A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Now it's 25%, still pretty low.

Still a huge ripoff.

-----

According to the book The Hollywood Economist by Edward Jay Epstein, studios take in about 40 percent of the revenue from overseas release — and after expenses, they're lucky if they take in 15 percent of that number.

----

If it is right and 15 percent is what you get from non us theaters after expenses are count, than 25 percent from china is HUGE number if we consider there is almost no p&a for US distributors.

Actually Hollywood studios do spend money on advertising for their movies in China (if only they want more box office gross).

Local distributors (aka CFGC (China Film Group Corporation) and Huaxia (Huaxia Film Distribution CO.,Ltd)) do spend a lot on advertising too, but they wont do their best since they dont care that much about foreign movies. So Hollywood studios also do advertising themselves, but only on the net world and outdoors. No TV spots, the most expensive and effective ways of promoting movies, are allowed for foreign movies.

As for the prints, however, Hollywood studios neednt do that. CFGC and HUAXIA do the prints fully.

There wont be any Chinese coproduction in Avatar sequels. Cameron will make them the way he made the first one. The reason Cameron said they were "discussing the possibilty of co-operating with Chinese" is because he was attending a Chinese film festival at that time and was asked by some Chinese media if he had any desire to work with Chinese film companies. That was just a polite answer he gave.And why would he have to give up some WW BO share if he wants to have Chinese involved?

This. I agree with this. But even if Avatar 2 or 3 is not co-producted with China, they will get a China release for sure. Cameron attended that Beijing film Festival, which got the government a lot of faces and attentions from abroad.

This. I agree with this.But even if Avatar 2 or 3 is not co-producted with China, they will get a China release for sure. Cameron attended that Beijing film Festival, which got the government a lot of faces and attentions from abroad.

I dont think we, or anyone else in the planet, should worry about whether Avatar sequels will hit the Chinese cinema. Fox is one of the first studios that opened business in China, and they've been having great relationship with the government ever since. There's no way the sequels dont have a China release.

I dont think we, or anyone else in the planet, should worry about whether Avatar sequels will hit the Chinese cinema. Fox is one of the first studios that opened business in China, and they've been having great relationship with the government ever since. There's no way the sequels dont have a China release.

Yes and Yes.(Fox even funded to CCTV ...)

There wont be any Chinese coproduction in Avatar sequels. Cameron will make them the way he made the first one. The reason Cameron said they were "discussing the possibilty of co-operating with Chinese" is because he was attending a Chinese film festival at that time and was asked by some Chinese media if he had any desire to work with Chinese film companies. That was just a polite answer he gave.

i tought it was a sure thing cameron chinese coproduction. i see i was wrong.

anyway, i dont think it was a polity answer. acording to different interviews, one of the reason of his cinese trip was to talk about possibility of co production.

´there are multifold reasons for me to be here now. We’re trying to jam a lot into one trip. I’m here as the co-chairman of CPG – Cameron Pace Group – to talk about 3D production, both for broadcast and for film. There are some meetings around that. Then, we’re having some Avatar 2 and 3 Chinese co-production discussions.´

And why would he have to give up some WW BO share if he wants to have Chinese involved?

Of course, he would love to keep it all. What i think will eventually happen is that if not avatar 2, then avatar 3 most likely will be a chinese co production. cameron doesnt need chinese labour or money, he wants bigger box office share. when avatar 3 is released, it might do 600M or even a billion in china. by least share of global box office revenue to chinese co producents (remember hollywood creative acounting, 30 percent distribution costs, overhead expenses, money interests - etc. - so outside co producent will get much less than it appeared they would get) he will gain a bigger, probably much bigger count from chinese box office than 25 percent. (40 percent maybe?).

Top Hollywood releases of 2012 (as of July 3):

1.Titanic 3D $155M

2. MI4 $107M

3. TA $91.42M

4. MIB3 $82.05M

5. Journey 2 $61M

6. Battleship $51

7. John Carter $42M

8. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted $29.33M

9. Sherlock Holmes 2 $29M

10. Wrath of the Titans $26.5M

11. The Hunger Games $26.27M

12. War Horse $18.5M

could you update that list please - maybe add it to your first post
  • Like 1

could you update that list please - maybe add it to your first post

Top Hollywood releases of 2012 (as of August 12):

1.Titanic 3D $155M

2. MI4 $107M

3. TA $91.42M

4. MIB3 $82.05M

5. Journey 2 $61M

6. Ice Age 4 $57M

7. Battleship $51

8. John Carter $42M

9. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted $34.1M

10. Sherlock Holmes 2 $29M

11. The Hunger Games $28.78M

12. Wrath of the Titans $26.5M

13. War Horse $18.5M

• Like 1

August 6~12 Weekly Official cash out:

IA4 fell to second place after a local opener, drawing 78.8M yuan, $12.51M, with 1974528 admissions via 86031 shows from 2,000 sites, down 48.5% from last week; cume now is 361.8M yuan, $57.43M.

Jason Statham's The Mechanic brought in another 30M yuan, $4.76M, with 921171 admissions via 55740 shows. Cume is 80M yuan, $12.7M after 11 days.

Guy Peace's Lockout opened to an average 25M yuan, $4.97M. Looks for about $10M as its total.

Abduction, 3.4M yuan, $0.54M, down hefty 87% from the week before with most screen cut. Cume now is 52.7M yuan, $8.37M.

Lorax attached another misery 1.45M yuan, $0.23M, from some 100 locations; Total now only is 13.45M yuan, $2.14M. Epic bomb

Source: Sarft via Mtime.com

China theatrical status updates:

As of August, there are about a total of 3,300 theaters from 31 main commercial cinema chains in China, 2531 of which can report box office in real time. In total 1286 theaters each managed a ticket sale of more than 1 million yuan at the box office in the first six month of 2012. And about 100 theaters sold over 1 million dollars box office in the first half of year. 423 new theaters opened this year by August.

Total screen number as of end of July is about 11,100.