A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Re: the Hundred Regiments controversythe issue isn't just bulk buying by government agencies, which has plenty of precedent: The Founding of a Republic and Beginning of the Great Revival both benefited from that, and at one point the highest-grossing domestic production of all time was an anti-corruption film called Final Decision (2000) that government employees were required to attend. In the case of Hundred Regiments it also appears that theaters are redirecting box office from other films by printing out tickets for Hundred Regiments and then hand-writing in the names of other films that people actually want to see.

Re: the Hundred Regiments controversy—the issue isn't just bulk buying by government agencies, which has plenty of precedent: The Founding of a Republic and Beginning of the Great Revival both benefited from that, and at one point the highest-grossing domestic production of all time was an anti-corruption film called Final Decision (2000) that government employees were required to attend. In the case of Hundred Regiments it also appears that theaters are redirecting box office from other films by printing out tickets for Hundred Regiments and then hand-writing in the names of other films that people actually want to see.

I suspect this is not the directive of the CCP. Instead, it is the decision of movie theatre owners who did this dirty trick so that they get to keep 100% of the gross as promised by CCP.

• Like 1

Re: the Hundred Regiments controversy—the issue isn't just bulk buying by government agencies, which has plenty of precedent: The Founding of a Republic and Beginning of the Great Revival both benefited from that, and at one point the highest-grossing domestic production of all time was an anti-corruption film called Final Decision (2000) that government employees were required to attend. In the case of Hundred Regiments it also appears that theaters are redirecting box office from other films by printing out tickets for Hundred Regiments and then hand-writing in the names of other films that people actually want to see.

It make $50M at this time, just 6 days of release. So $100M isn't far.

I suspect this is not the directive of the CCP. Instead, it is the decision of movie theatre owners who did this dirty trick so that they get to keep 100% of the gross as promised by CCP.

I noticed evening numbers are much lower than they should be, especially T5. The morning and midday multiplier keeps falling short

Today is a holiday. T5 is looking to bump 20%, 25m~. I would say 25% but I keep over shooting the bow. Will be interesting to see if the midday multipliers rise after the mandate is over.

MH at 2393m yesterday after a 2.7m day and looks like it mite bump 100%. Again multipliers are off. Maybe 100 Regiments is stealing from MH and MH is therefore cooking its books. Soviet Union collapsed doing this shit. :P  MH should pass FF7 in yen by sunday and I contend it would have passed FF7 w/o cooking with grease.

I guess 1B for TMK is not important for the CCP unless we see an expansion soon and a bonfire to cook more books!

Back to your earlier point on persuasion to see a movie. That's how word of mouth works, " you must see this", you haven't? you live under a rock? everyone has." I've had many girlfriends over the years drag me to Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt movies. As one comedian said. "My wife likes to see Antonio Bandaras movies. I don't, but I go because he his screen presence is like human foreplay for my wife with that Spanish accent and machismo. I yell at the screen dance Antonio! Leap Antonio! Yeah,  I know I'm getting some tonight."  So I really didn't willingly attend those movies, my lower have did. :)

One last note

My cousin had a birthday party back in '77. It included going to see a movie. I didn't want to go but I was forced to. My cousin and our friends loved Star Trek reruns on TV and I hated it. But this new space movie had great new special effects so I went with an open mind. I fell asleep half way through Star Wars. I was a Jaws, Exorcist, Godfather and Lawrence of Arabia movie goer even at an early age.. Pure torture for me would be to sit through the 12 installments back to back of star wars and LotR/Hobbit. Kim Jong Il wouldve gotten me to say/do anything after that. "I love North Korea, You are God, strap a nuke to my back and I'll blow up America!" So by your proposed accounting system, since I was forced to go and missed most of the movie, I shall deduct $2 from the 1977 gross and $10 adjusted for inflation :lol:

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Adjusted Gross Unadjusted Gross Year^
1 Gone with the Wind MGM $1,695,154,400 $198,676,459 1939^
2 Star Wars Fox $1,494,423,400 $460,998,007 1977^
3 The Sound of Music Fox $1,194,865,000 $158,671,368 1965
4 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial Uni. $1,190,157,900 $435,110,554 1982^
5 Titanic Par. $1,136,630,800 $658,672,302 1997

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Adjusted Gross Unadjusted Gross Year^
1 Gone with the Wind MGM $1,695,154,400 $198,676,459 1939^
2 Star Wars Fox $1,494,423,390 $460,998,005 1977^
3 The Sound of Music Fox $1,194,865,000 $158,671,368 1965
4 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial Uni. $1,190,157,900 $435,110,554 1982^
5 Titanic Par. $1,136,630,800 $658,672,302 1997^

Edited by M F Lawrence
  • Like 1

I noticed evening numbers are much lower than they should be, especially T5. The morning and midday multiplier keeps falling short

Today is a holiday. T5 is looking to bump 20%, 25m~. I would say 25% but I keep over shooting the bow. Will be interesting to see if the midday multipliers rise after the mandate is over.

MH at 2393m yesterday after a 2.7m day and looks like it mite bump 100%. Again multipliers are off. Maybe 100 Regiments is stealing from MH and MH is therefore cooking its books. Soviet Union collapsed doing this shit. :P  MH should pass FF7 in yen by sunday and I contend it would have passed FF7 w/o cooking with grease.

I guess 1B for TMK is not important for the CCP unless we see an expansion soon and a bonfire to cook more books!

Back to your earlier point on persuasion to see a movie. That's how word of mouth works, " you must see this", you haven't? you live under a rock? everyone has." I've had many girlfriends over the years drag me to Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt movies. As one comedian said. "My wife likes to see Antonio Bandaras movies. I don't, but I go because he his screen presence is like human foreplay for my wife with that Spanish accent and machismo. I yell at the screen dance Antonio! Leap Antonio! Yeah,  I know I'm getting some tonight."  So I really didn't willingly attend those movies, my lower have did. :)

One last note

My cousin had a birthday party back in '77. It included going to see a movie. I didn't want to go but I was forced to. My cousin and our friends loved Star Trek reruns on TV and I hated it. But this new space movie had great new special effects so I went with an open mind. I fell asleep half way through Star Wars. I was a Jaws, Exorcist, Godfather and Lawrence of Arabia movie goer even at an early age.. Pure torture for me would be to sit through the 12 installments back to back of star wars and LotR/Hobbit. Kim Jong Il wouldve gotten me to say/do anything after that. "I love North Korea, You are God, strap a nuke to my back and I'll blow up America!" So by your proposed accounting system, since I was forced to go and missed most of the movie, I shall deduct $2 from the 1977 gross and $10 adjusted for inflation :lol:

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Adjusted Gross Unadjusted Gross Year^ 1 Gone with the Wind MGM $1,695,154,400 $198,676,459 1939^ 2 Star Wars Fox $1,494,423,400 $460,998,007 1977^ 3 The Sound of Music Fox $1,194,865,000 $158,671,368 1965 4 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial Uni. $1,190,157,900 $435,110,554 1982^ 5 Titanic Par. $1,136,630,800 $658,672,302 1997

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Adjusted Gross Unadjusted Gross Year^ 1 Gone with the Wind MGM $1,695,154,400 $198,676,459 1939^ 2 Star Wars Fox $1,494,423,390 $460,998,005 1977^ 3 The Sound of Music Fox $1,194,865,000 $158,671,368 1965 4 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial Uni. $1,190,157,900 $435,110,554 1982^ 5 Titanic Par. $1,136,630,800 $658,672,302 1997^

Lawrence, any pre-sales info for MI5 and Minions? What's your expectations for both films?

• Like 1

Lawrence, any pre-sales info for MI5 and Minions? What's your expectations for both films?

Im not a big forecaster. Im better at projecting with 2-3 days of data. I thought T5 would be less than 100m OD and less  than Dom. No clue.  I leave it up to the other guys w gewara, twitter, etc to have an Idea where its going to be

With all the talk about China passing Domestic. It looks like it'll be getting a little harder with the XR moving a little and Domestic may finally crack 11B after being stuck in the 10B range for 6 years

Take the poll on where you'll think it'll be this year.

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/20003-after-6-years-of-being-stuck-at-10b-will-domestic-crack-11b/

I don't think it's an official directive, but it's a perfectly predictable consequence of letting exhibitors keep all of the box office and setting box-office targets. (The article I linked above doesn't say who issued the targets, but this one says they came from China Film Group themselves.) In other words, theaters have a strong incentive to sell tickets, but they have absolutely no incentive to do so by reducing ticket prices. Here's what I mean by that: if the exhibitor normally keeps 57% of the ticket price, then a ticket that normally sells for 40 yuan would bring them around 23 yuan in revenue. If the exhibitor gets to keep 100% of the box office, they could lower the ticket price to, say, 25-30 yuan, keep all of it, and potentially sell more tickets thanks to the lower price. But with this film, lowering the ticket prices could put them at risk of missing the targets, so they aren't doing that, and in fact the average ticket price for Hundred Regiments is apparently higher than it is for the typical 2D film. By selling tickets for Hundred Regiments to patrons who are actually going to other films, the theaters not only increase their revenue but also help their chances of meeting the targets. Some amount of box-office theft would've occurred even without the targets—100% of ticket sales is waaaay too temptingbut the targets probably made the situation worse.

Edited by Bob Violence
  • Like 1

Sounds pretty low for Minions..

Makes me wonder if everyone is over-estimating it, or if pre-sales are not always a good indicator

In my opinion presale is ok
  JW below results
06/03/2015 22:50 Beijing time - JW - 584 (7 days before the premiere)
  • Like 1

I don't think it's an official directive, but it's a perfectly predictable consequence of letting exhibitors keep all of the box office and setting box-office targets. (The article I linked above doesn't say who issued the targets, but this one says they came from China Film Group themselves.) In other words, theaters have a strong incentive to sell tickets, but they have absolutely no incentive to do so by reducing ticket prices. Here's what I mean by that: if the exhibitor normally keeps 57% of the ticket price, then a ticket that normally sells for 40 yuan would bring them around 23 yuan in revenue. If the exhibitor gets to keep 100% of the box office, they could lower the ticket price to, say, 25-30 yuan, keep all of it, and potentially sell more tickets thanks to the lower price. But with this film, lowering the ticket prices could put them at risk of missing the targets, so they aren't doing that, and in fact the average ticket price for Hundred Regiments is apparently higher than it is for the typical 2D film. By selling tickets for Hundred Regiments to patrons who are actually going to other films, the theaters not only increase their revenue but also help their chances of meeting the targets. Some amount of box-office theft would've occurred even without the targets—100% of ticket sales is waaaay too tempting—but the targets probably made the situation worse.

Indeed... This practice makes me feel like there is no point tracking.