A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

The Chinese people I've talked to about baseball don't know anything about it except that it involves knocking a ball around with a bat. Fielding positions, foul lines, outs, three strikes/four balls, all that is totally Greek to them. I'm curious to see how or if the movie explains the rules for the benefit of Chinese viewers. Maybe they should've made it about a basketball-playing gorilla.

Edited by Bob Violence

Local small budget thriller Bunshinsaba 2 opened on Tuesday, grossing about 16M after two days. It should be the very first 100M+ grossing local Chinese thriller ever, which is one thing that worths to be noted I think.

A little update:

Wom for Bunshinsaba 2 continues spreading. It is doing great so far for its genre. Also it is said that the budget is about 30M RMB. That is quite expensive for a thriller/horror Chinese film. Usually these movies only cost 3M RMB to make.

Bunshinsaba 2 is actually a CFC (China Film Company) film. It has South Korean director, cast and post-production, hence the big budget.

Seems I was wrong ... about Mr. Go.

It opens today and is doing behind After Earth. Wom from general audience are also not encouraging. The fact that baseball is not popular in China might have hurt it. Also, the guy who was in charge of the marketing department of its distributor Huayi Brothers just left that company recently, which resulted many promotion works on the movie undone.

Mr Go wins Thursday with probably 12M. That is actually not bad. A total of 150M is possible.

Some statistics from Entgroup's Q2 market report:

Total films released within Q2 2013: 63 (Chinese 47, foreign 16), basically flat from 2012 Q2

Total gross generated within Q2 2013: RMB 5.7B (Chinese RMB 3.1B with 53% market share, foreign RMB 2.6B with 47% market share), increasing 39% from 2012 Q2

2013 Q2 is the first Q2 in history that Chinese films grossed more than foreign films, which is another of the countless proofs that local Chinese films are ever strong in the market. For comparisons, Q2 Chinese/foreign releases share in the past 5 years:

2009 (Q2) 1.19B Chinese 26% Foreign 74%

2010 (Q2) 15.9B Chinese 45% Foreign 55%

2011 (Q2) 3.0B Chinese 39% Foreign 61%

2012 (Q2) 4.54B Chinese 29% Foreign 71%

2013 (Q2) 6.05B Chinese 53% Foreign 47%

Usually Q2 (or Q3) is the strongest quarter of the year in terms of dominating market share for Hollywood releases. But even so, local films still managed to make more than foreign ones. This is the first time such things happen since 1994. Through end of June 2013, local films still keep a year-to-date makret share of around 61%.  I think the number should remain a similar range by end of the year.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1