CJohn

Monday (7/23/12) Numbers: The Dark Knight Rises - 19.5M

Uhm... I was just making an observation about the crowd at my local theater, then added the comment about Bales visit as a projected scenario for down the road. I didn't try and corelate last night's attendance as being the result of Bale visiting the victims. I know you didn't care for this film. But do you honestly need to negate every positive comment about the movie simply because you didn't like it? Lets take a deep breath here and not champion it's demise just because it didn't pleasure your palet enough. Let people have their opinion without you having to run over them with your pessimistic outlook.

I'm just simply stating that there is nothing surprising about a film having a lineup on a Tuesday, its fifth day of release when it is making 18-20 million dollars across the country.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest adjusted is 511 m.

And you are telling me that the sequel from one of the most cherrished and most successful movie in the last 15 years from one of the most important directors of its generation putting its stamp on the most popular supehero in the USA

WASN'T BOUND TO MAKE AT LEAST 500 M DOM???

GET A GRIP PEOPLE, PLEASE !!!!!!!

You're comparing TDKR to the wrong movie. CotBP and BB were both WOM hits that didn't reach their full box office potential. They were followed by sequels that increased hugely over the original, probably reaching the maximum audience possible for their respective franchises. TDK made $80 million more than the most successful Batman movie before it, adjusting for inflation - clearly a large number of people who don't normally care about Batman movies went to see it. The third entry in those franchises would understandably drop a little. If TDKR can retain as much of its predecessor's audience as AWE retained from DMC then it will finish around $390. I expect it to do better than that because, obviously, it's a much better movie than AWE.

Bottom line is, we can pretty much all agree TDKR lost at least $20m from its OW. But if WOM convinces those who stayed away to come in the following weeks, it can get close to 500m. If WOM isn't good enough and those people decide to wait for the DVD instead, then it may struggle to reach 400m. Either way, the final gross of the movie will come down to its appeal to general audiences, just like it would have done without the shooting.

• Like 1