Dementeleus

Weekend numbers thread (close between TH and DU 31.5-31 so far)

It would be a pleasant surprise if Django would take first place from The Hobbit. Currently, the odds are in favor of Django.

It would be absolutely phenomenal because of the disaprity of theaters, R vs PG-13 rating and LM having been tipped to take #1 or #2. But either way, this unexpected photofinish is insane. I hope it boosts Django standing with the Oscars. It has it all now - stellar reviews and bone fide blockbuster status which should make up for getting late to schmooze some precursors.

It would be absolutely phenomenal because of the disaprity of theaters, R vs PG-13 rating and LM having been tipped to take #1 or #2. But either way, this unexpected photofinish is insane. I hope it boosts Django standing with the Oscars. It has it all now - stellar reviews and bone fide blockbuster status which should make up for getting late to schmooze some precursors.

Will be interesting to see who will be nominated for Oscar's. Even though it's pretty clear, the Academy never failed to surprise us by nominating some movies that aren't supposed to be there at all.Maybe they'll give Tarantino his 5th Oscar? (or maybe his fifth and sixth since he usually gets nominated for both Writing and Directing)

Will be interesting to see who will be nominated for Oscar's. Even though it's pretty clear, the Academy never failed to surprise us by nominating some movies that aren't supposed to be there at all.Maybe they'll give Tarantino his 5th Oscar? (or maybe his fifth and sixth since he usually gets nominated for both Writing and Directing)

Tarantino deserves to be nominated as the director. I don`t think Django`s missing a Best Picture nom now.The WOM must be out of this world. It has great humor as opposed to no humor (LM) or bad humor (TH,PG). It has blood soaked battles as opposed to bloodless ones (TH). It has real star power doing something completely different (Leo) as opposed to no stars (TH) and stars who we already saw singing (Jackman, Hathaway). It has trully engaging characters on all sides of good/bad spectrum. And though I adore Riddles in the Dark, Django dinner blows it out of water. Completely. Like, woosh! Tsunami.
  • Like 1

Fish, is there a school or maybe night classes that we can take to be able to write and talk like you? Im serious, your brain works like no one else on these forums. You see things and interpret them in a way that is truly uncanny. I'd seriously sign up for a class to be able to post the way you do. You are like the Most Interesting Man in the World, except, "YOU'RE NO MAN!" SHRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKK!!!!

• Like 1

Hobbit sold 1,378,000 tickets on Friday.DU sold 1,242,900 tickets on Friday.Case closed ;)

I'm talking about the weekend. Case reopened, then closed in favour of me.And where do you get your numbers from? Hobbit has IMAX and 3D, DU has none of those, so I think DU might have even won Friday. Edited by baumer

Tarantino deserves to be nominated as the director. I don`t think Django`s missing a Best Picture nom now.The WOM must be out of this world. It has great humor as opposed to no humor (LM) or bad humor (TH,PG). It has blood soaked battles as opposed to bloodless ones (TH). It has real star power doing something completely different (Leo) as opposed to no stars (TH) and stars who we already saw singing (Jackman, Hathaway). It has trully engaging characters on all sides of good/bad spectrum. And though I adore Riddles in the Dark, Django dinner blows it out of water. Completely. Like, woosh! Tsunami.

I smell a Tarantino fanboy ;)

Fish, is there a school or maybe night classes that we can take to be able to write and talk like you? Im serious, your brain works like no one else on these forums. You see things and interpret them in a way that is truly uncanny. I'd seriously sign up for a class to be able to post the way you do. You are like the Most Interesting Man in the World, except, "YOU'RE NO MAN!" SHRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKK!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :wub: :wub:

I think I spend too much time reading ADF. They have a couple of crazy brains over there so they rub off or something.

• Like 1

Hobbit sold 1,378,000 tickets on Friday.DU sold 1,242,900 tickets on Friday.Case closed ;)

Care to share how you calculated? There's a 3$ or 4$ price difference for each ticket. It can't be that close, yet Hobbit is in front...Nevermind...thought it was for weekend. Edited by ChD

I smell a Tarantino fanboy ;)

And I smell a Jacksonite who either didn`t get DU in his/her theater yet or is too busy watching TH to take a break and see something that may change his/her POV on what great script, directing, characterisation,acting, humor, action, cinematrography, costuming,etc really are. If you haven`t seen DU than I can understand why you may think that plates tossing is the hight of humor but I dare you to think like that after seeing DU`s KKK scene. Also, what DU actors do actingwise is what TH actors would never be able to. None of them gave their 100% in TH (Serkis was great but Gollum is always the same, no stretch here) nor PJ gave his 100%. I`ve seen the movies so I can compare. OTOH, DU is A+ game accross the board. That you can`t get from BBC Z-listers. Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

I'm talking about the weekend. Case reopened, then closed in favour of me.

With the Sat. increases in store for TH1, I think not.DU is comparable to Girl With The Dragon Tattoo last year. Both are hard-R violent movies that got good WOM during the holidays. DT fell 20 percent on Saturday. I see a 15 percent drop for DU. And since New Year's has the same percent changes as Christmas, then Hobbit would win with $32-36M. DU would finish with $27M.

With the Sat. increases in store for TH1, I think not.DU is comparable to Girl With The Dragon Tattoo last year. Both are hard-R violent movies that got good WOM during the holidays. DT fell 20 percent on Saturday. I see a 15 percent drop for DU. And since New Year's has the same percent changes as Christmas, then Hobbit would win with $32-36M. DU would finish with $27M.

Are you on crack? Did you not see Saturday numbers? DU went up almost 20% on Saturday and almost passed Floppit for the day. 1. The Hobbit (MGM/Wwarner Bros) Week 3 [Runs 4,100] PG13Friday $10.7M, Saturday $11.3M, Weekend $31.5M, Est Cume $221.3M2. Django Unchained (Sony/Weinstein) Week 1 [Runs 3,010] RFriday $9.6M, Saturday $11.2M, Weekend $31.0M, Est Cume $64.0M3. Les Misérables (Working Title/Universal) Week 1 [Runs 2,814] PG13Friday $9.4M, Saturday $9.7M, Weekend $27.4M, Est Cume $66.8M4. Parental Guidance (Walden/Fox) Week 1 [Runs 3,367] PGFriday $5.0M, Saturday $5.1M, Weekend $14.4M, Est Cume $29.0M5. Jack Reacher (Skydance/Paramount) Week 2 [Runs 3,352] PG13Friday $4.5M, Saturday $5.2M, Weekend $14.0M, Est Cume $44.5M6. This Is 40 (Universal) Week 2 [Runs 2,914] RFriday $4.1M, Saturday $4.5M, Weekend $12.5M, Est Cume $36.4M7. Lincoln (DreamWorks/Fox/Disney) Week 8 [Runs 1,966] PG13Friday $2.3M, Saturday $2.6M, Weekend $7.5M, Est Cume $132.0M8. The Guilt Trip (Skydance/Paramount) Week 2 [Runs 2,431] PG13Friday $2.0M, Saturday $2.5M, Weekend $7.0M, Est Cume $21.4M9. Monsters Inc 3D (Pixar/Disney) Week 2 [Runs 2,618] GFriday $2.2M, Saturday $2.2M, Weekend $6.2M, Est Cume $18.3M10. Rise Of The Guardians (DWA/Par) Week 5 [Runs 3,031]Friday $1.7M, Saturday $1.6M, Weekend $5.0M, Est Cume $90.4M