CJohn

Frozen OS thread

I don't buy the idea that a film would do worse just because it's mostly set in winter and released in summer. A strong movie is a strong movie. It hasn't underperformed in Brazil or South America at all, just by the time they were released there expectations were (unfairly) higher.

The problem was not the theme of the movie. January in Brazil and Argentina is like August here. Some people go to the beach for free with the kids instead of paying to go to the movies. Just that. The most successful animated movies there were released before their winter holidays in July when there is nothing to do outdoor with the kids. Also the exchange rate was better last July there than now. In spite of that Frozen did pretty good in South America.

The Brazilian economy is slow since 2012 so you can't expect a huge leap, and as they said before it's summer in Brazil so Frozen is a bit out of sync.

The problem was not the theme of the movie. January in Brazil and Argentina is like August here. Some people go to the beach for free with the kids instead of paying to go to the movies. Just that. The most successful animated movies there were released before their winter holidays in July when there is nothing to do outdoor with the kids. Also the exchange rate was better last July there than now. In spite of that Frozen did pretty good in South America.

Brazil is mostly in the tropics. There is no  real winter. I don't see how that applies

I haven't got any numbers, but according to The Swedish Film Institute Frozen kept the top spot in attendance here (Sweden) this weekend, despite The Lego Movie and Monuments Men premiering. So, it's obviously still doing rather well (or the Lego Movie is totally tanking).

Good to see it's still #1. I really want to see some numbers, especially to see how it is doing compared to Tangled. B)

Sun sets at 5:30 PM in July, then they go to the movies ;) In January the day is longer, there is sunlight until 8 PM.

Also temperatures are around 5-10º lower in July. It's winter for them. 

Their winters are hotter than my springs in France :lol: Hotter than many of my summers if you think about it, I remember last July, temperatures could be as low as +10°C z_z

Edited by Tails Miles Prower

Kinda like how people in LA freak out and put coats, hats, and gloves on when it gets into the 60s or 50s? A friend of mine (from Chicago) recently took a marching band tech job out there, and apparently everyone thought he was weird for wearing a t-shirt and shorts in that kind of weather.

• Like 3

Good to see it's still #1. I really want to see some numbers, especially to see how it is doing compared to Tangled. B)

Tangled 8m

Feb. 4–6          $1,828,543     $1,902,690

Feb. 11–13 .             1,170,481      $3,435,830

Feb. 18–20 .                905,488      $4,747,0573

Frozen

Jan. 31–Feb. 21    $2,475,889       $2,475,889

Feb. 7–9 .                  1,752,378      $

BOM should report sweden later. My guess is 1.2/6.3. 33% ahead of tangled.

Edited by mfantin65

Sun sets at 5:30 PM in July, then they go to the movies ;) In January the day is longer, there is sunlight uin a parka til 8 PM.

Also temperatures are around 5-10º lower in July. It's winter for them. 

Kinda like how people in LA freak out and put coats, hats, and gloves on when it gets into the 60s or 50s? A friend of mine (from Chicago) recently took a marching band tech job out there, and apparently everyone thought he was weird for wearing a t-shirt and shorts in that kind of weather.

Part of Brazil is equatorial. Sets at 6 all the time. 530-730 in rio not much of swing. I don't see the diff, anyway

In South Beach on a 50 degree morning I was wearing a flannel and jeans. To my right was a vacationing chicagoan wearing t shirt and shorts, to my left was a cuban in a parka, hat scarf gloves boots, arms crossed and shaking. Very funny.

• Like 1

Tangled 8mFeb. 4–6          $1,828,543     $1,902,690Feb. 11–13 .             1,170,481      $3,435,830Feb. 18–20 .                905,488      $4,747,0573FrozenJan. 31–Feb. 21    $2,475,889       $2,475,889Feb. 7–9 .                  1,752,378      $4,606,922 BOM should report sweden later. My guess is 1.2/6.3. 33% ahead of tangled.

$1 M Weekend, $6.1 Total

SK box office live presales#1 Pompei:18.3%#2 Frozen: 17.9%Frozen loses its #1 presales spot but considering it's in its sixth week its not really surprising. Liam neeson's "nonstop" will also be a big hit over here. Expect frozen to do around 10.5m ish admissions

So it looks like Frozen is heading for $980+ by next Sunday.... $956 + $9 from China + $7 DOM + $5 from SK + $5 from the rest of the markets = $982 M at least!!!! ;-)

For the week I think it will go like this.

DOM 8

China 10

SK 6

Other 5

985m

1 billion on the following saturday mar 2

• Like 1

Let's say $2.3 + $0.8 Wed-Thu + $3.9 Weekend (which is around 40% drop) = $7 M

You still don't understand :P But it's fine ^^ I went on BOM, they say $378m cum for Frozen.

It's really a huge number, no wonder the US market is so big compared to the other markets.

• Like 1