baumer

The Expendables 2

38 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I thought most of the action was great. Unfortunately, the story is terrible. Terrible enough to detract from the awesomeness of the action. Norris and Arnold bailing them out of the jams they were in was incredibly lame. It's not that I didn't like their characters, I didn't like how they showed up. And I didn't care for how Li was gone after the first scene, and that Lundgren and Statham had so little to do. The first was way better.

C+

I thought most of the action was great. Unfortunately, the story is terrible. Terrible enough to detract from the awesomeness of the action. Norris and Arnold bailing them out of the jams they were in was incredibly lame. It's not that I didn't like their characters, I didn't like how they showed up. And I didn't care for how Li was gone after the first scene, and that Lundgren and Statham had so little to do. The first was way better.

C+

Although I enjoyed it much more than you, your problems with it are also the ones I had.

C+

? I thought Statham had plenty to do!

? Norris bailing them out was a running joke, and not lame - or do you think all action has to be lifelike - like Stallone could really drive the plane into the cave, and not have it blow up. Anyway, I thought the first scene where Norris took out like 50 guys and a tank was funny!

? On Arnold, same as above - he was basically making an appearance, with his built in jokes.

? On Jet Li - sorry but they gave him a great fight, and then either he or they decided to only have him make an appearance - so others could do more in the move.

? Dolph did enough in the movie - he didn't need to do anymore - or did you want him doing something extra, that you would be calling lame now?

? I thought Statham had plenty to do!? Norris bailing them out was a running joke, and not lame - or do you think all action has to be lifelike - like Stallone could really drive the plane into the cave, and not have it blow up. Anyway, I thought the first scene where Norris took out like 50 guys and a tank was funny!? On Arnold, same as above - he was basically making an appearance, with his built in jokes.? On Jet Li - sorry but they gave him a great fight, and then either he or they decided to only have him make an appearance - so others could do more in the move.? Dolph did enough in the movie - he didn't need to do anymore - or did you want him doing something extra, that you would be calling lame now?

I guess I just wanted more from Statham.The first time Norris showed up, it was not a running joke. Stallone's crew finds themselves in a really bad spot. How are they going to get out of it? Yeah, bring in Norris totally out of left field to save the day. LAME! If it was Jet Li, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.Arnold's appearance with the drill? The same. Stallone's crew finds themselves in a really bad spot. How are they going to get out of it? Yeah, Arnold comes out of nowhere with a drill. LAME! If it was Norris, I wouldn't have had a problem with it since they already showed him saving their butts. It would have made the first one more palatable too.Jet Li was billed third so I was expecting and wanting more from him. Why should I be satisfied with only a token appearance no matter how great the fight?What did Dolph do besides act drunk and make bad come-ons to the token female? Dude's a major badass. Could've given him at least one good fight scene.
  • Like 2

I didn't like Arnold just showing up. I would have liked at least a scene where Stallone asks him how he knew to find him there. And Jet, my God, what a waste. The film was lacking his character. His beginning bad ass fight scene was excellent but why take him out from there?And Dolph, this is the character that pissed me off the most. He is a real life bad ass and I didn't like how he only had one fight in the first one and it was against one of his own team no less. In this one, he should have been allowed to shine. I was yearning to see him kick someone's ass and show us what he can do.I think they dropped the ball here.

I guess I just wanted more from Statham.The first time Norris showed up, it was not a running joke. Stallone's crew finds themselves in a really bad spot. How are they going to get out of it? Yeah, bring in Norris totally out of left field to save the day. LAME! If it was Jet Li, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.Arnold's appearance with the drill? The same. Stallone's crew finds themselves in a really bad spot. How are they going to get out of it? Yeah, Arnold comes out of nowhere with a drill. LAME! If it was Norris, I wouldn't have had a problem with it since they already showed him saving their butts. It would have made the first one more palatable too.Jet Li was billed third so I was expecting and wanting more from him. Why should I be satisfied with only a token appearance no matter how great the fight?What did Dolph do besides act drunk and make bad come-ons to the token female? Dude's a major badass. Could've given him at least one good fight scene.

LOL/WHATEVER! As you would be fine if one character did it, but lame that another character did it.And again, all the extended new roles, needed some others cut - Maggie, Willis, Arnold, Norris.And Dolph, played to his character, like Crews, he wasn't needed for more!

I didn't like Arnold just showing up. I would have liked at least a scene where Stallone asks him how he knew to find him there. And Jet, my God, what a waste. The film was lacking his character. His beginning bad ass fight scene was excellent but why take him out from there?And Dolph, this is the character that pissed me off the most. He is a real life bad ass and I didn't like how he only had one fight in the first one and it was against one of his own team no less. In this one, he should have been allowed to shine. I was yearning to see him kick someone's ass and show us what he can do.I think they dropped the ball here.

This may be the only quibble I have about the movie. I do like how they showed his actual intelligence even if it was used as a joke. But yeah I would have liked to have seen a good fight scene with Dolph Edited by 75live
  • Like 1

LOL/WHATEVER! As you would be fine if one character did it, but lame that another character did it.And again, all the extended new roles, needed some others cut - Maggie, Willis, Arnold, Norris.And Dolph, played to his character, like Crews, he wasn't needed for more!

Yea, whatever dude. Your opinion is not the only one out there. There are those like me and Xanamanax who feel differently. He and I both expressed it quite clearly what we wanted out of the film and didn't get it. So do't act like we're idiots for disagreeing with you.

Yea, whatever dude. Your opinion is not the only one out there. There are those like me and Xanamanax who feel differently. He and I both expressed it quite clearly what we wanted out of the film and didn't get it. So do't act like we're idiots for disagreeing with you.

Baumer, why don't you lose the attitude! Where did I imply you were idiots? Why cause I said LOL/Whatever. Which is pretty mild in my opinion! Compared to some punk, who called me a retard in another thread! And your a MOD? So I think you should do a comparision.Anyway, I was just giving my opinion, and that guy said, he would have been OK, if another did that did that. So again, I stand by Whatever. ( Let me know if I am not allowed to say that!, on this site)and for your review,.....see just giving my opinion!LOL/WHATEVER! As you would be fine if one character did it, but lame that another character did it.And again, all the extended new roles, needed some others cut - Maggie, Willis, Arnold, Norris.And Dolph, played to his character, like Crews, he wasn't needed for more!

Yea but xanamanax gave his opinion and you basically told him that his opinion is wrong. It's not wrong. If you enjoyed it for all that it is, then that's cool and I'm glad everyone is loving it. But there are those of who's opinion shouldn't be scoffed at just because we feel differently.And yes I'm a mod. What does that have to do with anything?

Taking someone points/comments and commenting on them is called a discussion or a debate. If you don't want that to happen, then you should take away the quote bar. Or are we all suppose to just say good things, when we quote other people. But that seems not very mature. IMO.

I don't think either of these films (while the action in the second is a noticeable improvement) have come close to the concept's potential.

I have to watch the first one again, but I agree with you on the second; they did a good job. You just had to enjoy what was on screen.

Perfection? Then you must not be happy with any movie...as are there really any perfect movies?

Yes, there are. First Blood is perfection. Rambo and Rocky 1-4 are perfection. cliffhanger is pretty much perfect. Sly can do it. Oh, and of course, JAWS is perfect in every way. :)