A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

As I mentioned a few pages earlier, Bait 3D seems to have obtained some relatively unusual status from SARFT. The certificate didn't show the usual "电审进字," and in fact it was a type I don't recall ever seeing before. Unfortunately I couldn't catch exactly what it was, though I think it had the character "乙" in it somewhere. I assume it's some sort of co-production status. Entgroup actually has it listed as a "China/Australia" production, which is interesting, since most English-language sources have it as an Australian-Singaporean production with no mention of Chinese involvement.

What makes it really dodgy here is that it's happening almost immediately after Looper was denied full co-production status at practically the last minute, ostensibly because it wasn't Chinese enough. Looper still got perks a normal import wouldn't have received -- mainly the Golden Week release date -- but it received a normal import certificate and China Film Group still served as the distribution authority (there is no CFG credit on Bait 3D). So a film that nobody regarded as a Chinese co-production until now apparently receives special treatment denied to a film with genuine and substantial Chinese production involvement. It's hard to avoid the conclusion that Bait 3D gamed the system, which is impressive for what's basically a direct-to-video-caliber film (and was in fact a direct-to-video film in the U.S.).

• Like 1

As I mentioned a few pages earlier, Bait 3D seems to have obtained some relatively unusual status from SARFT. The certificate didn't show the usual "电审进字," and in fact it was a type I don't recall ever seeing before. Unfortunately I couldn't catch exactly what it was, though I think it had the character "乙" in it somewhere. I assume it's some sort of co-production status. Entgroup actually has it listed as a "China/Australia" production, which is interesting, since most English-language sources have it as an Australian-Singaporean production with no mention of Chinese involvement.

It might be in a special status, not a legit co-production either a full importation.

Ralph Chinese posters:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hope for a success of Wreck-It Ralph in China :D

Do you have a schedule for Hollywood movies in China, I'm a little bit lost because I didn't follow these last months...According to Firedeep, no US movies in China after September, protectionnism and so on...But I'm happy it's wrong, it's an important market for Hollywood, I have big expectations for Iron Man 3 next year.

Ticket booked to see Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2. First screening, first day again :D

Twilight fan. :P

Seen it. Was ok. About 20 people in there. 18 of them were women. I was the only loner male in there. haha

Might do well. I expect its opening week not to be too embarrassing.

Expected. Though not bad for an early screening.

I hope for a success of Wreck-It Ralph in China :D

Do you have a schedule for Hollywood movies in China, I'm a little bit lost because I didn't follow these last months...According to Firedeep, no US movies in China after September, protectionnism and so on...But I'm happy it's wrong, it's an important market for Hollywood, I have big expectations for Iron Man 3 next year.

schedule ... Things change fast in China. :P

But I will give what I can:

BD1 10.23 (TODAY)

Bourne Legacy 10.25

Wreck-It Ralph 11.04

Remained undated 2012 major foreign releases:

2012 (3D), Rise of the Guardians and South Korea's

Deranged,

and one film that we dont know yet.

Things change fast in China. Ain't that the truth!

The Expendables and The Expendables 2 were only decided to be released 1 week before their release date. Talk about excitement!!

I too want good things for Wreck-It Ralph. That movie seems to have its heart in the right place. And yes, I do like Twilight, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. I don't read the books, and I thought BD1 was the worst of the series. Not going to see it then, firedeep? or maybe you will, but not tell us about it? :lol: