179%

Tuesday - 201%

Wednesday - 212%

Thursday - 223%

Friday - ~ 169%

Second weekend will be ~164% of DS2 second weekend

Weekend box office predictions for number one spot in August-September

August 2-4: Deadpool & Wolverine

August 9-11: Deadpool & Wolverine

August 16-18: Alien: Romulus

August 23-25: Alien: Romulus

August 30-September 1: Alien: Romulus

September 6-8: Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

September 13-15: Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

September 20-22: Transformers One

September 27-29: The Wild Robot before Joker 2 comes

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Two things

1. I'll let you be the first one to post the tweets from now on. The worse is that they come in by a few more seconds, but I just get so excited when I see them posted that I feel the need to put them on here as fast as possible. 

2. The fact that this has a legitimate chance to hit $100M for its entire second weekend is astounding. Looks like Inside Out 2's fate as the highest-grossing film of 2024 domestically might not be entirely sealed yet. 

Also, if D&W manages to hit $29M on Friday and have the same IM as Ant-Man and the Wasp, then it'll just barely hit $100M for the weekend. Out of all the MCU movies released in July, Ant-Man and the Wasp had the biggest second weekend IM out of all them, so that's the only way it can get to the century mark this weekend. That, or Saturday just goes crazier than expected. 

My God, imagine what MoM would have done with positive WOM and if it delivered on those cameos. $1.5B+?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

Yeah as one of those ragging on the year earlier, Jan-may were indeed BLEAK but IO2+DPW doing like 1.3 DOM when it could conceivably have been like 750 is a pretty real boon

Unrelated, but in 2017 you could've reasonably convinced someone that BP + IW would add up to 600M DOM but then they ended up doing almost 1.4B DOM combined. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

My God, imagine what MoM would have done with positive WOM and if it delivered on those cameos. $1.5B+?

Guesstimate without China/Russia. . .probably 220/600/770/1370

~250M from China + Russia and yeah we would have a Doctor Strange movie above 1.6B globally

1 minute ago, Cooper Legion said:

Personally, what impresses me the most is the winning streak we've been on this summer ever since Bad Boys: Ride or Die opened up. 

We've definitely had misses (The Bikeriders, Horizon, etc.), but the hits we've had have been genuinely impressive and made up for any potential slump we could've been in. 

A lot of people said that Deadpool and Wolverine would be the savior of the summer box office, but when Twisters opens to over 80M the previous weekend, it practically didn't matter. D&W opening to $211.4M almost feels like a reward for all the other films (Inside Out 2, A Quiet Place: Day One, Despicable Me 4, Longlegs, etc.) overperforming or just meeting the expectations that they needed to met. 

As much as I hate that there's nothing these last two weeks of summer that could continue this amazing hot streak, I'm definitely encouraged by how strong these past two months have been as this bodes very well for the Fall season. 

This kind of winning streak is why I love the box office. Regardless of what kind of movie is making money, this is just a reminder of how strong the theatrical experience is and that no matter how many $200M movies Netflix puts on their streaming service, watching them at home will never be like going to the movie theater and watching something as fun as Deadpool and Wolverine with a packed audience. 

4 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Honestly, even though that movie made a lot of money and is still impressive looking at what it did considering it was a Doctor Strange sequel, it's kind of embarassing now comparing it to Deadpool and Wolverine's numbers right now. 

The fact that Multiverse of Madness fell 67% in its second weekend despite releasing in May (not as frontloaded a month as July) and had literally no competition in its second frame shows you just how mixed at best the word-of-mouth was for that film. 

It may have been an event the first weekend, but it wasn't the case after that. In Deadpool and Wolverine's case, it's gonna remain an event until it's box office run is over. That's why we are even discussing the possibility of it matching or exceeding what Inside Out 2 will do domestically to become the biggest film of the year.