filmpalace

Weekend Thread | October 11 - 13

There's stuff that's aggressively marketed that doesn't catch on of course but it's not an understatement to say that HP was given the space to dominate the cultural landscape specifically because of the marketing behind it. We talk about how marketing is important all the time, hits very rarely spring up out of nowhere and it is a concerted effort by the company's invested in them to make sure as many people see it as possible. They saw something in HP they thought would take off and put their power behind it and it paid off for them. 

I do wish we'd move on largely because of Rowling herself but also I wish people my age and just in general would find new things to enjoy. There's a joy to keeping things you enjoyed as a child but it very often turns into refusing to actually engage with new things at all. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Make it global, please.

Agreed. The more, the better. I wish the re-releases we got this year, had OS to boost up their lifetime grosses. Films like the Spider-Man movies, the LOTR-trilogy and especially The Lion King should have gotten the overseas cash as well. But unfortunately they didn’t. 👩🏻‍💼🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

Re-releases have been getting pretty big this decade, there was a period in the 10s where they weren't doing much of anything at all compared to past historic re-releases. I can see more and more global re-releases coming in the next few years, especially during down periods in the box office. 

29 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Because i’m queer and studios keep throwing money and power at JK hands. Money and power that she’s using to promote the end of our human rights. She’s getting close to politics recently, studies are showing that violence against queer people in UK more than double since JK started her diabolical hate rants.

I don’t think HP is bad artistically, i like quite a few movies, and i certainly don’t think people who likes it are evil beings like the writer. I’m fine with people personal taste.

My issue is with the industry that keeps promoting her and supporting her. That HBO show shouldn’t happen for example imo. It would be simply nice if the world just doesn’t care about new things out of the franchise, but i know it won’t happen. 

Anyway it was just a brief wishful thinking, i didn’t think it would make some users angry (apparently based on reactions).

Considering what JK Rowling says to be "diabolical hate rants" where she's trying to promote the end of anyone human rights is certainly an opinion that many people have embraced. I don't see any basis in reality for that, myself, and going as far as calling her an "evil being" seems quite overly dramatic. I mean, disagreeing with her views is one thing, but people who paint her as some would-be murderer who's trying her best to wipe out a specific group of people are a little hard to take seriously. ;)

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 8

30 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Because i’m queer and studios keep throwing money and power at JK hands. Money and power that she’s using to promote the end of our human rights. She’s getting close to politics recently, studies are showing that violence against queer people in UK more than double since JK started her diabolical hate rants.

I don’t think HP is bad artistically, i like quite a few movies, and i certainly don’t think people who likes it are evil beings like the writer. I’m fine with people personal taste.

My issue is with the industry that keeps promoting her and supporting her. That HBO show shouldn’t happen for example imo. It would be simply nice if the world just doesn’t care about new things out of the franchise, but i know it won’t happen. 

Anyway it was just a brief wishful thinking, i didn’t think it would make some users angry (apparently based on reactions).

The hag needs to die, honestly.

Lemme manifest. ❤️

• Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Mandatory said:

Considering what JK Rowling says to be "diabolical hate rants" where she's trying to promote the end of anyone human rights is certainly an opinion that many people have embraced. I don't see any basis in reality for that, myself, and going as far as calling her an "evil being" seems quite overly dramatic. I mean, disagreeing with her views is one thing, but people who paint her as some would-be murderer who's trying her best to wipe out a specific group of people are a little hard to take seriously. ;)

Ooh, you're nasty.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mandatory said:

I mean, disagreeing with her views is one thing, but people who paint her as some would-be murderer who's trying her best to wipe out a specific group of people are a little hard to take seriously. ;)

She’s a holocaust deniar, for Christ sake 

Anyway i don’t want to keep discussing this, since i can’t be taken seriously over a fairly respectful opinion.

Have a nice day.

• Like 9
  • Knock It Off 1

JK Rowling's one of the most obnoxious celebrities at this point. She's mad so many people disagreed with her so she turned ignorance into cruelty. She can't make a single comment without it putting down trans people, doesn't matter what it is she's talking about. The only thing she concretely stood for was she was very pro-woman and even that she tossed aside cause she wanted to stick it to her haters.

I still love HP and think both the films and books hold up still today. As much as I hate JK she wrote them well, especially the first few. I'm very suspicious about any new HP content however, because at this point I can't imagine her not trying to push some of her toxic views into it. Being anti-trans is her only personality trait at this point so you KNOW we're going to get a whole subplot about how the marauders map deadnames children or something. 

Edited by Killimano3
  • Like 11
  • Knock It Off 1

45 minutes ago, Mandatory said:

I'm just gonna say that adding a wink at the end of a condescending retort does not lessen a possible offense or make you look "cute". It just makes you look like an asshole.  

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 9
  • Heart 2
  • Knock It Off 1

36 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

She’s a holocaust deniar, for Christ sake 

Anyway i don’t want to keep discussing this, since i can’t be taken seriously over a fairly respectful opinion.

Have a nice day.

Some people really like to use words as if they mean what someone feels they should as opposed to what actually mean. She is absolutely not a holocaust denier, which anyone can easily Google for themselves. Just ridiculous. She disputed claims on Twitter that trans people were "the first targets" of Nazis, or that they were somehow specifically targeted over other people on the Nazi murder list, which led to certain people deciding that meant she was some screeching holocaust denier. It's just not at all true to say, and a rather gross thing to try and smear someone with in an effort to make your perspective sound better.

Saying something like that over and over again (to yourself and/or others) doesn't make it true because of feelings, but you also have a nice day!

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

Moderation

@Mandatory if you continue this any further, you will leave me with no other choice but to give you a thread ban.

Likewise, now that we have numbers, we are done with this Rowling talk. We have a JK Rowling thread in the Real World forum if you want to talk about her further.