A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Unbelievable. And I would've seen a midnight screening if they'd had any in my area...

EDIT: Haha, the theater just called to tell me the 7:20 show I booked yesterday isn't happening. They offered me a refund or an exchange for another movie. I went for the refund but I felt like saying "I've already seen Drug War, what else am I supposed to watch"...

Edited by Bob Violence

I heard China doesn't have a rating system?  Which would be strange for a country with such a prominent film industry and box-office.  If that's the case, then I'm surprised that Django was cleared for release in the first place.   The graphic content in the film, no matter how much you cut it out, doesn't seem suitable for "general" audience I guess.  That begs another question, does movies released in China have to be suitable for all ages?  

But since it was released, its kind of ridiculous to pull it from the theaters.  Is the studio going to re-cut it and re-releasing it?  

Edited by Ay72998

I heard China doesn't have a rating system?  Which would be strange for a country with such a prominent film industry and box-office.  If that's the case, then I'm surprised that Django was cleared for release in the first place.   The graphic content in the film, no matter how much you cut it out, doesn't seem suitable for "general" audience I guess.  That begs another question, does movies released in China have to be suitable for all ages?  

But since it was released, its kind of ridiculous to pull it from the theaters.  Is the studio going to re-cut it and re-releasing it?  

Rating system is not suitable for China at the moment.  It'd be a big topic to discuss the reasons....ideology, the open of media to publics, and the social stability (China has 56 ethnic groups).   The Django case is a weird case we'll see how the gov replies.  Good news is that an increasingly number of  R-rated movies are being released in China,including Resident Evil.  Nudity is strictly forbidden, and blood scene should be encouraged to "represent a personality or tell the story",not to encourage violence. People at all ages can go to cinemas, so a 7-year-old can watch Resident Evil, Django.etc (of course censored)

Django Got Chained Again - My View on the Quentin Tarantino Picture's China Case

As we all know, China dont have any film rating system. All movies are determined by the SARFT censors wether to be released or not. Every film faces the censors through the early stage of script on papers to the final theatical release. In most cases, movies all need to be re-cut at varying degrees to get released. That said, as long as your movie can get through the censorship, it doesnot need to be all ages friendly.

As for the case of Django Unchained, since it managed to get an official release schedule, it certainly was certificated censors-friendly by the SARFT. The surprising release cancel that happened minites after its first screenings early Thursday has little to do with the so called "technical problems", in my view. Since the Sarft dont need to require the pulling off of all theater standees, posters and trailers for the film in that case. It is also reported that any theater that, without listening to the Sarft, continues to show DU after receiving the official cancel notification from CFGC will get severe punishment. No further official explaination has been given so far except the cliché and meaningless "technical problems". However, all signs suggest that there is unlikely to be any re-schedule plan for the film I am afraid.

Several rumors are going around including the one that the sudden last-minute block of Django Unchained has a lot to do with the unwilling from Sarft of possibly seeing grading system getting further actively discussed, which is always a sensitive and inconvenient subject for the Sarft. Drug War, a drug enforcement themed film from HongKong director Johnnie To, which was released last Tuesday, has already stirred up some notable talks among public regarding the Sarft censorship and the demanding of lauching a grading system. With the coming of Beijing International Film Festival next week, topics about films will predictably go even hotter. So it is reasonably argued that Sarft blocked Django Unchained to avoid any further warming up about these movie-grading talks. After all, Django Unchained is indeed a rather violent in their censorship standard and the possibility of some nudity scenes did get skinned during earlier examining screenings likely helped the cancel too.

Django Got Chained Again - My View on the Quentin Tarantino Picture's China Case

As we all know, China dont have any film rating system. All movies are determined by the SARFT censors wether to be released or not. Every film faces the censors through the early stage of script on papers to the final theatical release. In most cases, movies all need to be re-cut at varying degrees to get released. That said, as long as your movie can get through the censorship, it doesnot need to be all ages friendly.

As for the case of Django Unchained, since it managed to get an official release schedule, it certainly was certificated censors-friendly by the SARFT. The surprising release cancel that happened minites after its first screenings early Thursday has little to do with the so called "technical problems", in my view. Since the Sarft dont need to require the pulling off of all theater standees, posters and trailers for the film in that case. It is also reported that any theater that, without listening to the Sarft, continues to show DU after receiving the official cancel notification from CFGC will get severe punishment. No further official explaination has been given so far except the cliché and meaningless "technical problems". However, all signs suggest that there is unlikely to be any re-schedule plan for the film I am afraid.

Several rumors are going around including the one that the sudden last-minute block of Django Unchained has a lot to do with the unwilling from Sarft of possibly seeing grading system getting further actively discussed, which is always a sensitive and inconvenient subject for the Sarft. Drug War, a drug enforcement themed film from HongKong director Johnnie To, which was released last Tuesday, has already stirred up some notable talks among public regarding the Sarft censorship and the demanding of lauching a grading system. With the coming of Beijing International Film Festival next week, topics about films will predictably go even hotter. So it is reasonably argued that Sarft blocked Django Unchained to avoid any further warming up about these movie-grading talks. After all, Django Unchained is indeed a rather violent in their censorship standard and the possibility of some nudity scenes did get skinned during earlier examining screenings likely helped the cancel too.

Sounds reasonable. I haven't watched Drug War but I heard there are lots of scenes like drug injection, gunshots and "body smuggling'  available for people at all ages..

Whatever their intention was, now it backfired. Talks about DU's censorship raised more attentions from people.

Edited by POLYLOVE

I think by now they should have known that by creating a big news over censorship of a major movie also creates the Forbidden Apple syndrome: now every young people in China wants to see DJANGO. But Hollywood may get pinched in the process (i.e.: pirated copies)

Mtime is now claiming DU will be re-released at the end of the month if it undergoes some additional editing. Their mysterious unnamed source claims it's basically up to Tarantino now, since he has final cut. The film already would've been competing with uncut Blu-ray copies, now it'll probably be competing with So Young and IM3. I doubt all the free publicity will make up for that. Of course, in an ideal world this would've come out months ago.