kayumanggi

PHILIPPINES BOX OFFICE thread​ | INSIDE OUT II breaks records. Only the last two AVENGERS movies opened bigger on opening day. But can it beat FROZEN II's total?

Wolf of Wall Street is tentatively schedule for Jan.15. No date for Anchorman 2 yet.

Anyway, no new update from Mojo yet but I have a Hobbit 2 press release I forgot to post here a few days ago:

THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG” REIGNS ACROSS PH WEEKEND BOX OFFICE
via press release

MANILA, December 16, 2013 – “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” a production of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures (MGM), charged to the top of the box office in its opening weekend, earning P76.65-million on 321 screens in the Philippines, including seven IMAX theatres.

“Smaug” broke the opening weekend gross of last year's “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” which bowed with P55-million, and bested the openings of recent blockbusters in the same genre, notably “Avatar” (P57.6-M) and “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest” (P51.6-M).

The announcement was made today by Francis Soliven, General Manager of Warner Bros. (F.E.), Inc., the film's local distributor.

“The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” is the second film in Oscar®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson’s epic “The Hobbit” Trilogy, based on the timeless novel by J.R.R. Tolkien. The first film in the Trilogy, “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” went on to gross P137.6-million in the Philippines and a billion dollars worldwide.

Opening day showings, were sold out weeks in advance and thousands of fans waited in line to be among the first to see the movie. The film was released in High Frame Rate 3D (HFR 3D) in select theaters, other 2D and 3D formats, and IMAX®.

Soliven stated, “Moviegoers in the Philippines have been waiting to rejoin the adventure with Bilbo and the Company of Dwarves, and Peter Jackson and his team have delivered another great adventure for fans and newcomers alike. On the heels of this fantastic opening, word-of-mouth and the continued positive critical response ensure great playability into the Holiday season.”

The top grossing cinemas are led by SM Mall of Asia (P4.46-M), followed by SM North EDSA (P3.57-M) and Trinoma (P3.56-M).

Also posting huge receipts are SM Megamall (P2.80-M), SM Cebu (P2.68-M), Greenbelt 3 (P2.63-M), Glorietta 4 (P2.57-M), Power Plant (P1.81-M), SM Aura (P1.80-M) and Gateway (P1.78-M).

Rounding up the Top 20 theaters are Newport (P1.65-M), Alabang Town Center (P1.60-M), Eastwood (P1.507-M), Theatremall (P1.503-M), Ayala Cebu (P1.42-M), SM Southmall (P1.341-M), Robinsons Galleria (P1.340-M), Shang Cineplex (P1.31-M), Robinsons Magnolia (P1.16-M) and (tie) Gaisano Davao (P1.08-M) & SM Clark (P1.08-M).

From Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson comes “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” the second in a trilogy of films adapting the enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf the Grey, with Martin Freeman in the central role of Bilbo Baggins, and Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield. The international ensemble cast is led by Benedict Cumberbatch, Evangeline Lilly, Lee Pace, Luke Evans, Stephen Fry, Ken Stott, James Nesbitt, and Orlando Bloom as Legolas. The film also stars Mikael Persbrandt, Sylvester McCoy, Aidan Turner, Dean O’Gorman, Graham McTavish, Adam Brown, Peter Hambleton, John Callen, Mark Hadlow, Jed Brophy, William Kircher, Stephen Hunter, Ryan Gage, John Bell, Manu Bennett and Lawrence Makoare.

The screenplay for “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” is by Fran Walsh & Philippa Boyens & Peter Jackson & Guillermo del Toro based on the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien. Jackson also produced the film, together with Carolynne Cunningham, Zane Weiner and Fran Walsh. The executive producers are Alan Horn, Toby Emmerich, Ken Kamins and Carolyn Blackwood, with Philippa Boyens and Eileen Moran serving as co-producers.

New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Present a WingNut Films Production, “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.” The film is a production of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures (MGM), with New Line managing production. Warner Bros. Pictures is handling worldwide theatrical distribution, with select international territories as well as all international television distribution being handled by MGM.

• Like 1

As much as it pains me to say it, receipts for the opening day of the 2013 MMFF were around 12% higher than those of last year's. Why can't the MMFF entries be more like Boy Golden & Pedro Calungsod? Films that actually showcase Filipino culture & history. :/

As much as it pains me to say it, receipts for the opening day of the 2013 MMFF were around 12% higher than those of last year's.Why can't the MMFF entries be more like Boy Golden & Pedro Calungsod? Films that actually showcase Filipino culture & history. :/

It's all about the money, money, money.

I miss the JOSE RIZAL and MURO AMI kind of movies.

• Like 1

TW LW Movie Studio Weekend Gross Change Screens Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week
1 N The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug WB $1,736,322 - 321 - $5,409 $1,736,322 1
2 1 Frozen (2013) Disney $312,972 -42.4% 59 -14 $5,305 $2,001,758 3
3 4 Call Center Girl Star Cin. $81,549 -66.6% 40 -65 $2,039 $1,314,784 3
4 3 The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Pioneer $63,427 -77.0% 45 -115 $1,409 $5,748,775 4
5 2 Ender's Game n/a $63,201 -77.4% 50 -65 $1,264 $437,425 2
6 5 When the Love Is Gone n/a $38,509 -79.1% 30 -65 $1,284 $825,439 3
7 8 Thor: The Dark World Disney $1,753 -78.3% 3 -7 $584 $7,947,315 7
8 6 Delivery Man Disney $827 -99.4% 2 -49 $414 $155,001 2
9 9 The Counselor Fox $221 +11.6% 2 - $111 $197,856 5

• Like 1

I saw 6 MMFF movies. I missed Little Bossings because the reviews are really awful and Kaleidoscope World because the screen count shrunk to less than 10 by Dec 28 and I read a review that it had sound problems and no way I'm payin for a movie where there are parts that you can't hear  it lol. Here are quick thoughts of the 6 movies:

Boy Golden's story is meh but the production design is really impressive and one really great action scene involving KC Concepcion and a Chinese woman which was amazing to watch.

The BP Winner 10,000 Hours is generally good and the production values are polished (half the movie was shot  in Amsterdam). The story is good but since this is based from Lacson's life there's somehow a political agenda. On The Job had a better story about crime & poilitics in the country IMO.

Girl Boy Bakla and Tomboy is not as awful as I thought it would be. Still a pang-masa comedy but me and my family had lots of laughs. The production of the 4 Vice Gandas is actually good as it was realistic especially with scenes where 4 siblings are there. 

Pagpag had good production values but it is not scary at all.

Kimmy Dora: Ang Kiyemeng Prequel is not as funny as the first one, this one really felt tired.  But I'll give it points for solid production design and good action scenes (Sam Milby vs Eugene's Dora one-on-one fight scene was really good)

Pedro Calungsod was just OK, felt repetitive at times and it was obvious that it had small budget.

Edited by forg

JANUARY RELEASES:

[*]Jan-08-2014 47 RONIN [*]Jan-08-2014 WALKING WITH DINOSAURS [*]Jan-08-2014 LONE SURVIVOR

[*]Jan-15-2014 JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT [*]Jan-15-2014 THE WOLF OF WALL STREET [*]Jan-15-2014 BRIDE FOR RENT [*]Jan-15-2014 GRUDGE MATCH

[*]Jan-22-2014 MUMBAI LOVE [*]Jan-22-2014 THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY [*]Jan-22-2014 THE NUT JOB [*]Jan-22-2014 POLICE STORY 2013

[*]Jan-29-2014 PARANORMAL ACTIVITY: THE MARKED ONES [*]Jan-29-2014 SNOWPIERCER [*]Jan-29-2014 EMPIRE STATE [*]Jan-29-2014 THE ADVENTURER: THE CURSE OF THE MIDAS BOX

• Like 3

It's all about the money, money, money.

I miss the JOSE RIZAL and MURO AMI kind of movies.

Unfortunately, despite being great, those movies did not earn that much so GMA Films shut down for couple of years before returning in 2005 and they made romcoms and other mass appealing movies since then.

On The Job is a fantastic movie, with stars and supported and marketed by a major studio, but still disappointed in the box office (only 13mil with a reported budget of 50M) :(

There are still a lot of quality local movies which are seen in local Film Festivals though (Cinemalaya, Cinema One Originals)

Theaters in malls operate at a loss most of the time,if they were not part of malls they could have shut down as well like the standalone theaters. There's actually a threat right now that some of the theaters in provincial malls could shutdown as the malls could just lease the space to BPO companies.

MMFF is actually the time where provincial theaters earned huge because the big Hollywood blockbusters mostly earn from Metro Manila theaters. That's why when a local movie hits it big time (just like It Takes a Man and a Woman) it can beat Hollywood blockbusters because of stronger nationwide appeal thus better provincial theater performance.

So I know a lot of people hate MMFF (and for good reason) but they help keep the theater business alive.  The financial stakes are just high now than it was before.

Edited by forg
  • Like 2