A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

A possible future release, like what happened to EPIC, long delay or no release at all, depending on the need of CFC ...

Thanks, hopefully Disney has enough clout to be able to get a Chinese release of Frozen sometime in February.  

Saturday Refined.

The Four 2---------33.6m-------------- 60m
NML--------------  30.3m-------------- 108m
TWS-----------------15.8m------------156M
Gravity-----------10.3M---------------403m
CF-------------------2.5m --------------163m
Epic------------------5.6m---------------32m
Thor 2----------------------------------341m
Local
Foregn

Sunday est.

The Four 2---------26m-------------- 86,4m
NML--------------  26.3m-------------- 134m
TWS-----------------13.6m------------170M
Gravity------------8.5M---------------412m
CF-------------------2.0m --------------165m
Epic------------------5.6m-------------37.6m
Thor 2----------------------------------341m
Local
Foregn

It opened head to head with Gravity wich made more than 400M.

Gravity was definitely a factor, but I doubt CF would have done much better even if it opened without strong competition. The Hunger Games stories haven't caught on in China the way they have in the west.

Edited by Filmmogul

Weekly 49 box office (12.2~12.8):

1. No Man Land --------------------------- 134.6m ----- 134.6m

2. White Storm ---------------------------- 92m ----- 170.9m

3. The Four 2 -------------------------------- 87m ----- 87m

4. Gravity -------------------------------------- 51.1m ----- 411.9m

5. Catching Fire ----------------------------- 17.1m ----- 165.4m

6. Epic------------------------------------------ 14.6m ----- 37m

7. Welcome to the Punch --------------- 3m ----- 3m

8. Thor 2 -------------------------------------- 1.8m ----- 341.6m

9. KungFu Fighter --------------------------- 1m ----- 1m

#. Firestorm ----------------------------------- 0.18m ----- 0.18m

Week 49 totaled 405m yuan, up merely 8% from same week last year when LoP retained in a third time.

Weekly 49 box office (12.2~12.8):

1. No Man Land --------------------------- 134.6m ----- 134.6m

2. White Storm ---------------------------- 92m ----- 170.9m

3. The Four 2 -------------------------------- 87m ----- 87m

4. Gravity -------------------------------------- 51.1m ----- 411.9m

5. Catching Fire ----------------------------- 17.1m ----- 165.4m

6. Epic------------------------------------------ 14.6m ----- 37m

7. Welcome to the Punch --------------- 3m ----- 3m

8. Thor 2 -------------------------------------- 1.8m ----- 341.6m

9. KungFu Fighter --------------------------- 1m ----- 1m

#. Firestorm ----------------------------------- 0.18m ----- 0.18m

Week 49 totaled 405m yuan, up merely 8% from same week last year when LoP retained in a third time.

So far December 2013 is looking weak compared to last year. Unless Firestorm and Personal Tailor do huge business, this year's box office could be surprisingly flat.

Monday numbers.

The Four 2---------12.2m-------------- 99.5m
NML--------------  11.5m-------------- 147m
TWS-----------------7.3m---------------178M
Gravity-----------------------------------412m
CF-----------------------------------------165m
Epic--------------------------------------37.6m
Local
Foregn

Firestorm is having previews tonight. I booked a ticket without realizing it was a preview (I thought the release date was still 12/10), though I should've suspected something when I saw there were only two screenings for the whole day.

Edit: So Firestorm is pretty dumb. A lot of it is enjoyably dumb—imagine a movie that starts out aping Michael Mann, then escalates/devolves into Roland Emmerich—but it definitely feels like the work of a director who was out of his depth: everything is overgeared like crazy (this is a movie where a master criminal listens to Gregorian chants on his car stereo), there's a lot of editing that could be either affected artiness or just plain incompetence, and the plot is laughably heavy on contrivances. I don't mean "laughably" figuratively either, I mean that the Yao Chen/Lam Ka-tung scenes provoked so much unintended laughter from the audience that I wonder if they even test-screened this thing once. The movie would've been better if they'd been cut out entirely, but Andy's arc as it stands isn't enough to carry the movie. Part of that's because of the Mainland Co-Production Curse where you know full well that

he's not going to get away with it

, because otherwise it wouldn't be released. But another part of it is that Andy seems to be looking out for his nice-guy image by

not going full-on psycho

, which would've been a more interesting take on the cop-on-the-edge scenario. Too many missed opportunities. Really the only reason to see this is to watch a good chunk of Central get blown to shit with semi-convincing special effects.

Edited by Bob Violence

Firestorm is having previews tonight. I booked a ticket without realizing it was a preview (I thought the release date was still 12/10), though I should've suspected something when I saw there were only two screenings for the whole day.

Edit: So Firestorm is pretty dumb. A lot of it is enjoyably dumb—imagine a movie that starts out aping Michael Mann, then escalates/devolves into Roland Emmerich—but it definitely feels like the work of a director who was out of his depth: everything is overgeared like crazy (this is a movie where a master criminal listens to Gregorian chants on his car stereo), there's a lot of editing that could be either affected artiness or just plain incompetence, and the plot is laughably heavy on contrivances. I don't mean "laughably" figuratively either, I mean that the Yao Chen/Lam Ka-tung scenes provoked so much unintended laughter from the audience that I wonder if they even test-screened this thing once. The movie would've been better if they'd been cut out entirely, but Andy's arc as it stands isn't enough to carry the movie. Part of that's because of the Mainland Co-Production Curse where you know full well that

he's not going to get away with it

, because otherwise it wouldn't be released. But another part of it is that Andy seems to be looking out for his nice-guy image by

not going full-on psycho

, which would've been a more interesting take on the cop-on-the-edge scenario. Too many missed opportunities. Really the only reason to see this is to watch a good chunk of Central get blown to shit with semi-convincing special effects.

Nice review, Bob. I wouldn't mind seeing a good chunk of Central getting blown to shit.

Public holidays of 2014:

New Year's Day: January 1st

Spring Festival (Chinese New Year ): Jan. 31~Feb. 6

Tomb-sweeping Day(Qingming):Apr. 4~6

Labour Day:May 1~3

Dragon Boat Festival: May 31~Jun. 2

Mid-Autumn Festival: Sep. 6~8

National Day: Oct. 1~7

Edited by Olive
  • Like 1

Wednesday numbers.

The Four 2---------10.8m-------------- 121m
NML--------------  11.2m-------------- 169m
TWS-----------------7.3m---------------193M
Gravity-------------2.5m----------------420m
CF--------------------0.8m---------------168m
Epic--------------------------------------38.0m
Local
Foregn
CF may finish around 170M with Fire Storm wide open today.
Gravity will have IMAX until next thursday's Personal Tailor.
  • Like 2

Personal Tailor is getting an IMAX release? IMAX isn't mentioned in any of the publicity and I can't find any mention of it with Google or Baidu. Not saying it's impossible (I think they announced the IMAX version of The Grandmaster less than a week in advance), it's just the first I'm hearing of it.

Edited by Bob Violence