Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

Havent seen the trailer yet. I'm a fan of Boyle for sure. I love Shallow Grave, Slumdog, 127 Hours and Trainspotting, one of my top 10 favorite movies

The plot is some generic type of heist thing it seems. But as usual it looks as if Boyle directed the fuck out of it.

Good as in 'even more depressing'? I have to say, these performances are damn phenomenal.

In a way but it just really is a spectacular tribute to the wonder of human life, the resilience of love, the heartbreak of illness, and the cynicism of family moving on. There's a gasp moment coming up sometime soon depending on where you are.
  • Like 1

In a way but it just really is a spectacular tribute to the wonder of human life, the resilience of love, the heartbreak of illness, and the cynicism of family moving on.There's a gasp moment coming up sometime soon depending on where you are.

What has so far surprised me the most is how invested I am in these characters. I mean, I just dont understand why so many people think this film is boring to them

And this just sounds condescending. I will have you know that I know what I'm talking about with each shot. I recently wrote two pieces one on the aesthetic value of the movie and another on the intent of the last scene.Just because the camera doesn't move doesn't mean that there's no directing involved. By your logic then Ozu didn't ever do much of a directing job.And this is speech to text right? Cus I had a bit of a hard time reading some of it.

Yes, it was voice to text. Look, I apologize if I come off as condescending. It's not my intent. I just don't see much brilliance in the direction. You do, and that's fine. IMO, the directing should not have been nominated over Affleck. You do and I can respect that. I apologize if I offended you.

Speaking of difficult movies to sit through, I had a very hard time with Boys Don't Cry and Monster.The parts played by Charlize and Swank were baity but God, it was so harsh, psychologicaly violent that I am still amazed AMPAS voted for these two performances.Those two movies are more depressive and bleak than any horror movie.Would you say Amour is as tough as Monster and Boys don't Cry in the bleak departement ?

IMO, tougher. You watch a once very proud woman just get completely incapacitated. And that is heartbreaking. I don't want to spoil it but it is a film about a partner who goes through a very tough time. I was very sad, especially the last 30 minutes.

What has so far surprised me the most is how invested I am in these characters. I mean, I just dont understand why so many people think this film is boring to them

Because it's a very mature subject. And (no offense to anyone...) not a lot of youth can watch a film about two old people dealing with a very depressing issue.

Good, so we're fine now. And I do apologise for sounding pretentious. I kinda come off as that sometimes if I don't watch myself.

As do I and it is not my intent. I respect everyone's opinion here on film (well most...lol). And you are obviously quite knowledgeable and have a passion for it. So it's okay to disagree. :)