Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

Gene Hackman won that year. Both were great though!

Yes, I just looked it up. I'm still stunned. I really thought he won that year.....lol....I forgot about Gene.

I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but you do realize that films are a collaberative effort, don't you?

Yes. Emphasis on Collaborative. I don't see that so much in beasts. There's one guy controlling everything. The girl is charming sure, but in the film it doesn't come off to me as a collaborative effort. She did nothing more and nothing less than exactly what Zeitlin told her to, there's no extra actor's touch or spirit in the performance. Hush puppy isn't a horrible character, don't get me wrong, my problem is with how it came to be.

Jack wins for the weirdest roles. Ok, besides cuckoo. But winning for terms of endearment?? As good as it gets??

He was really good in As Good as It Gets.

BTW, why hasn't he been sitting in the front row at the Oscars, grinning his ass off, in the last few years?

Yes. Emphasis on Collaborative. I don't see that so much in beasts. There's one guy controlling everything. The girl is charming sure, but in the film it doesn't come off to me as a collaborative effort. She did nothing more and nothing less than exactly what Zeitlin told her to, there's no extra actor's touch or spirit in the performance. Hush puppy isn't a horrible character, don't get me wrong, my problem is with how it came to be.

Nothing is in the can until the director says its in the can. They are the master. Every performance is helped along because of the director. Doesn't matter if you are Riva or this performance.

Jack wins for the weirdest roles. Ok, besides cuckoo. But winning for terms of endearment?? As good as it gets??

Those were great performances and IIRC those years were kinda weak for those categories. My favorite performance from Jack was The Shining and of course that's like the only time he wasn't nominated. lol.

Those were great performances and IIRC those years were kinda weak for those categories. My favorite performance from Jack was The Shining and of course that's like the only time he wasn't nominated. lol.

And Kubrick did 100 takes for many scenes in that film.

He was really good in As Good as It Gets.

BTW, why hasn't he been sitting in the front row at the Oscars, grinning his ass off, in the last few years?

Yeah, but they don't seem like performances he would win for. Chinatown, afgm, easy rider seem more worthy for a 3 time Oscar winner than terms and AGAIG.
  • Like 1

Nothing is in the can until the director says its in the can. They are the master. Every performance is helped along because of the director. Doesn't matter if you are Riva or this performance.

Yeah, but at the same time there's people like Meryl who can have a 5 year old direct them and still give THEIR performance, not the director's. Edited by acsc1312

I don't deny that. But performances like Riva's, like Cotillard's, and etc. all have a bit of the actor inside of them, in addition to the director's vision. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place but I don't see that in Wallis.

Yes. Emphasis on Collaborative. I don't see that so much in beasts. There's one guy controlling everything.

Kubrick was a total control freak. So each of his actors were his puppets. There's no "magical unexpected touch" in their performance, everything is calculated to the extreme.
  • Like 1

Meh, his performance in terms was pretty good, but not for a win. Plus he was supporting and not lead. But then again everyone from that movie got nominated except for Jeff Daniels :lol:. Lithgow definitely didn't deserve a nom.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest might actually be the greatest film ever made. I'm being serious

I don't think it's quite the masterpiece it's made to be, but jack was great in it. He definitely should've won for Chinatown.

Yeah, but at the same time there's people like Meryl who can have a 5 year old direct them and still give THEIR performance, not the director's.

Yes, but Meryl is in a class by herself imo. There's only one Jordan, one Gretzky, one Spielberg, one Michael Phelps and one Meryl Streep. These are icons of icons.

Kubrick was a total control freak. So each of his actors were his puppets. There's no "magical unexpected touch" in their performance, everything is calculated to the extreme.

That's true, it's the same problem Ihave with Te current Fincher. Films are lifeless, but impeccably made from a technical sense.