Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

How is it pretentious, though? I think it was a pretty straightforward political drama

I think ric has said this too. The way the camera moved was ridiculous. Shots of unimportant people during long speeches. Idk, it just screamed "THIS IS A SPIELBERG MOVIE. LOOK!"
  • Like 1

How is it pretentious, though? I think it was a pretty straightforward political drama

It takes itself too seriously. It's tries to make important characters with an inflated sense of self importance, even more important than how important their egos say they are. It's all really ridiculous. 

And the cinematography was just eck. It's too dark at times, and at other times too bright. The interiors sucked, and it was oversaturated at many points. 

It takes itself too seriously. It's tries to make important characters with an inflated sense of self importance, even more important than how important their egos say they are. It's all really ridiculous. And the cinematography was just eck. It's too dark at times, and at other times too bright. The interiors sucked, and it was oversaturated at many points. 

This

I think ric has said this too. The way the camera moved was ridiculous. Shots of unimportant people during long speeches. Idk, it just screamed "THIS IS A SPIELBERG MOVIE. LOOK!"

You obviosly looked deeper into the movie than i did. Never considered the camera movements distracting
  • Like 1

Btw if you dont even hate the movie, why do you go :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: every time someone mentions enjoying some aspect of it?

I only do it when people say it's the most important masterpiece of our time or the best film of the year.

Why do you always criticize me when I don't agree with the majority? It's the same thing as you attaching me for having an opinion.

I dont know man. I've tried to cut down mocking peoples opinions, but it still happens. I've gotten plenty of shit for my taste too

Pretentious (yes, I used it) Oscar whoring directing by Spielberg.

And this is why the word should be banned, because you using it to describe Lincoln is completely fucking insane.

A film about the eradication of slavery is impossible to be pretentious, because the subject matter IS that fucking important.

And ric, how does it take itself too seriously? How the fuck does a film about the most beloved president in U.S. history and the most important abolitionist politician in U.S. history, combining forces to push a constitutional amendment to end slavery in the midst of the Civil War, take itself too fucking seriously?

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

And this is why the word should be banned, because you using it to describe Lincoln is completely fucking insane.A film about the eradication of slavery is impossible to be pretentious, because the subject matter IS that fucking important.

I know. I don't like using pretentious at all. I'm talking about the way the film was made, not the subject matter.

And this is why the word should be banned, because you using it to describe Lincoln is completely fucking insane.

A film about the eradication of slavery is impossible to be pretentious, because the subject matter IS that fucking important.

And ric, how does it take itself too seriously? How the fuck does a film about the most beloved president in U.S. history and the most important abolitionist politician in U.S. history, combining forces to push a constitutional amendment to end slavery in the midst of the Civil War, take itself too fucking seriously?

The entire movie irks me to no end. I know Slavery is a fucking important topic, but all of the slow zooms, and camera work really IMO tries to frame abolishing slavery as even more important than it really actually is. I don't say that lightly because abolishing slavery is extremely important and it still amazes me how Spielberg managed to make it even more important than it actually was. I do have to say that I haven't lived in the states, I did not receive my education in the states so maybe I am missing the point on how important Americans think that entire affair was. I just think he's managed to take something important and make it even more so; Slavery is important enough of a topic that it can stand on its own two feet without someone trying to shove it in your face.