Grand Cine

Weekdays (14-17th October) - BeetleJuice 2 : 1,27M ; Joker 2 : 930K ; TWR- 3,5M ; Terrifier 3 : 2,5M

24 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Great number for Wild Robot. Just hope we don't have panic tomorrow when it drops big. 1.3-1.5 should be the target (the lower end is more likely based on past precedent.) 

Certain people will start to handwring about it and ignore the obvious regardless of us pointing it out now. Nothing to do about it but mention it now so the more reasonable people will keep it in mind and not worry. 

Edited by wattage
  • Like 1

Starting to look like Joker might even fall behind TFOne this week. I know I’m new, but hell I can’t remember the last time I saw word of mouth so toxic that a movie that earned nearly 40 mil on opening weekend might not even make it past 60.

3 hours ago, wattage said:

Certain people will start to handwring about it and ignore the obvious regardless of us pointing it out now. Nothing to do about it but mention it now so the more reasonable people will keep it in mind and not worry. 

Oh yes, 20 years on these boards and it's almost always the same. 

Theaters are individually making decisions for the weekend and their PLF now.

AMC is doing exactly what I figured they would, except Joker wasn't stripped of all showtimes it has exactly one 10pm IMAX showing every day at a few of the IMAX equipped theaters. Wild Robot primarily has most the showtimes, Beetlejuice has a couple as well at some AMCs but not all. 

Regal decided to give Beetlejuice the most IMAX times, interesting decision there probably shows Wild Robot IMAX performance was stronger at AMC specifically in my area and weaker at Regal so the theaters programed it accordingly. Wild Robot has one or two a day.

Cinemark TBD if it's going all in on Smile 2 and XD screens or splitting the rest with the other films. But Smile has got half the XD allocations at my local as of now. 

Expecting Beetlejuice and The Wild Robot to have softer drops over the weekend. Not hugely different like Wild Robot weekend 2 was, but itll probably be slightly noticable. 

Edited by wattage

Captain Phillips didn't have 4 consecutive sub 30 weekends just putting that here.

Hey @wattage

I said 4 consecutive WEEKS, not weekends, for CP. One of those was helped by Veteran’s Day (preceding weekend was “only” -32.1%) but the overarching premise that even -30% weekly holds wouldn’t be enough for TWR still stands 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, M37 said:

Hey @wattage

I said 4 consecutive WEEKS, not weekends, for CP. One of those was helped by Veteran’s Day (preceding weekend was “only” -32.1%) but the overarching premise that even -30% weekly holds wouldn’t be enough for TWR still stands 

Ah misread that as weekends for sure, definitely my bad! Your basic premise checked out regardless, the math is all right. My main thing I was trying to get at in the comment beyond the incorrect correction was that studio created wide release dead zone makes everything weird. Not just lack of direct competition, but much less theater losses and less showtime loss than you'd normally expect due to the dearth of big wide releases.

That can help and the film veers more towards mid 20s drops for some weeks vs high 20s like CP. Not the staggered high 20s to low 30s drop range I incorrectly said before. Or it can do nothing at all. Or it can do even worse than the best case too due to the exact reason the studios are avoiding those weeks.

I'm trying to take a week to week, approach on it for now and have the best of best cases in mind as what Im hopeful for but still try and keep expectations in line within what's realistic. 

49 minutes ago, WebSurfer said:

Considering Terrifier was having a lot of sellouts and very good walkups that makes it hard to sneak in and have somewhere to sit so i'd agree with him on that. But just because it's not the 90s doesn't mean kids aren't still doing this even with reserved seating. You can sneak into films now with the reserved seating when films arent newer and have less sellouts/near sellouts and less walk-ups. You don't even have to do much work to see what showtimes are available or what screen the showing is on, you can just check the app and sneak in and take the empty seats.

Still, Wild Robot didn't have any particularly weird or abnormal hold. Not sure why they're trying to say it's because of another movie. Wild Robot isn't the only movie in theaters either where kids can do that with, there's lots of PG-13 and below options. 

Edited by wattage

“Two distribution sources noted over the weekend that DreamWorks Animation and Universal’s The Wild Robot saw a noticeable bump, and speculate that teenagers and tweens bought tickets to that film and then snuck into Terrifier 3.”