A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Updates:Painted Skin 2 opened to more than 70M yuan ($11M) Thursday, 6M yuan midnight included. That is exactly as big as Titanic 3D. 100M yuan Saturday is happening, TF3's Sat record (114M yuan) might goes down as well. :o 4 days total looks heading to huge 350M yuan ($55M), which is on par with mega hits TF3 and Titanic 3D. :o100M will be eclipsed before next Sunday. First $100M and very likely first 150M local movie. :oPS2 costed less than $15M to produce, market, and do 3D conversion.

Edited by firedeep

So PS1 was the classic ghost-story and PS2 is just a sequel to cash in on the success?

The original PS story is considered classic. But PS1 is just a so-so movie. Then yes, PS2 is a quick cash grab.

The huge breaking out of PS2 has some of its behind reasons:

1. Market capacity in 2012 has been much bigger than 2010, with screen number almost doubled.

2. PS2 follows a successful box office hit.

3. All star cast, some actors/actresses in this with some most and crazy fans in China.

4. No major local films released in the first half year 2012 until PS2.

5. All students are out of school for summer holiday by the last week of June.

6. And of course, 3D. PS2 is an excusively 3D release. Big price boost.

Edited by firedeep

I guess China's stupid ban on Hollywood movies helped local films a lot. I can't wait until TASM and TDKR open and break records to wipe the smiles off their faces.

Of course the ban helps local films a lot, they wont do that at all of no help ...Fuck the government.

With the way local films were performing at the start of the year and now the wo month foreign ban, I genuinely thought the theatres would be struggling, but apparently not. It seems that foreign films > local films > not going to the movies at all, which is interesting.

Do the Chinese studios have any ambition to produce movies that non Chinese people would like to watch? As Hollywood movies are a success the world over our tastes can't be totally different. I remember hating American movies as a child because they were always singing just like in those Indian movies now. Luckily they have changed. I still have a soft corner for silent movies, because I loved them as a child, but the resemblance of Painted Skin to those is offputting.

Do the Chinese studios have any ambition to produce movies that non Chinese people would like to watch? As Hollywood movies are a success the world over our tastes can't be totally different. I remember hating American movies as a child because they were always singing just like in those Indian movies now. Luckily they have changed. I still have a soft corner for silent movies, because I loved them as a child, but the resemblance of Painted Skin to those is offputting.

Yes they do, but they just are unable. No other country can produce or promote global blockbusters except Hollywood.

I have a question Is Monkey King starring Donnie Yen being released next week ? and if so how will it do cause apparently that movie ( a pricey one ) doesn't need marketing ... other than that written ( wtf ) trailer on youtube or maybe I just can't find a proper trailer

I have a questionIs Monkey King starring Donnie Yen being released next week ? and if so how will it do cause apparently that movie ( a pricey one ) doesn't need marketing ... other than that written ( wtf ) trailer on youtubeor maybe I just can't find a proper trailer

Still no trailer for it.It probably will be released next summer last week of June (the same time as PS2).

it has been out for 2 weeks, but i guess many of this forum members might have not read it. interesting article about US films in china box office, Studio Report Card: The Widely Varied Performance of U.S. Distributors in China

http://chinafilmbiz.wordpress.com/2012/06/18/studio-report-card-the-widely-varied-performance-of-u-s-distributors-in-china/

An excerpt:

Hollywood’s studios are all benefitting from China’s box office boom, but they’re not benefitting equally. Some have been much more effective than others at getting their films into Chinese movie theaters, and their financial results from China distribution have varied widely. The top grossing major studio, Paramount, has over the past couple of years earned more than four times as much from its China releases as the sixth place studio, Universal.