kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers [Aug 05 - Aug 08, 2024] | Wednesday | 9.87M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 2.64M TWISTERS | 1.83M DESPICABLE ME IV

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

How do you watched No Way Home and conclude it looks even vaguely similar to Across The Spider Verse?

Visually, they hint at very similar imagery, also they explore very themes about choice: free will / determinism, nexus / canon events, etc.. I’d dare to say that the multiverse saga has been hinted at as early as Into the Spider-Verse and Deadpool 2’s ending. You might not like it, think it taints Spider-Verse or whatever, but it’s there. Avengers: Secret Wars is about celebrating almost 30 years of Marvel cinematic history. I think that the Spider-Verse films being part of that makes a lot of sense. I love Spider-Man: No Way Home and Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, both succeed as one of the best entries of Spider-Man in the big screen. You might dislike No Way Home, but it is revisionist history non sense that that film isn’t beloved, when you see what themes they are playing with there, and how much of the visual similar cues are similar from NWH to ATSV and Loki and MoM, I fail to see how anyone could think they aren’t connected. It might never come to fruition that Spider-Verse and Avengers: Secret Wars connects, it might never happen. But as far as I’m concerned, the visual cues are there:

19 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I know it share some design choices, is quite hard to not share with this high concept even in other studios. But the execution is radically different to a point that i just can’t see how they’re visually similar as movies 

Across is a stunning movie, No Way Home is extremely ugly. 

Anyway, let’s hope Venom, Morbius, Kraven and Madame Web is on Secret Wars as well then since they’re also part of Marvel cinematic history. That would be funny.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I know it share some design choices, is quite hard to not share with this high concept even in other studios. But the execution is radically different to a point that i just can’t see how they’re visually similar as movies 

Anyway, let’s hope Venom, Morbius, Kraven and Madame Web is on Secret Wars as well then since they’re also part of Marvel cinematic history. That would be funny.

To be fair, No Way Home was shot and filmed during the heat of the COVID-19 pandemic. The fact that movie honestly even was able to exist and be the way it is despite being made in a very complicated time is kind of a miracle. 

Personally though, as gorgeous as Across the Spider-Verse looks (every frame of that movie is a literal painting), No Way Home is saved because of its script, performances, and characters, which I think are much more important (especially in a MCU movie) than the visuals. 

It's just me, but I feel like comparing both of these movies is a bit unfair. No Way Home didn't have to juggle a bunch of different animation styles or make hundreds and hundreds of different Spider-People. Of course NWH wasn't gonna look as good or as interesting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think Spider-Man: No Way Home is the best Spider-Man film of all. Topping even the Spider-Verse films, and I’m hardly alone on that sentiment. Both films are visually stunning, and pitting them against each other is something I see people doing so more from the sense that they are sticking to Marvel Studios or something more than anything else. It’s petty non sense. Spider-Man: No Way Home successfully finished a Spider-Man trilogy and at same time celebrated twenty years of Spider-Man on film, Across the Spider-Verse and Into Spider-Verse are two of the best animated films ever made. 

All of those are multiverse films when the MCU is deeply into a storyline about a multiversal war and characters messing with timelines leading to incursions that lead to Avengers: Secret Wars. As for Venom, Morbius, Kraven and Madame Web: I could see it happening, even if at a portal moment kind of deal. I don’t see these films as competing with each other, all of them enrich the major storyline that Marvel is going for right now.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Agreed, and also Endgame is ugly imo

Age of Ultron on the other hand looks great

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

2 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Why does the school thing not matter? No school --> no need to waste 8 hours a weekday learning useless shit --> more free time --> more time to watch movies. Yeah I guess you can say it just shifts those watches to the weekends but during summer vacation weekdays + weekends are free whereas during school it's just weekends 

You don’t have to try to reason about why it doesn’t matter much. I don’t know why and I don’t care why. Important thing is simply whether it does or whether it does not looking at numbers. And there isn’t really anything in relative late legs of movies depending on release date to suggest that this is a factor worth thinking about. Maybe it affects like 1%, 2% something like that but reception and competition play a far larger role

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

You don’t have to try to reason about why it doesn’t matter much. I don’t know why and I don’t care why. Important thing is simply whether it does or whether it does not looking at numbers. And there isn’t really anything in relative late legs of movies depending on release date to suggest that this is a factor worth thinking about. Maybe it affects like 1%, 2% something like that but reception and competition play a far larger role

2% can be the difference between doing 665 and crossing Infinity War domestically ;)

VOD didn't impact Elemental much or really many movies. I'm just surprised it's coming then, I thought they said 100 days before digital so that it'd land in September. Or did they mean 100 days before streaming? 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wattage said:

VOD didn't impact Elemental much or really many movies. I'm just surprised it's coming then, I thought they said 100 days before digital so that it'd land in September. Or did they mean 100 days before streaming? 

Think it was streaming they meant. DM4 is on VOD now and didn't seem to affect Tuesday that much so IO2 will roll on as normal.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

This might sound dumb especially since the movie has already made all the money in the world right now, but I'm really disappointed that Disney is not gonna keep Inside Out 2 exclusively in theaters for 100 days or even until after Labor Day weekend. 

I know this release won't affect the movie's box office run, but it just bothers me. With a movie like this (that became a literal phenomenon), it should have 75 or more days excluisively in theaters. 

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Both films are visually stunning, and pitting them against each other is something I see people doing so more from the sense that they are sticking to Marvel Studios or something more than anything else. It’s petty non sense.

Spoiler

At least personally, not really. Plenty MCU movies looks good to me … including recent ones like Eternals (don’t love the dark color grading but the lightning and composition overall is pretty gorgeous overall). Also really loved MOM and it’s cartoonish vibrant aesthetic that is so effortlessly cool to me. Guardians 3 is very tactile in an interesting way as well.

It’s just that many of these movies are produced so quickly, and a lot of the shooting is made under very uncertain circumstances, which leads to a huge part of basic elements of filmmaking being decided on post. NWH is one of the strongest cases for this: very late shooting, lots of last minute changes, an abnormal use of green screen because they didn’t had time to properly reshoot scenes, which also make the post a delayed mess. They weren’t fully sure if they could deliver the movie like 6 weeks before release. 

I’m happy that you have such a good time with it, but for me it’s more of a technical issue, not a petty one. The movie just looks unpolished to me in many crucial scenes. Same goes for Thor 4 etc.

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Agreed, and also Endgame is ugly imo

Age of Ultron on the other hand looks great

That climax is so well done but it’s insane how grey and empty the whole set was. It just screamed rush production, and it’s not aging very good when you put a 4K in front of your eyes. Great movie tho.

Yes the first two looks really good as a whole.

Surprised Disney didn’t hold IO2 digital release to go against Transformers and The Wild Robot. 

It’ll be fine tho. I feel PVOD is a better options mostly for very large families, it’s less expensive.

But for smaller families it probably doesn’t change much watching at home or in theater, that’s why it never seems to kill the movies box office wise.

17 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

That climax is so well done but it’s insane how grey and empty the whole set was. It just screamed rush production, and it’s not aging very good when you put a 4K in front of your eyes. Great movie tho.

Yes the first two looks really good as a whole.

The phase 1 movies all look really good. 

This, right here (the Iron Man 1 suit up scene), for example is absolutely fantastic. It feels so real and satisfying, unlike now when all the suits are CGI/nanotech.

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Surprised Disney didn’t hold IO2 digital release to go against Transformers and The Wild Robot. 

It’ll be fine tho. I feel PVOD is a better options mostly for very large families, it’s less expensive.

But for smaller families it probably doesn’t change much watching at home or in theater, that’s why it never seems to kill the movies box office wise.

Waiting for Disney+ would be a better decision for families, which costs $8 vs PVOD which is $25-$30. Don't see any reason to buy PVOD when D+ is so much cheaper.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:
  Hide contents

At least personally, not really. Plenty MCU movies looks good to me … including recent ones like Eternals (don’t love the dark color grading but the lightning and composition overall is pretty gorgeous overall). Also really loved MOM and it’s cartoonish vibrant aesthetic that is so effortlessly cool to me. Guardians 3 is very tactile in an interesting way as well.

It’s just that many of these movies are produced so quickly, and a lot of the shooting is made under very uncertain circumstances, which leads to a huge part of basic elements of filmmaking being decided on post. NWH is one of the strongest cases for this: very late shooting, lots of last minute changes, an abnormal use of green screen because they didn’t had time to properly reshoot scenes, which also make the post a delayed mess. They weren’t fully sure if they could deliver the movie like 6 weeks before release. 

I’m happy that you have such a good time with it, but for me it’s more of a technical issue, not a petty one. The movie just looks unpolished to me in many crucial scenes. Same goes for Thor 4 etc.

I strongly disagree with takes like this. Mauro Fiore is a seasoned director of photography, which at same time worked on Avatar (acruelly won the Oscar for that one) and Spider-Man: No Way Home, was brought to try and salvage Madame Web. With that said, please understand how incredibly predictable, stereotypical and and boring the type of criticism these films get when it comes from Marvel Studios. As far as I’m concerned, No Way Home is a much more visually stunning film than The Batman for example, and before The Batman I vividly remember people trashing the shit out of the photography of Rogue One and The Mandalorian, despite the fact that Greig Fraser is the DoP on all of these projects. Not even mentioning Dune 2.

You can’t really tell me that this looks bad and ugly. It does not.

Edited by ZattMurdock