lab276

The Universal Thread | Dreamworks Animation seeing layoffs, set to outsource their work

Didn't follow Ted as much but when it came out it basically looked like a breakout to me. Everyone was talking about it. Ted was a surprise and it didn't seem to be marketed as heavily. And if it was I didn't notice it. And there always seems to be a surprise breakout comedy.

And Ted was a better movie than BL or SWATH IMO.

And yeah I think the marketing for SWATH was much better.

And yet Ted made more money. So it stands to reason that the marketing really didn't really make the difference in box office totals. Maybe it was just the movies.

And yet Ted made more money. So it stands to reason that the marketing really didn't really make the difference in box office totals. Maybe it was just the movies.

Ted was like last years Bridesmaids to me. Neither was on my radar but when they arrived it just seemed like everyone was talking about them. SWATH was not on my radar and i usually like those type of movies, but the marketing definitely captured my attention. It made me want to watch it. My best friend is not a fan of the genre but I was surprised when she mentioned about wanting to watch it. Legacy was always on my watch list, but the marketing campaign while everywhere (it definitely wasn't for lack of trying) just didnt seem as good. Still got more excited as the movie got closer but it probably wasn't because of marketing.Personal experience isn't the best way to gauge its performance though so...:P. Anyway was just thinking out loud. Probably never know how much marketing affected bo. Could have been the Kristen fans, Hemsworth fans or both plus the marketing.
  • Like 1

Ted was like last years Bridesmaids to me. Neither was on my radar but when they arrived it just seemed like everyone was talking about them. SWATH was not on my radar and i usually like those type of movies, but the marketing definitely captured my attention. It made me want to watch it. My best friend is not a fan of the genre but I was surprised when she mentioned about wanting to watch it. Legacy was always on my watch list, but the marketing campaign while everywhere (it definitely wasn't for lack of trying) just didnt seem as good. Still got more excited as the movie got closer but it probably wasn't because of marketing.Personal experience isn't the best way to gauge its performance though so... :P.Anyway was just thinking out loud. Probably never know how much marketing affected bo. Could have been the Kristen fans, Hemsworth fans or both plus the marketing.

I understand what you mean about the difference in marketing. But I think Universal had the ultimate premise to market with SWATH. There's only so much you can do to market a Bourne movie. But they played on the dark theme, beautiful evil queen, hot strong hero and young sweet cute heroine. Great visuals really helped because the trailers were awesome.

Well they should have another great year next year as wellDM2-At least 200m but probably more like 300m+FF6- At least 200m maybe as high as 250mOblivion-at least 150m if its really good could hit 200m2 guns- at least 125m could hit 150m+ if its marketed wellBreakout comedy- at least 100m could do Ted numbers it its as good and marketed well

Well they should have another great year next year as wellDM2-At least 200m but probably more like 300m+FF6- At least 200m maybe as high as 250mOblivion-at least 150m if its really good could hit 200m2 guns- at least 125m could hit 150m+ if its marketed wellBreakout comedy- at least 100m could do Ted numbers it its as good and marketed well

R.I.P.D., KICK-ASS ll and 47 RONIN could go either way.

Wonder what their November movie will be.

I understand what you mean about the difference in marketing. But I think Universal had the ultimate premise to market with SWATH. There's only so much you can do to market a Bourne movie. But they played on the dark theme, beautiful evil queen, hot strong hero and young sweet cute heroine. Great visuals really helped because the trailers were awesome.

Agreed. :)

Isn't Riddick coming in 2013 as well?

If its lucky it might do 50m can't see it doing more than that.If it does come out in 2013 it will come out after FF6 for sure to boost Diesel's star power.

After FF6 I don't doubt. Pitch Black was good, but Chronicles was a mess IMO. The franchise needs some boost to succeed.Could it be used to fill the November hole Neo mentioned?

Poor Universal. $1.127 billion was their record.

For the movies they release, that's pretty good. They don't have a Pirates of the C, Transformers, Batman or Marvel to help them along. Edited by ECSTASY