The Creator

Creator's Corner Year 5

8 members have voted

1. 1. Will your film be number one on my list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Numbers' will, of course!

Time to get a little dirty. The next 3 are all from riczhang. I'll review them in order from least favorite to favorite.

Worlds Apart

I was disappointed, to say the least. To say more, I was quite annoyed and irked by this movie. It was illogical at many times, and just downright idiotic at others. My biggest qualm is the idiocy and outright maliciousness of the villains, including the President of the United States. It seems the characters are either all good, or all bad, but no in-between, and the schemes seem ridiculous and far fetched. The ending felt convoluted and rushed, and randomly (well it felt random to me), Earth gets destroyed, which seemed to have nothing to do with the context of the first two hours of the movie, which focused on a world war. Some may argue that Dawn of Oblivion does a similar thing, but I digress. Worlds Apart just doesn't handle it well, and it felt forced. The effects are nice, though, and the action is fun and fills up a large portion of the film. In that sense, it is highly entertaining and an exhilerating ride, but I can't get past the follies of the characters and the plot, which reaks of a odorous acting and storytelling.

Fortunately, the next two are much better...

The 39 Clues: Maze of Bones

This was exciting. It was a cool adventure movie with a true sense of self and originality, and I appreciated the entertainment it provided. Is it a complex or well-acted film? Certainly not, but it is fun and remarkably swift-paced. I felt captivated throughout, and while the ending felt rushed, and the cliffhanger at the end was abrupt, it is mostly a very solid, enjoyable adventure flick and one of the year's more engaging blockbusters. The build-up in the beginning is tense and entertaining, and from there it becomes a wild joy ride, with good effects and decent acting. A very enjoyable film.

*I remember someone did this film in CAYOM 1.0 also, but this version was better than that one.

And lastly

Empty Hearth

Oh riczhang, you know me so well. Empty Hearth felt like There Will Be Blood: Part 2. Only not as good as its predecessor. But still damn good. Daniel Day Lewis is so good as Daniel Plainview once again. He really stands out and delivers one of the best and most memorable performances of the year, except that at times it really was just a rehash of Daniel Plainview from the previous movie in this unofficial duology (can it become a trilogy next?). His performance was golden and may earn him another Academy Award. The story itself was great, and very well fleshed out. One of the best pictures of the year (although I do feel it borrowed from There Will Be Blood in some aspects, but I know I'm pushing that a bit further out of context than its actual plot goes). Still, it is an original film, and the focus on the love angle is refreshing, especially in the tragic ending it has. My biggest qualm with the film is the ending, right as the sherriff is reading the diary and he starts tearing up over what the man who just killed his adoptive daughter had to say about how he felt of Eva. I thought that was a bit far-fetched (mostly just the tearing up to it). A stony expression would have worked much better than a tear. Still, a great movie and certainly one of the year's best, with great art direction, cinematography, and acting combined, and a wonderful script.

• Like 1

Dun dun dun dun...

CREATOR'S CORNER YEAR 5 - TOP 25

25. The House of the Scorpion

24. Santa Claus: Ultimate Badass

23. Penny Press

22. The Fault in Our Stars

21. The Affair

20. Lucid

19. Dragon Age: Onslaught

18. Some Assembly Required

17. Catharsis

16. The 39 Clues: The Maze of Bones

15. Psychonauts

14. Oro

13. StarCraft: The Fury of the Swarm

12. The Next Dimension

11. The Dogs of Babel

10. The Shark Mutiny

9. Celia, A Slave

8. Hindenburg

7. Shiverin' Gulch

6. The Eccentric Minds of Belmond Lane

5. Corso

4. Dawn of Oblivion

3. Killer Husband

2. Past Tense

1. Empty Hearth

*bold denotes the BP nominees.

• Like 3

Thanks for #1!!! :D And 5 films on the list as well. Like the Corso love as well. I personally thought it was a bit to straight forward of a biopic, and didn't focus enough on a single moment.

Edited by riczhang