diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

41 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Todays KoBiz link https://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/eng/news/boxOffice_Daily.jsp?mode=BOXOFFICE_DAILY&startYMD=20230630&endYMD=20230701&searchFrom=Jun-30-2023&searchTo=Jun-30-2023&category=ALL&country=ALL

The only date that matters in the url is the 2nd one (in this case changing it to July 1). Elemental gained 200 screens today!

To add to this I'm pretty sure it updates on the hour every odd hour (SK local time) after lurking it for most of the day. You have to wait until 25:00 to see final numbers for the day and they tend to change by a few admissions in the hours after.

• Like 5

68K CGV, great start to the day. It's only early afternoon but 300K+ looking good for today for Elemental. Honestly, number could be way higher since mid point should be 1 to 2 PM South Korea time but I want to be conservative.

307,424 needed on Saturday to hit 2M total admissions

Edited by druv10
  • Like 5
  • Heart 1
  • Astonished 2

1 hour ago, druv10 said:

68K CGV, great start to the day. It's only early afternoon but 300K+ looking good for today for Elemental. Honestly, number could be way higher since mid point should be 1 to 2 PM South Korea time but I want to be conservative.

307,424 needed on Saturday to hit 2M total admissions

Going by the last few weeks the mid point has been close to 3:20 pm - presales. So the mid point of walkups is somewhere between 2:50pm and 3:20pm. I don't know the midpoint for the full day though

So let's say it get to 85k by 3.20pm I would calculate 85-46 = 39 Then add maybe 36-37ish on top of the 85 to get 121-122k

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pepsa said:

Going by the last few weeks the mid point has been close to 3:20 pm - presales. So the mid point of walkups is somewhere between 2:50pm and 3:20pm. I don't know the midpoint for the full day though

So let's say it get to 85k by 3.20pm I would calculate 85-46 = 39 Then add maybe 36-37ish on top of the 85 to get 121-122k

3PM update - 211,371 admissions

The day started with 110k which I presume were all presales so if this is just the midpoint then we're on track for 310k+

• Like 1

Business is definitely slowing, to be expected since yesterday was a schoolday so naturally has busier evenings (relatively).

Last 4 bihourly updates:

177K - 1PM

217K (+40K) - 3PM

246K (+29K) - 5PM

262K (+16K) - 7PM

109K CGV - 7:25PM (265-270K admits depending on true ratio)

Probably finishing around 300-310K if I were to guess

27 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Final update before actuals

288,301 - 11PM

CGV 119K (~290K) - 11:25PM

It will continue to trickle, number has been adjusted to 289,701 up +41% from last Saturday and +63% over opening Saturday.

Weekend is up nearly 47% through Saturday over last weekend!!!

Edited by druv10
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, druv10 said:

42K CGV for Sunday down 8.7% from Saturday. Hopefully walkups will be stronger and movie can stay flat from Saturday.

Still a great number in a vacuum, but today might have been elemental's biggest day of its run (watch it surprise us and increase again next weekend lol). I've been wondering though, why is Sunday such a strong day in South Korea that it stays pretty flat with Saturday? In most other markets its drops quite a lot because people have to go to work/school on Monday.

4 minutes ago, druv10 said:

42K CGV for Sunday down 8.7% from Saturday. Hopefully walkups will be stronger and movie can stay flat from Saturday.

Last week was only 1k difference in CGV, it's likely we see the first sunday drop. Anything below a 5% drop would be good though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Still a great number in a vacuum, but today might have been elemental's biggest day of its run (watch it surprise us and increase again next weekend lol). I've been wondering though, why is Sunday such a strong day in South Korea that it stays pretty flat with Saturday? In most other markets its drops quite a lot because people have to go to work/school on Monday.

The evening is also weaker in SK but movies tend to do a bit better during the midday. And that's why animation movies normaly hold quite well on sundays because they are bit more midday / early afternoon based than other movies.

• Like 2